HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Eagle Mountain looks awesome. I am guessing somewhere in Colorado? Too much grass and not enough rocks for California.

Can't wait to fly a big ds spot like that.
eagle mnt is in utah. a few miles SW of the point of the mnt.

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Predator, you've got me drowling all over my paperwork here at work. Have you actually flown that spot? Wow!

There is no way I could hike up to 13k to DS a spot like that. I've always dreamed of taking the gondola up to the top of Mammoth ski resort and fly, and now that I am a dser I really want to do it. Everytime I go up there snowboarding the wind is howling. Summer time they open the gondola for mtn bikers and hikers. Putting it on my Bucket List. Anyone know anyone who has done this?

On the grass comment in CO. Rumor here is that your LZ's are even rockier then ours here in CA. Looks like up there above the tree line and the rock line you have the glasier line, which would make a great LZ (if you don't fall over the edge)!
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:41 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Anyone try to do this? Bungee and ds a spot that does not have a frontside lift zone (i.e. a slope site when the wind is going the other way). I bet Wr. Mizzard probably has video all ready of him doing just that :O)

Chris
Longer posts than Mr. Predetor!

Not YET!

I was out at Blossom yesterday and had some fun flying the Salto. The wind wasn't quite strong enough to get some good laps in... hard to get it up to altitude for a good drop in (shoulda' had the bungee. I ended up nosing the Salto in pretty good... back to the bench for another nose job, fortunately the wing repair I just finished held up to the abuse (probably 'cause the nose absorbed most of the punch). I think the Salto might end up hanging on the wall after this repair though... it just ain't what it ought to be.

-James
Looking for another go-fast crunchie
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:16 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
quad,

Do the Hobie brothers still fly Poway?

rcgroupie
rcgroupie is offline Find More Posts by rcgroupie
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Wr Mizzard, sorry hear about your Salto. Glad it is fixable and taking a break. Love composites, and hate the crunching.

What do you think about using a bungee to ds somewhere without a frontside? It could open up a whole world of ds sites that would not be looked at for that. There is no doubt a bungee gets the planes up high enough to dive in with plenty of speed. Have to find a good place to try this. Nice construction pad maybe.

Maybe up at Double peak. Mark and I tried dsing the foam bowl during the last santa ana, The problem was we could not get enough lift on the frontside overlooking San Marcos to dive into the bowl. I finally just chucked my JW as hard and high as I could into the front wind and ran as fast as I could across the street while seting up my dive in, and actually got a couple good laps. The bungee would have been perfect and we could have dsed the crap out of it. But that still had a frontside effect coming over the top and creating a layer.

Anyway, now that I am bungee certified I am going to have to keep my eyes open for possibilities.

Chris
Looking for a non go crunch fasty )
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
RCGroupie, Have not seen the Hobie guys at Poway. Actually, never ran into then. I've only been flying there for less than a year, and only been up there consistently dsing since I started dsing a few months ago. I have been going up there just about every weekend to practice my dsing, and there has hardly been anyone there. It has been great for DS learning, but now I am really happy having the San Diego chapter of DS Junkies there to ds with.

Chris
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey anyone in San Diego (preferably north county) have a camcorder that uses mini DV tapes and has a firewire connection (USB might work). My camcorder broke and won't play back the 25 minutes of footage I have from Saturday. I know there is great video on there. I just need to conect it to my laptop and get it off of the tape.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Hey Wr Mizzard, sorry hear about your Salto. Glad it is fixable and taking a break. Love composites, and hate the crunching.

What do you think about using a bungee to ds somewhere without a frontside? It could open up a whole world of ds sites that would not be looked at for that. There is no doubt a bungee gets the planes up high enough to dive in with plenty of speed. Have to find a good place to try this. Nice construction pad maybe.

Maybe up at Double peak. Mark and I tried dsing the foam bowl during the last santa ana, The problem was we could not get enough lift on the frontside overlooking San Marcos to dive into the bowl. I finally just chucked my JW as hard and high as I could into the front wind and ran as fast as I could across the street while seting up my dive in, and actually got a couple good laps. The bungee would have been perfect and we could have dsed the crap out of it. But that still had a frontside effect coming over the top and creating a layer.

Anyway, now that I am bungee certified I am going to have to keep my eyes open for possibilities.

Chris
Looking for a non go crunch fasty )
No worries about the Salto... fixing them crunchies is like fixing surfboards (something I have plenty of experience doing, too).
When you say the "foam bowl" up at Double Peak, are you talking about the bowl above the park to-be where the road is gated off with the power boxes next to the sidewalk right in the middle of the saddle? That's where I tried DS'ng, but with a SW wind coming up the bowl... it was way to shallow without any defined boundry. I could imagine it would work well on a Santa Ana+bungee... count me in! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the non-slope DS sites too (not many treelines that I know of around here).

-James
crunching birds and boards left and right
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Yeah James that is exactly where I am talking about by the power boxes. I was wondering about the other side with a SW, since summer time last year is when Mark and I spent alot of time up there where the wind had a lot of south in it. It's such a great setup but foam does not seem to fly well up there. We found only thermally ships were the funnest. Throw off at where you park get height at the first peak go over to peak 2 and get higher venture off to thermal the field out front or head across the the big hill to your left and climb to way up top of that hill (Marks Mtn), back to the foam bowl and all voer the place from there. It was alot of fun with the wind being so light at the coast last summer.

But we continually struggled with our foam and composite ships. The only place I got a little consistency with my foam ships was up at the foam bowl which is how it got its name. But still nothing real epic. It was a shame because we would get some really good wind where foam should fly but it just didn't have the bite to stay up.

I think you have had the same experience.

Lets keep our eyes open
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:43 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
Chris I have a minidv camcorder. I'll be home early from work Tuesday so give me a call.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,698 Posts
I should chip into this amateur DS thread ... but I'm a bit shy as I think you guys are too good at DS for a member like me! Perhaps I should start a "total klutz DS thread"??

But I'm totally hooked too, and although I'd like to get some bigger numbers up when the day and the wind and the site and my availability are all synchronized ... I really just love the DS effect. Every day I do it, I am in awe of it, and still in some disbelief that it actually works (and so well!)

Sometimes it's great just to get the DS kick, even if you can't make the whole circle. I fly my little light Minij down at the beach, where it's a very small slope with a few round-ish trees down near the bottom. I love to "fly the eye of the needle", diving through a narrow gap between the lower and upper row of trees, below the spread of their upper branches, where the air's dead. The whole gap is only as big as a bus, height and length-wise and going under the branches at one end makes it exciting. Sometimes if you get it really low at the bottom almost touching the grass, you can get a kick of extra speed as you pull out, and some extra height. Then I just float around and do it again. It's great when it's so light that you can barely stay up on the front, but you can get the plane whooshing out of there. as you exit. I love that.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
I should chip into this amateur DS thread ... but I'm a bit shy as I think you guys are too good at DS for a member like me! Perhaps I should start a "total klutz DS thread"??

But I'm totally hooked too, and although I'd like to get some bigger numbers up when the day and the wind and the site and my availability are all synchronized ... I really just love the DS effect. Every day I do it, I am in awe of it, and still in some disbelief that it actually works (and so well!)

Sometimes it's great just to get the DS kick, even if you can't make the whole circle. I fly my little light Minij down at the beach, where it's a very small slope with a few round-ish trees down near the bottom. I love to "fly the eye of the needle", diving through a narrow gap between the lower and upper row of trees, below the spread of their upper branches, where the air's dead. The whole gap is only as big as a bus, height and length-wise and going under the branches at one end makes it exciting. Sometimes if you get it really low at the bottom almost touching the grass, you can get a kick of extra speed as you pull out, and some extra height. Then I just float around and do it again. It's great when it's so light that you can barely stay up on the front, but you can get the plane whooshing out of there. as you exit. I love that.
I know the feeling AvB. Here we have a coastal site that not many people fly because of the R-rated parking lot/people factor but there's good lift and a few palm trees that I like to "thread the needle" on. Passing behind the one tree you can see the plane bobble up and down in the swirling/dead air right behind the tree. I've swung around the tree a few times... and like you say, you can almost feel the plane gaining energy, enough to make it back around the tree anyways. DS'ng is cool 'cause of the new challenge it provides to those of us who are tired of figure eights.

-James
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:38 AM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
Butch and I hiked up to the Foam Bowl a while back, and I think bungee start is what you need. Once you get a good dive in, I think it would be a ton of fun.

With the housing situation, I don't think they will build up there for a while..
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey AvB, you Ds Junkie, welcome to the theread. You are exactly the type of dser I started this thread for! I've only been dsing for a couple months, and it is all about just the love of doing it, and not how good or fast you do it (there are plenty of threads for that. Please don't be shy and would love to hear your input. Infact I think you are our first International Amatuer DS Junkie!

Love the tree DS'ing thing. That sound so cool and crazy. Please show us some pictures of what you are talking about.

I think we are just scratching the surface of what we can do. I was cracking myself up a couple days ago. My favorate place to fly is at the beach but there just doesn't seem to be any real ds spots. Then I just realized there are all these houses on the bluff, so why can't you ds behind the house! So I crused down the forntage road looking for good houses and flying areas to maybe do this. And I ran into this perfect A framed chapel at the Army Navy Acadamy that would ds insane. Just no open place to launch and recover. Just opens up the mind to possibilities though.

Sorry, I got excited there and went off on a tangent. Anyway welcome to the group AVB.

Chris