HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey on the subject of foam- has anyone tried spray painting the bare cores before gooping/ taping/ laminating etc? Does the covering still stick?
Cheers
Josh
YES!
some years ago I did myself a vacum bagged speed wing, I used standart cheap foam cutted on CNC machine, glued both sides, spar, etc...then I spray some paint on it, let it cure and then vacum bag, I also put some sild draw using Ferrari logo
The fiber cloth got good attach on foam even after the paint and the finishing looks very good for a home made toy

Cheers,
André
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey on the subject of foam- has anyone tried spray painting the bare cores before gooping/ taping/ laminating etc? Does the covering still stick?
Cheers
Josh
I painted the cores of my RIP HP-60 with enamel rattle can paint then covered with NS. Worked OK. The fiinish OK from 15 ft away.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 48 Inch Gulp SR-T
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,226 Posts
Thanks guys, its for a light build moth. I just wanted a few fluro highlights under the laminating film. I'll experiment on some scraps and make sure it works with this paint.
Cheers fellas
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,298 Posts
My moth weighs in @ 19 oz fuse is taped and gooped Wing is white ultracote and covered with 5 mil NS with an extra layer over the le back to the spar. It's very clean and smooth. The NS disappears over light colors.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 48 Inch Gulp SR-T
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
I plan to paint the cores of the Bee I am building, but I will do the goop / spackle / goop routine to smooth things.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Put the paint down very lightly or it will eat foam. Let dry a day before covering. Flouro really pops on white foam!
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone