Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,562 Posts
Build Log
XB-70 Valkyrie Build Log

After too much talking and not enough doing, I've decided to build an XB-70 from a modified set of plans by Steven Wong. I've enlarged the original plans to a 25" wingspan and added a full flying canard as well as a bomb bay. I've deleted the landing gear and changed the shape of the bottom of the engine inlet somewhat to accomodate the changes I mentioned.

The inspiration for this project was the stunning success of my B-52 pusher and the level of interest it has generated at my field. I plan on starting to post a detailed set of build pics starting today. This will go fairly quickly as I want to have this one done in time for our upcoming electric flight festival on June 21st.

Wish me luck!
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,054 Posts
i dont know if you knew, but i built a XB70 last year. it flew awsome. had 2 PJ's with CR 5.5x4.5 props on a 2100 3s. went about 100mph. it was a blast. rvincent has it now, and flies it from time to time. very stable, and really neat to see in the air. the only issue with it, is that it "digs" in alot while turning sharp, or pulling to the vertical in high G mode....but this is a known trate of all high sweep deltas. its a great flyer, and a super easy build. you wont be disapointed!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
Detroit
Joined Apr 2008
20 Posts
One my list to build so I look forward to seeing yours!!!!
Orion_VP31 is offline Find More Posts by Orion_VP31
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,562 Posts
I've got most of the parts cut out and will be starting assembly this evening. The first pictures should be posted sometime tonight.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Oh snap!!! Looking forward to it.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:05 AM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
Great! After your B-52 build this should be very interesting. I looked at building one also but have decided on the SR-71 instead. No bomb drops for me....yet!
agriebel is offline Find More Posts by agriebel
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:26 AM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
You said that you resized it to fit on one sheet of depron. What does that make your wingspan and length compared to the wong plans?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:12 AM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
just in case anybody is interesed, here are some photos of the infamous crash.
It was a formation flight of GE powered aircraft for publicity photos.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:30 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agriebel
You said that you resized it to fit on one sheet of depron. What does that make your wingspan and length compared to the wong plans?

Actually, I enlarged it. It took about a sheet and a half to cut all the parts out. The wingspan with the wingtips in the 'up' position is 25" I plan on having mine bent down about 10-15 degrees.

Great pix! I'm always amazed at the fact that the Valkyrie kept on flying as long as it did. The damage from the impact was pretty severe, and this was long before the days of flight computers and fly-by-wire systems that could compensate for the damaged systems.
Last edited by KFC; Jun 13, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:58 AM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
I was planning on a SR-71, but now I may build along with you. 25" wingspan seems a little small, if I turn the depron the other way I can go up to a 39" wing span which will make the plane about 60" long. However that will require piecing together two pieces for the fuselage, not my first choice! Are you going to do a single pusher or twin? I have a LSSPJ just waiting. It should be able to handle it even if I make it bigger.

Allen
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
I just made some measurements and found that a LSPJ has a diameter of just under 1". that means that it should fit totally within the engine housing!
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,054 Posts
i built my XB70 from fuels guy plans. had to guess at the CG...and it was perfect! youd have to ask bob to measure it though....i dont have any pics of my xb on this comp...they are on my old one still im sure bob has some pics though.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:24 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Good luck on the build! I built an XB-70 from fuelsguy's plans, complete with Steven Wong's folding wingtip design. Mine also "digs" into turns like corsair nut mentioned, but it's still fun to fly.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:12 AM
I'm just here to fly
Sarasota,Florida
Joined Jun 2007
991 Posts
Have you guys tried rolling your XB-70s'?Mine rolls at like 720 dgrees a second.I was afraid it was going to disintigrate.Mine was basically a test airframe.It is 1/48 scale.
Steve
f86esabre is offline Find More Posts by f86esabre
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
Madison WI
Joined Aug 2003
1,805 Posts
Was the forward canard an actual canard or was it a flying wing? Some have said that the model is too small for a real canard to be useful. How big does it have to be to be of use?
Site Sponsor