HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Menifee, ca
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
Deep Creek /Bundy Canyon

Got some flying in on Saturday,Took off for Hesperia (Deep Creek) Got up there around 10:00 Wind was straight out of the South 15-20 Mph Jimmy flew his 60'' Mirada Wing 55oz recovered with (10 m ) That wing is Fast!!! for a 60''. Threw out the planks ( Gulps 60'') had a blast lots of circuits,The wind started to shift out of the West around 1:00 Wind pick up to 30 Mph, back side was ugly!!!! On the way back home we stoped at Bundy Canyon(New Spot) Wind was 15-20 South/West- Back side ( clean and calm!! ) Jimmy took some pictures of my Gulp diving in (Lots of lift ) On the front side, Back side was so nice, you could go so deep.Got a picture of Jimmy with the Mirada straped to his back .
NICK WORTHEN is offline Find More Posts by NICK WORTHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:35 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,852 Posts
is there a link to kit/instructions for that mirada? (sp?)

never seen /heard of one before.. looks cool.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:49 AM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
156 Posts
wing warrior

That is the Marauder that wing warrior made. They stopped making it years ago for some reason. I used to have one just like it. I think Zagi may still make a 60"
GreggB is offline Find More Posts by GreggB
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:04 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,277 Posts
Actually a buddy of mine kits an awesome 60" wing, call Dan at XG gliders (909) 648-4982
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:48 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
me gettin' in the groove

We have a nice S wind spot here in San Clemente that also has a decent backside. Here's a vid of me DSin' a M60 and Carlos flying his Monarch at the end...
Slope Soaring at the Water Tower. (4 min 39 sec)
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Nice San Clemente DS Vid.

I drive through San Clemente every week and am always tempted to bring a plane and stop to fly. I flew one spot that was pretty weak on the day I was there. Can you provide coordinates and/or directions to the water tower spot? Is this a long walk up from the street or can you drive to the top without a 4x4?

This is a SW facing front-side?

Jim
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
The water tower is about 3/4 of a mile N of Salvador, right off Camino de Estrella. It's about 400ft. high and is shaped almost like a bowl where the left end starts to curve to the SW, so ideal wind is S-SSW. It is about 3-3 1/2 times wider than salvador, and there is a long dirt strip about 10ft. wide that runs the entire length, so you might be able to fly big planes there that like to run. There is also a backside to it, so you can DS there when the wind is nice. Thermals are massive here, especially down towards the left side the plane just goes up and up. The only bad thing about the site is bushwacking; there are these gnarley-looking plants with tiny spike-balls at the ends, they go through jeans and they hurt. All you have to do is park in the small cul-de-sac there and you'll see a street leading up to a small gate. Just hop the gate, and walk up and it's right there. The walk is about 50-65ft. up a small incline so really not bad at all. I've posted the kmz file so you can get directions up to it.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,771 Posts
I hate those spike ball plants. We had none out here for decades, then they were introduced by fire road clearing equipment a few years back and have taken over every hill.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:13 AM
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Water Tower

Thanks for the directions and conditions information. I will add the coordinates to my wind direction app and hope to drop in when it looks good on my drives home to S.D. from L.A. Usually, Thursday or Friday afternoons. Hope to see you there.

Jim
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:58 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
BUMP! geez what happened to everybody? not much DS'n due to no wind...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
I look up at that hill everytime I make the drive between S.D. and L.A. and wonder what the conditions are like. It's been sucking in S.D. lately, so I haven't been carrying a plane with me. Tell me differently and I will start coming prepared.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:15 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
This weekend should be nice, we went up today and yesterday today was better 10mph S no speed records were set but it was fun watching john get that gulp sr up to speed. Windfinder says 14mph WSW on Sunday which is perfect...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:28 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
good wind for the water tower tomorrow 20mph+
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:48 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Time to revive this dead ol' thread. Me and the ADSJ's of San Diego headed up to Bill's Hill this past weekend... I almost forgot how much fun it is up there, especially with three or four planes in the circuit. I attached the GoPro to my trusty ol' NYX F3F and had a go at getting some footage of this awesome little hill.

Bill's Hill HD (3 min 5 sec)

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:54 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,103 Posts
Great looking spot, nice lz and smooth, low flying.......Very nice!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza