HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:26 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Hey Ray it is more like I need a better camera. You know if you watch the video closer Paul only laps you once. Almost a second time but that is when he taps the edge and you regain your lead. Although he was talking on the phone the whole time :O)
Were you there Sunday when the ol'e JW and Pauls Blizzard mid aired? If you can't pass'em, hit 'em. My JW was heading out towards Marks lost Nemesis but luckily for me it stopped auto DSing near the top of the ridge.

That blizzard was cooking.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,139 Posts
DS Torrey

Junkies,
What's the deal to DS at Torrey?

DC
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
Menifee, ca
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
Bills Hill Gate To Be Installed At Dirt Road Entrance

Went up to Bills Hill today at 2:30 and as I turned onto the dirt road I noticed two wooden survey markers on each side of the dirt road.When I got to the area were we park are cars, Ray had all ready been there for about an hour and he ran into some guy who drove down the hill that worked for the water district and told him that the owner of the land was going to install a (Gate )at the dirt entrance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That 's not good !!

Today there was definitely lift wind blowing out of the West.Dave showed up at 4:30 We all got some real nice circuits in!!!! Ray,Dave,Myself

Bills Hill Is (Definitely ) starting To Look Real Good!!!! the month of March.

Nick.

The Rattlesnakes Are Starting To Show Up ( Look Out ) Dave seen one crossing the dirt road About 4(foot) long.
NICK WORTHEN is offline Find More Posts by NICK WORTHEN
Last edited by NICK WORTHEN; Mar 13, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,139 Posts
Is the gate up at Bill's Hill yet?
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:09 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
671 Posts
Bh

No gate, just the surveying stakes. With any luck it'll be a while. Strong winds up there today, kinda bumpy with multiple direction changes but it keeps you on your toes
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:27 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
146 Posts
BH record !!!!!

New PB's and hill record:
Chris(quadshot) 96 Ruby 109 Kobra
James(wr mizzard) 114 Blast
Gregg(Greggb)102 gulp dsII 122 opus
GreggB is online now Find More Posts by GreggB
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Well an epic day at Bills Hill today. Before today the top hill speed was 111mph set months ago by Mark and Greg. No foam plane has broken the 100mph mark. And only 3-4 people have ever flown over 100mph on the hill (BH Century Club).

Today with 15-25 mph winds:

I flew 109mph (getting into the BH Century club) with my Kobra
James flew 114mph (getting into the BH Century Club and beating the hill record) with his Blast
Greg flew his foam Gulp DS 60 102mph being the first to go over 100mph with a foam plane
And the top speed of the day was Greg at 122mph with his Opus!

Greg your the man!

The only thing missing was Mark to give a him a run for his money. But he has a brand new Opus that he may have madened today at Torrey, So I can't wait to see him and Greg push 122 even higher.

To top it off not a broken or lost plane all day, not due to perfect conditions either. The wind was shifting south quite a bit causing some bumpy moments. But when it was good, it was real good.

Now I know to many these speeds aren't huge, and we have gone faster at the world class slopes. But to push the limits at your our own local ds spot that we fly every weekend it was really cool. And were just amateur DS junkies anyway, and today was what being an ADSJ is all about.

The only thing I regret is that my videos did not come out to well and only have this one of James and his Blast. But I think James took better videos then me anyway, so I am sure there are some good videos to follow.

james dsing his blast at bills hill (0 min 22 sec)
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:04 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Record day at Bill's Hill-VIDEO

Bill's Hill Record Day (4 min 15 sec)

What an epic weekend... Poway Combat all day Saturday, followed by some 100mph Bill's Hill action all day Sunday!!

With the rain in the morning followed by clear blue skies in the afternoon and a clearing wind, it made for a great day out at Bill's Hill.

It felt great to finally get the Blast going over 100... consecutively Gregg's 2X glass Opus was rippping through the shear layer in some of the cleanest air of the day and Chris' Kobra sounded like a 4 stroke when it hit around 105. Tighten up those linkages and break 110 bro! Even my buddy Tony registered his first speed at 53 with his Predator Bee!

We were digging deeper on the backside more than I can remember us ever doing... and this is the key to the speed. When Gregg was flying his Opus I could tell when he was diving deep 'cause there was a distinct "whump...whump" when he dove in and back out of the layer, opposed to earlier in his circuits when it was more of a "whu..uuummmmmm...p" as he chopped across the layer all the way through his bottom turn.

Great work guys... looking forward to more days like this one.

-James
stepping it up 2mph
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:07 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Congratualtions guys, new records and new PB's. Mark said he maidened his Opus at Torrey Sunday. I flew Dave's in the afternoon. The wind shifted north late inthe afternoon at the beach. How was the glass off?

Sat Chris' Kobra wing was bending quite a bit plus the aileron was fluttering. It would have been great to see and hear it in more wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Just got a call from MB James. He went to Bill's to fly but was told he could'nt. There are bulldozers and water trucks up there and James said the area we fly in has been razed, raped and mutilated.

But on the plus side the road DSing might be better if we can get access.

We have to find the owners.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:52 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Maybe they are just clearing more parking area for us? Got to have a positve thought in the potential loss of such a rare dsing spot.

I wonder what they are up to. Definetly more than a gate to keep people out. Might be connected to the water pipe or the dump they are planning for behind the hill. We will have to see.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:38 AM
Del Mar California
Joined Mar 2007
204 Posts
Here are some pics guys of today at Bill's, man I will be really sad if we loose that place.. but I believe if they do put the gate up we can get acccess if we talk with the right people!!
jduartep is offline Find More Posts by jduartep
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
James thanks for the pics and update. It looks like it is the water authority doing all this other than the owner maybe. I am with you on what a big loss it will be, but maybe when they are done with their project the owner will be cool and give us a key.

We will have to see. It is such a shame when we were hitting our biggest speeds ever last weekend. :O(
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:39 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Well Bills Hill isn't closed down yet. Actually, it looks like James just had bad luck last week and went up there when the water dept did their annual grading of the road. No gate yet!

I can't beleive that today was much better than last sunday. Wind was probably in the 15-20mph range and even though it had a little south in it we had huge consistent front side lift all day. Nick and I were up there first flying all the planes we brought. Then Greg joined us and put to shame the hill record of 122 he posted last weekend with his Opus. When he wound up destiny on his first flight he went 124mph. Then it was Opus time. His dive in speed was 109 and each lap went faster and faster, until he posted the new hill record of 133mph! Just amazing when before last weekend the top speed was 111. He was doing that effortlessly all day.

It was also cool to see Nick improve his speeds with his little moth. At the beginning of the day he could barely get 60mph. Greg and I worked with him to turn his rates down just right, I showed him that the plane could do 85, and before you know it Nick was doing 70mph laps with his top speed being 77mph. Great job bro.

James/Mr Wizzard joined us when things started to glass off and we just had a blast flying high speed foam furballs in the 60mph range. Greg was on fire with his ds acros with his DS Gulp. He was doing huge deep backside loops as big and deep as any composite ship. And to top it off he was doing 80mph inverted circuits. James and I kept chasing each other with our wings doing some ds combat, but it is alot harder hitting someone while dsing in such great glass off conditions. So many more directions to go with such speed. It was really cool.

Anyway, great epic day at Bills Hill. It did shut down at 5:00 with the winds shifting a couple degrees more south, But 5 hours of epic dsing conditions with great friend was plenty for me. Sorry we did not have our video cameras with us to share with everyone. It looks like spring is better than summer at BH, lets pray that something keeps the gate from going up.

Hope others had a great weekend dsing around the globe. Post your stories so we can all enjoy.

Chris