HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 02:23 AM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Andrew,

All of those planes you are looking at are power slope scale (PSS) gliders.

These planes are not known for their DS ability because they tend to enjoy big carving turns in the open sky rather than the high speed bank and yank style turns that dynamic soaring demands. A DS plane must be able to maintain energy in the turns, and PSS foam planes like these are not known for this either.

The JW60 is a fantastic plane in the groove and is very well known for its DS prowess. It has been flown to over 200 mph by some people. Personally I would stick with this airframe until you master dynamic soaring and are not crashing at all. Then I would move up to a composite glider.

In general if you want more stability, you have to go heavier, bigger, or both. You are fighting turbulence, and the more inertia the airplane has the better it will be at fighting the forces it is subjected to by turbulence.

Send us some photos of your hill! We always enjoy seeing what kind of terrain people are DSing on, and it might help us suggest some planes for you as well.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:21 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
A mate of mine has great results using his Gulp G-V-60 for DS
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:29 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
thanks Alex,

for the knowledge about size and weight..

i was already told about the jw60. seems odd that this is the only foam glider that rocks the skies. i just want a plane style glider because when i learned to do this in Utah a friend named Ted let me ds his mom or man on man racer. it was only a 60" plane and i had a ball with it.

the thing is it was not near as fast. but a lot More fly friendly. it would stay straighter in the turbulence then what i have found with the jw.

now this could all be from the different conditions and i might be getting better at flying in the turbulence or not but this is why i want one. to find out. i was told you can never have to many planes. lol.

thanks again Alex and as soon as i get back down to the slope i will shoot some pics.

skaffen thanks for the link i will be getting one of these for sure. what an awesome looking plane.. don't like the v tail much but hey it sure looks vast.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:13 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
885 Posts
A big factor in this equation is plane survivability. Pounding into terra firma at over 100 mph will limit your plane choices. Other conventional designs will fly better but not nearly as survivable.
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:05 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
It is said that you cannot kill a JW. The fastest plank speeds are with JW's. It is the ideal plane to learn DS with. JW's are flown by all the top pilots. It is a must-have plane for any aspiring DS'er. Getting a JW doesn't mean you can't own other planks too.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg4rc View Post
A big factor in this equation is plane survivability. Pounding into terra firma at over 100 mph will limit your plane choices. Other conventional designs will fly better but not nearly as survivable.
True that. I doubt a G-V-60 would survive a high speed ground reintroduction manoeuvre the way a JW can
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Last edited by skaffen; Jul 04, 2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: My hovercraft is full of eels
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:38 AM
Semper Fidelis
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Jul 2005
1,446 Posts
ADSJs out today

Four of us headed up to the slab today. Wind was relatively light, 10-15mph tops, but that didn't stop us. The ds action was very nice at times. We all went home with minor repairs to at least one plane but nothing was destroyed.

More importantly, we left having a good time, and a lot of giggles. Very fun.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
885 Posts
John, Thanks for the pics! It was a great day at the SLAB as we were able to do some descent DS laps right in our own backyard. On a good windy day this place is going to be great. Both the J dubs were grooving well which tells me, someone needs to buy a Pocket radar.

Gary
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Neato! Where's "the Slab"?

Good to know the DS juice is flowing!

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:33 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,280 Posts
going to the slab today. jon,justin,gary,dan and i. .
.sth fontucket eof15
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:54 PM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,280 Posts
Getting hooked

I went to Vincent for the 1st time(8th time DS'n period), with Jimmi and his buddies Renee, John, Tim and Mike. It was a constant 30 gusting to 35 and just under 90 degrees. Got there at 1ish and it was already 30 mph.
Got me a new PB with the MiniBlade at 151 mph!..heres some video and pics of the day...
DS Vincent...ridge runner (0 min 33 sec)

DS Vincent, Ca..Ridge Runner (0 min 19 sec)

DS Vincent, CA....JW (0 min 28 sec)

DS Vincent, CA......Silhouette (0 min 55 sec)

DS Vincent, CA....Vector II (0 min 20 sec)

DS Vincent, CA....Destiny (0 min 47 sec)

Old Aug 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,699 Posts
Nice vid and pictures and congrats on the PB

I went to Parker (last time was June 2009) and no one was there. Got there about 2 pm the wind was peak at 22 low at 12 per and bumpy in the back. Standing on the backside of the road I could feel the wind at my ankles, chest and back. Flew my Rebel got thrown around stopped and waited for better conditions and flew again.

Threw out my 60 inch Leg P-39 till the wind got bumpy. Waited a bit threw it out again then it fluttered. Figured the wind was building.

Threw out the JW60 close to 4:30 by then and I was suprised it flew. Peak measured was 23 and lows 15. I had to let it run down hill to pick up speed and all was good. DS'ed that POS with nice laps, found out it was smoother DSing CCW so I flew CW till it got bumpy then switched to CCW and so forth till the wind dropped. Worked out good to even out the Tan. When I landed the peaks were 18 mph, lows to 13 mph.

After a rest waiting for the glass off I threw out the Rebel and it was still bumpy so kept doing the CW/CCW till about 6 pm. Waited a bit No glass off. The backside was still bumpy and had to walk a bit to recover the rebel so I called it quits.

No radar. no glass off,.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:07 AM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,280 Posts
Went back Sunday to Vincent

heres the details..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=100
Last edited by slopepilot; Aug 09, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:06 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Dave when you gonna post those U tube vids from Thursday the 12 th at Vincent. These are what Amateur Dynamic Soaring Junkies are all about!! A good bunch of guys out having a great time DSing at a local hill!! Sodas Drinks, a little smack talk, and a great time. Jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,280 Posts
Vincent 8-12-2010...25-30

vincent Jon and the JW (0 min 44 sec)

vincent Jon and the Opus MC3 (1 min 17 sec)

vincent Jon almost crashes the OPus (1 min 18 sec)

vincent Jimmi and the JW (0 min 58 sec)

vincent Jon and the JW (0 min 53 sec)

vincent Jimmi and the JW (0 min 23 sec)