HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
I'm going river rafting this weekend up at the Kern which is right next to... WELDON!! Gonna pack a couple planes in next to my floaties and it'll be an action packed weekend! I'll try to get some footage for the thread.

-James
Kool! keep us updated. I learned all about the Kern while I was down there last month. All the guides hung out in the bar kitty corner to the Mcdonalds in Isabella. They got me all excited to bring a boat with me next time. Going to practice up on my rolls and boat when the winds aren't blowing. Drove to bakersfield in the dark so couldn't see much of the canyon but that crazy road lets you know there is some knarly river below.

Not sure where you are staying but there is only one hotel with proper Air Conditioning. It was inbetween weldon and Isabella. The rest of them have either Evaporative coolers or nothing at all.

Goodluck and Have fun!

-Spencer-
deputybuzz is offline Find More Posts by deputybuzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:26 PM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
I tore my achilles tendon on May 9, surgery on May 16. I am in a boot at 30 degree down angle, and not too mobile as in I have to use crutches.

So, in the last week, I managed to hobble out to the garage and start the re-build on my cnc foam cutter. It has been tough as I am limited, but I get the wife or kids to kick in and help.

I need to take a look at my JW and Moth. They've been sitting since last Thanksgiving and I need to get them ready.

Plus, once all the gear is up and running, I want to make a real low budget, fast build DS ship for just having a ton of fun with.

More to follow..
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:01 AM
Joined Apr 2007
583 Posts
Looks like I am going out of town Saturday with Ray to Grass mtn. so I won't be DSing at Poway. I still might get up there on Sunday. We will have to see how the weekend goes.

Chris
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
755 Posts
Chris,

I thought the Grass Mountain F3F race was on Sunday?
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
662 Posts
Yes the GM race is on Sunday. I think Ray got the days mixed up. He left me a VM the other day mentioning carpooling on Sat and I had to check the calendar to make sure I didn't have the days wrong. I've sent him a PM and left a voice mail as well. I'm definitely up for carpooling on Sunday.

ps. it's gonna be a HOT

Mark
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
583 Posts
Alright maybe Poway is on for Saturday after all. All though looking at the Wundermap data it looks like the wind has been pretty weak, but it doesn't bring up the Saber Springs station so I can't really tell.

We will have to see, how things transpire.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2007
583 Posts
Mark I think Hot is an understatement. At least we only play there and not live work and play out there.

Looks like the first weekend of summer just might be so hot it is trying to discourage our DSing for the rest of the season. Not going to happen. When there's a will there's a way. Might just be a shorter ds session or recoop in the car a/c. We'll figure it out.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:13 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Looks like I am going out of town Saturday with Ray to Grass mtn. so I won't be DSing at Poway. I still might get up there on Sunday. We will have to see how the weekend goes.

Chris
Hope you guys are leaving early, that's a *long* drive from SD. It's 75 miles from my house in West LA, and that excludes the 3 miles of dirt at the end. Temps at Grass should be 95 or so, as it was Wed when I was there... I strongly recommend bringing some shade and all the water you can carry (and sunscreen!). Humidity is super low, coupled with high elevation, coupled with wind = you get parched in the first 10 minutes.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,297 Posts
GM Sunday, HURL Sat.

Dom can you put up an EZUP at GM or will it just get blown away?

Who schedules these races anyway - should'nt WP be the summer races.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 48 Inch Gulp SR-T
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
755 Posts
HURL on Saturday! Much cooler at the beach. I only hope there is some wind. Definately a Weasel day.

Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
583 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Eagle on the temp at GM and the drive. I am kind along for the ride to support my buddy's since I don't have an F3F level plane. I am also there to talk them into leaving early and going over to Parker to DS :O) so we will see how it goes

Looks like my trip to GM is moved to Sunday. But HURL racing at the beach tomorrow sounds cooler. Might do both, HURL earlier and go up to Poway for a 3-5pm ds session. But then again I should really just go surfing all day for the first time this summer with this hot weather. We will see when I get up. Wish I was 18 again where I wouldn't doubt doing it all, but balance with fun goes alot farther.

Let me know if anyone is interested in dsing in the heat tomorrow out at Poway.

Here is a link to what the wind was like today at Poway. Looks pretty typical [except for being 97 degrees] 5-10mph, primarily west but moving north and south a bit. Get that hook on the bottom of your planes for bugeeing!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...r=1&showrain=1
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Get that hook on the bottom of your planes for bugeeing!
I've been wanting to put a hook on my Moth for that purpose. Any tips on doing that? I don't recall you having a hook on yours last time I saw you so I'm wondering how you installed it with that longeron in there.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:55 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

Dom can you put up an EZUP at GM or will it just get blown away?
Bring one, Ray. We had one on Wed and it was indispensible. The wind is significantly calmer at the flat-top of the slope, but you'll still need stakes. Note the weather station is on top and it usually under-reports wind speeds by about 25% - it was reading 19 with gusts to 32 wed...
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2007
583 Posts
Hey Gotsa, I just did a quick and dirty set up. I took an old moth servo arm, punched it through the bottom of the fuse [about 1" in front of the cg] at a steep angle. Actually the longeron was perfect since it gives you the vertical support. Actually, I forgot about the longeron being in there so when I hit it I needed to get out the pliers push it in as hard as could. It worked out perfectly.

There are alot of better ways to do it with cutting out the foam. putting in an epoxy plug, drilling it out, and installing your hook. or something like that. was the only other time I heard how to do it from Pismo. I didn't have time to try all that. but now that I have the bungee, I am sure I will figure out better ways, since all my will have hooks installed, since it is such a fun way to lfy when the wind in not perfect.

I'm heading to the Hurl, and will see if I head out to Poway from there.

Have a great day everyone.

Chris
Old Jun 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
Guys, with the hooks, there are a couple of ways that are really quick, where you can just tape the hook on.

1) Bent wire method. Zipper described this method to me over the phone and we've been using it for massively hard launches of our Reapers, Bats, Moths, Ozprey and also Bees etc.

Just get a bit of wire, (piano wire is best but harder to work with - but a length of bike spoke or control rod is fine) and bend it in half, and make a hook at the centre bend point. Then bend both sides around in a diamond, or something similar. It's also best if you can bend a couple of hooks or bumps in here and there too, because you want things for the tape to grip onto. Just use your creativity to bend to the shape you need, and cut off any excess. I tape it using strips of wide bi-di tape over the diamond/ arms and thinner strips criss crossed tightly in front of the hook.

Danger - when you're pulling back to stretch the bungee, keep your hand behind the hook, because if the hook rips off it could do huge damage to your hand. But if they're well taped they don't come off. We've made these up in a few minutes with pliers, on the slope. Sean pulls his Reaper back on his Hosemonster bungees so hard I'm worried it will tear the nose off the plane!

2) Flat plate and screw hook. Get a piece of a strong plastic ruler, and mount a hook in it. Apparently there are small hooks that come with some ARF small gliders etc and they're great. If not, any thin threaded rod that has nuts to fit it will be good. I've used bike spokes, and also thin control rod etc. Just drill a hole in the ruler, and mount the hook. The great thing with this is it's so easy to tape it on really firmly. But for planes with narrow fuses you'll need a narrower strip of ruler, or other material. Dead simple and easy to do.

See if I can get some pics
Andrew
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB