HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Terry (The End) where have you and Butch been flying? He is the one that got me thinking of trying dsing after telling me all about you guys doing it at the Bump and Poway.

We need to get a new Hooters DS ship put together and do another signing!

Chirs
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:20 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Thanks very much Chris, James, etc. Yeah you get so hooked, you're frustrated all day racking your brain thinking of possible DS spots. We have great coastal breeze here at times but there's no decent spot to DS around here. Sometimes at our most regularly beachy/ cliff place we try to DS diving behind a few trees into a park and we call it DS, but really it's "trying to fly thru the turbulence without doing a massive cartwheel into the park bench".

Depending on wind direction there are some options about an hour's drive in different directions, but there's no spot that works in our predominant (SE) winds. GRrr. I find myself looking at new highrise buildings going up on the beachfront, thinking, "now if I could get myself up on that roof ..."! We could end up like the BASE jumpers!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey AvB, same thing here on the San Diego coast. We have to drive about an hour also to get our ds fix as well. Now that summer time is kicking in it is hot as hell at all the inland sights. But at least its a dry heat :O)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Find a spot you can park near the lip, and rent a 40 foot RV.

Otherwise, look for frontside DS possibilities. Basically steep frontside
with sharp lip leading into a road cut or similar.
Video of some of my all time favorite flying
http://www.thud.us/videos/rc/zion-fi...-fun4-700k.wmv
We've done it in much tighter road cuts than that.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:18 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,910 Posts
AvB

You need to start looking into getting a bungee. I bought a 50' length of the heavy duty stuff from Southern Sailplanes. I cut it into three equal 17' (5m) lengths, put eyelets into the ends, and heavy duty keyrings. This makes the perfect slingshot bungee for foamies up to 60" (heavy JW). Then cut up a wire coathanger and bend it into a zig-zag with a hook on the end and tape it on a couple of inches back from the nose of the plane. Connect the fixed end to a fencepost/peg/car/statue/etc. On a flatland launch the bungee stretches to about 20-30m and can put any DS plane <2m up to 30-50m into the air. This provides an excellent point from which to start the initial dive into that non-existant-fron-side DS spot.

At amoung other places, I use my sling-shot to launch over a small quarry for some suprisingly effective flat-land DS that would be otherwise inaccessible. I also use it at a well-known DAM (The Rock Garden) on light days, which would otherwise not have enough wind for even front-side, but just enough for endless lazy DS. Need to get out over those pesky trees? - a good sling-shot opens up an otherwise unusuable site.

I have no shame launching with a Bungee at well known sloping events (Camperdown) when everyone else is charging their LiPos (no wind), and it gives beginner pilots a good starting altitude for non-buddy equipped radios on light conditions.

I wouldn't be even mentioning this technique in the big-dogs threads, but for other hack-DSer like me, it's a great little tool.

Cheers

Kahn
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:03 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Ian your videos are so good, mate, truly excellent. They make me smile and feel uplifted!! One of our local guys (Mark) posted a link to your Fazer DS acro comp video on our local Windsock forum here, and everyone's loving it. And ... wait for it ... Mark's now located a used Fazer for a great price so I think there will soon be 2 of us with Fazers!

We gotta get into some of that Frontside DS!! That looks like excellent fun. Just gotta find the spot. Those crashes into the guardrail made me feel better about how I treat my planes!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:28 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Creating one Fazer DS junkie after another.
I've heard there damn near impossible to get new any more (been
replaced by bigger and better).
One thing about the Fazer though. I think it's a good idea to wrap a 2-3
inch wide strip of light glass around each half of horizontal stab so that it
reinforces the area right at the end of the stab joiner rod. My Fazer stabs
both broke there, on two hard landings (just pancaked down hard), and most of
my DSing has been after repairing them so they're stronger than new.
I just used glass strip cut on the bias, wrapped all the way around once
and trimmed at the trailing edge, stuck down with a misting of Super 77
and finished with CA.
My new Crossfire died DSing recently ;(, and I'm pretty sure the initial failure
was at the same place on the full flying stab (which then caused it to
immediately pitch forward hard, and the wing folded downwards).

BTW, higher quality version of the Fazer Freestyle at Jones video
here http://www.thud.us/videos/rc/jones-fazer-freestyle.wmv
(YouTube version leaves something to be desired. I should
re-upload it and see if the new "high quality" mode can keep up
with the motion)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 18, 2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Ian and Kahn, you guys are inspirational. I love it. 40'RV dsing all summer long at the beach cliffs ). That frontside road dsing video is so great. 5 wings at the same time. So cool. I will never drive a mountain road again the same way. And the Fazer freestyle ds videos OMG! Great great stuff.

Keep the faith,
Chris
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:38 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
We could have a more dangerous sport like kite boarding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b1NfWHVzQU
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:48 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
It's a Sprite commercial (whole thing)
Kite Board + High Wind x Airplane = Good Video (0 min 42 sec)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:51 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
interesting
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:00 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been trying all night to get my video from Poway off the tape from my dead camera. Ray graciously let me borrow his camera but I can't seem to get his capture device to work. So I just wanted you to know I am working on it.

I did get to at least watch the video and the weasel footage is classic. Also great footage of Robert and his Skua, Mark and his M60, and James and his Halfpipe.

I don't know if I am going to make it this Saturday to Poway. May have an opportunity to get out of town and fly. But I'm sure I will be heading up there Sunday. We'll see as the weekend gets near.

Chris
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:18 AM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
134 Posts
Are they all Bee's in the vid at Zion?
vanders is offline Find More Posts by vanders
Last edited by vanders; Jun 19, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:20 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
I'm going river rafting this weekend up at the Kern which is right next to... WELDON!! Gonna pack a couple planes in next to my floaties and it'll be an action packed weekend! I'll try to get some footage for the thread.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
James sounds like an awesome time! Weldon baby! All you have to do is hit 360mph and get on the top of the big dogs list, but then we would have to kick you out of this group ( Which I would not allow anyway since you are to valuable to us )

Have a great time and hope you can make it up there. Looking forward to the footage if your able to get it.

Chris