HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:21 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
AvB-
I had a similar issue when I started trying inverted DS stuff. Getting yourself to "pull" on the stick to dive/get low was a TOUGH reflex for me to cultivate too. For a long while I just could not do it at all so, I used this crutch to get me low anyway. Just crank up the bank angle and let it side slip lower in a knife edge into the nice part of the groove, then just push out as is normal across the bottom inverted as you find yourself in the sweet spot.
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2009, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
AVB I'm not to good with my inverted ds yet. It is definetly lack of practice. Also since I don't do much front side flying anymore I lost some of my inverted skills. One thing that helps me is to first do some frontside inverted flying to get my brain back in gear before doing it on the backside.

Last weekend was fun. I was practicing going inverted at the end of my curcuit as the plane is passing me by as it goes out to the front side. Saw Predator doing that alot in his videos (especially the roadside dsing ones). It was really fun, but I stll need alot of practice.

Practice makes perfect,
Chris
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:27 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Thanks guys. I practiced doing inverted laps back and forth along the slope trying to do pylon style turns, for weeks before I had a chance to try inverted DS. One of the scary things is just not knowing if you have enough elevator to pull out that bottom turn when you're upside down!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:40 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
That feeling goes away fast with an Out-Law, my big 48" wing. It is almost a symmetrical airfoil and it does inside and out action like nobodies business. Well, honestly, a lot like a JW's handling. Having any and all differential worked out to have symmetrical push/pull action makes it easier too. It hardly notices which side is up if you can just keep it smooth. Once you relax and trust yourself I think you'll have it.

Man do I love the rolling climb up the back to lock inverted at the pilot's position and just have it scream by solid as can be for a HUGE inverted pump then pulling the ship hard while inverted right back to us for an "in through the out door" right in front of our faces! Then maybe roll the "wrong way" while diving down the back and push out across the dark side kind of low. Yea BABY!
You should see the looks you get from some newbies after that sequence! Its like diving in and dumping a bomber full of candy on them. Shell shock and pleasure all in one! It makes me happy too!
I think doing smooth crisp accurate acro really gains the trust of the brothers too and let's us all relax and enjoy. Wild acro should be performed alone or with vigilant accepting onlookers only. Getting confused is easy!
Chris already stated the KEY ingredient!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Feb 09, 2009, 02:26 AM
Joined Mar 2005
850 Posts
Deep Creek

Had a great time today up at Deep Creek with some of the ADSJ's! Glad to have such friendly visitors and that everyone had some good air to fly and had a good time as well. You guys are welcome anytime as you know.
Mark- That was cool seeing a huge smile on your face the entire day. Am stoked you got a bunch of laps in and that your gulp lived! Gotta love rain soaked dirt.
Chris- Cool to see you again and hope you had fun, your wing served you well...boy that thing is tough. That suicide lil furball was awesome!
Greg- Way to go man, nice flying and a beautiful 90oz gulp that shredded today.
James- I wish that we couldve gotten some of your planes dialed in a bit better, hope to see you there again someday.
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Feb 09, 2009, 11:28 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
Deep Creek

Yeah Vic it sure was a fun day. Good wind, good friends and lots of laps. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of the place, you and Bret definitely have it wired

Mark
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:01 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGlide
Yeah Vic it sure was a fun day. Good wind, good friends and lots of laps. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of the place, you and Bret definitely have it wired

Mark
Meanwhile, ADSJ board member James#1 was pulling his hair out watching the wind blow while he was stuck entertaining his GF and visiting friend at the wild animal park because he lacked the proper excuse (invitation to go DS) to do otherwise...

-James
Laying it on thick and hoping it sticks
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:30 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,696 Posts
Yeah thanks for thinking about the other ADSJ members stuck doing family things.

My real Jeep buddies would give me a call when I was at my in-laws saying they were broken dowm or needed a winch or to bring a trailer to get thier junk home and that was all I needed to get out of in-law torture.

But what about my ADSJ buddies??? I they were out having fun while I was waiting till I could bail.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:53 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
Sorry James, now I feel like a real schmuck. I'll skip the lame excuses cause they're just that.... Next South we'll be going again, so I'll be calling the night before. As for you RB, you got too many laps last weekend so this was just a way for me to keep you in my sights. TPG meeting tomm, are you going?

Mark
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGlide
Sorry James, now I feel like a real schmuck. I'll skip the lame excuses cause they're just that.... Next South we'll be going again, so I'll be calling the night before. As for you RB, you got too many laps last weekend so this was just a way for me to keep you in my sights. TPG meeting tomm, are you going?

Mark

I'll be there. I hear the guest speaker is an world class pilot, cant remember his name tho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Had a great time flying the past couple days at Bills Hill with Greg. Yesterday was more consistent and got some really fun laps in with my 2.5 meter Kobra. Today was a little up and down, but still alot of curcuits. We madiened Nick's new Moth that he got for his birthday, and just finished the build. It flew perfect with just a couple clicks of trim. It is his first plank and I can't wait to see what he does with it on the backside when he gets it dialed in. Greg let me do a few laps with his 48" Gulp. Wow what a smooth and responsive plane. Really, fun.

Another Greg joined us yesterday and today. He is getting back into flying and dsing after some time off. He had an old school Bluto and was tearing up the backside with it. Great meeting his girlfiriend today also. She was really cool and Greg was teaching her on his Zagi.

Good times had by all. Just needed a couple more MPH's to really rock. Can't wait for Spring to kick in soon.

Chris
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:46 PM
Oceanside, CA
Joined Nov 2008
2 Posts
Hi Chris and Greg, It was great meeting and flying with you and it is great to get back into DSing after about 6 years out of it.

This is a great thread. It's been fun reading about all the fun you have had. Unfortunately I have spent a lot more time reading about DSing than I have actually doing it lately. I can't wait to try some of those sites you have been talking about. I will have my new JW done soon.

It is nothing special, but here is video I shot on Friday;
SANY1617 (2 min 40 sec)
Your plane looks really big in the video and unfortunately I did not get the real small loops you were making.
gketterman is offline Find More Posts by gketterman
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Greg, glad you found the thead. The video is great. At the end you really caught the effect of the sun in my eyes trying to find my groove. Since it was only the second time dsing the plane in such light conditions it is cool to watch what I was doing and learn from it. It is so different dsing $1,000 worth of plane compared to foam wings and things. It ds's so well, but so dangereous to make a mistake.

Thank for posting it. I look forward of seeing you dsing your JW and flying with you again.

Chris
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:11 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,470 Posts
No shoes, no shirt no DSing
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:46 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,696 Posts
Nice at least someone got some wind today.
RCG Plus Member