SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:15 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know their way round an FF6 for 2.4GHz conversion?

Basically I have been given an old FF8 with and Assan module in it. Which is gine, BUT the unit is so old te switches are unreliable and te pots scratch a little.

I am wondering about taking an Assan RF module and butchering an FF6 to take it, since I have one spare now, and I know my way around it.

I would basically want to remove/disable it's RF entirely, take the output from the encoder and shove that and the power into an Assan module, and probably wire a new antenna to replace the HF one entirely.

I'd like it to behave otherwise entirely normally - i.e. trainer switch should work, and normal charger stuff as well.

Probably extend the LED that comes on, on the Assan, and make a little hole in the case rear for it to poke through.

So anyone know where the relevant parts live in the FF6? Or have a full schematic?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Last edited by vintage1; Jun 12, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
I's start by opening up the FF6 and taking some good high res pictures to post.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:34 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Wont get around to that today, but yes, a good idea..
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
My contribution:
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:36 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
OK, it looks like we cant lose the total RF board cost there's a lot else on it..so probably best to break into it at the trainer cord area.

I'll have a look see when I get time.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
OK, I had a god look and pulled one FF6 as far as I dared. I even read the mmanual.

1/. The trainer port is 4 wire: I surmise
- Power for slave TX..commoned between master and slave. Whichever set is 'on' supplies the power. I assume diodes feed this so that the slave transmitters RF section is not powered up.
- ground. Commoned.
- PPM out to slave
- PPM in from master.

This implies a buddy lead would cross two wires in it so that the In/Out pins connect correctly.

2/. Futaba slave Tx'es are explicitly used switched off: they take power from the master.

3/. The trainer switch is a simple push to close affair, so the selection of which PPM stream to apply to the RF stage must be in logic.

This suggests that some butchering will be required: It doesn't look easy to both go 2.4 and have the trainer switch still work.

Initial thoughts are to pick up power, signal and ground from the trainer port, and simply remove the crystal from the RF area.

Better would be to break into the final PPM stream to the RF section, after the trainer switch logic, and use that to drive the Assan, and remove all power from the RF section completely, along with the HF antenna. This will require cutting the right traces on the PCB though. And the mods will be fairly irreversible.

-
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
My Thoughts too.

May be we can interrupt the traces in the pcb (the ones that feed the ppm signal to the RF pcb part), and then feed the signal to the 2,4GHz module.

With luck, it's easy to reverse the work if the things go wrong.

One Question,
The 2,4Ghz module accepts a clean ppm signal? If so, why are multiplex owners playing with pics (processor) to change the signal that came from the multiplex radios (there is some threads in rcg with the success changing).
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:37 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmralves
My Thoughts too.

May be we can interrupt the traces in the pcb (the ones that feed the ppm signal to the RF pcb part), and then feed the signal to the 2,4GHz module.

With luck, it's easy to reverse the work if the things go wrong.
Yes. I probably need to get a scope to mine,which will take a visit to a not so local friend.

Quote:

One Question,
The 2,4Ghz module accepts a clean ppm signal? If so, why are multiplex owners playing with pics (processor) to change the signal that came from the multiplex radios (there is some threads in rcg with the success changing).
I really don't know: Have you got more detail on that?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmralves

One Question,
1) For Futaba Fasst, they need to for different reasons...(pulse polarity, failsafe etc.)
2) for Assan, nothing is needed...All I did with my MPX Cockpit was connect the X8F module to my trainer input plug
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 03, 2008, 12:48 PM
damn gravity again
trowbridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
664 Posts
hi

i got a ff6 here that i wanted too put too 2.4 assan as well
i was hoping just too wire the module on too the trainer port wires
is this possible

thanx
Dylan
supershuey is offline Find More Posts by supershuey
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:20 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Its possible: A good friend who calls hinself WorkInProgress is possibly gong to donate and even older Futaba for me to hack, as he thinks my FF6's are too nice to spoil.

I've been up to my in show stuff and garden work - just layed a nice slab base for a greenhouse, so this project has gone on a back burner till probably those long winter nights when I can blag a 'scope and start committing electrical buggery on an old Futaba.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 05:07 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Those old gold metal box Futabas should have an RF module with pins inside.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 03, 2008, 06:48 PM
damn gravity again
Joined Jan 2004
664 Posts
hi

do you know where we can find which pins i need too put the
wires from the ff6 too the module pins
ive got the ff6 taken apart and have just got the 4 wires from the
trainer socket but no idea which ones go where in the module

thanx
Dylan
Old Jul 03, 2008, 09:36 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
looking at the connector on the module, with antenna connection away from you they are (left to right)

-not connected (RF out)
-ground
-ground (RF OK)
-power (battery +)
-PPM (with pull up resistor supplying pull up voltage)

The middle pin is really for the RF OK light which gets pulled to ground when the RF is good. Since you are using the trainer port, it won't matter and you can leave it not connected.

Now you may have a problem in connecting this to the trainer port. As far as I know, the trainer port will have an inverted PPM pulse compared to the normal RF module connection, so you may need to make an inverting buffer out of an NPN transistor.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 04, 2008, 02:00 AM
damn gravity again
Joined Jan 2004
664 Posts
hi

thanx for the info any idea how or where i could find out which wire are which in the ff6

Dylan