SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:43 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,703 Posts
Chris where is this weather site. It says there were gust over 30 mph today.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:56 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
156 Posts
raws weather station

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwm...=sgx&sort=name
GreggB is offline Find More Posts by GreggB
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Ray, it looks to be just on the backside of the lakes down by 76. Just about where the old site was before the fire took it out. When you bring up the site look at the small wundermap on the right, and the location is marked. click the satilite view and you can zoom in, and that is where it is at.

The old site was a great reading to what was happening up at Bill's before. Yesterday looked like it might have been good from 2 to 4. I think Mercedes James and I are going up there this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be to south like it has been lately.

Chris
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Hey Ray, it looks to be just on the backside of the lakes down by 76. Just about where the old site was before the fire took it out. When you bring up the site look at the small wundermap on the right, and the location is marked. click the satilite view and you can zoom in, and that is where it is at.

The old site was a great reading to what was happening up at Bill's before. Yesterday looked like it might have been good from 2 to 4. I think Mercedes James and I are going up there this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be to south like it has been lately.

Chris

Count Subaru James in too!

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot

Chris

I spoke with MB James yesterday at the beach after surfing (or should I say getting rinsed) about going to Bill or Nate's Grade. I can't believe the wind reading with Gusts over 30 mph. Greg's link also have Gusts over 23 so it they must corroborate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Ray I thought that was your jeep infront of the powerplant when I drove by at lunch. Good for you getting out in the water. Hope to see you at bills today. Mercedes James is going up as well.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:37 PM
temecula
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
hey chris, how was bills today?
frankieromeo is offline Find More Posts by frankieromeo
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:26 AM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
I sure hope you guys found wind at Bill's because it was sucking axx at Dave's. Zip, nada, nothing. It's been a good week for electric's and DLGs (wish I had one).

Jim
(guess that makes me BMW James, technically)
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:55 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,703 Posts
Jim and Frankie I got to Bill Hill bright and early a bout 3 pm. There was hardly any wind from the beach till the 76. I could see a few windmills blowing and a few planes in the air as I turned on to Couser Canyon. Just as I crested the hill onto the ridge, M-B James was putting down his Opus. The James Brothers were there, Martin and Quadshot. They had just finished flying some glass just cracking 100.

I threw out my Rebel and it was marginal. But we had a real good Foamy DS Combat session, Wr Mizzards WEVO was killing everyone. I got the old CR Blazer up to 51 mph and it looked like it was going in slo mo hardly getting any lift. Got off the hill about 6 pm after floating around the sky trying to catch a thermal with the old Blazer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:40 AM
BEX
South Africa
Joined Sep 2007
607 Posts
Hi guys , i still lurk around here havent tried DS recently because of hectic season at work , but ive built a nd tested a new glider that i want to try a bit of DS with.

the wingloading is still much too low for DS at the moment , it floats very nice in a light breeze on the front side . Ill beef up the foam fuse to add weight and change to heavier sevos inside the wing after I finish testing it .
Or i might just make a second wing for it .
BEX is offline Find More Posts by BEX
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,703 Posts
Bex

Good to hear you're still at it. We're spoiled here in San Diego with all the maunfacturers available to buy kits/planes.

One thing you can do once you get the plane sorted out if to tape lead on to ballast it up when the wind picks up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Bex great to hear your still around. That thing will probably ds much better that the floater you started off with. Nice planky lines. Keep us informed.

Chris
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:09 AM
BEX
South Africa
Joined Sep 2007
607 Posts
Will do , I've found 2 new slopes with possibly better ridges for DS , but they are more than one hour climb to get up there, and it being summer and reaching 110 most days ill have to plan carefully.
BEX is offline Find More Posts by BEX
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:27 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,703 Posts
Bill Hill claims another

I lost my beloved CR Blazer at Bill Hill this afternoon. The wind was very light and made a few of the slow slow laps. I brought it in and actually caught it. Made a crow adjustment and threw out again. This time no lift at all. A sled ride to the base thinking I'll catch a thermal but no joy.

I drove down to the dirt road and searched till the moon rose. After giving up I rechecked the view from the top and I think I was too low and to the left so I've got to try again tomorrow after work. I blew it cause I brought my transmitter to listen for the servos but after 2/3rds of my search I had not turned on the TXer. Doh^2 how stupid.

This serves me right. Next time if this happens again I'm landing by the Big tree at the base something big and easy to spot.

That Blazer was becoming my favorite plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2009, 11:17 AM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Ray, I'd join you but I can't today. I've got some searching to do myself. We should make a group buy of those lost model alarms. What do you think?

Good luck in your search.

Jim
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike