HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:52 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Nick I am so stoke you and Jimmy scored Parker so well. I am still waiting to get it good. Glad you got to put the Rebel to the test. They are such a great wing.

Chris
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Hey Thepasty, awesome flying guys. You guys are naturals. Glad to see that location cleans up with the right wind direction. That video is really great.

Chris
I was on the modified Bee! Boomed up!

It was a great day and yeah that stack really cleans up nice with the wind smack on!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:17 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Thanks Nick, I'm glad the Rebel is serving you well! As far as fur balls go, a DS dedicated wing is the way to go! They rarely get hurt even when things get a bit. . . NASTY! Let the fun continue!

I never want to break up another pilots ship, I want it to remain a flying target ALL DAY LONG!

Nice flying Patsy, glad to hear the site worked out well for you. The video makes it clear how much improved it was that day! Just for the record, I call it, "In through the out door." Generally, pilots exit the groove and enter the frontside near the pilots' position. I call that area near the pilots the "Out Door" since it is mainly used to exit the dark side. I try to avoid going in through the out door with a fur ball going because I am effectively setting up a BIG HEAD-ON crash since I'm going, "In through the out door". OPPS! It could be easy to smash a pilot trying to retrieving a downed ship too because they alway look at the dark side when they first decide to dash across the exit zone of the ships that are still DSing. They never look at the front side to see if an "in through the out door" move is coming as they first leave the pilot line and step into the danger zone. . .

I like to do much of my most intricate DS acro alone or with others crowed right around me so that I know the one place where I cannot go to protect the rest and remain undistracted at the same time.
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:00 PM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
ah ok, I'll just call it a reversal or something for simplicity's sake
Thepasty is offline Find More Posts by Thepasty
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:39 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Ah gee, I think you'll end up with about 3 or more maneuvers called "reversal" due to the broad range of moves that name might be referring to.

IMHO, the best names for maneuvers are names that actually bring something to mind that distinctly reminds you of that specific maneuver or resembles that maneuver closely. You know, where the name kind of defines the maneuver without any ambiguity. . . so we know what we're actually talking about, for simplicity's sake.

I'll leave the ". . . I was deliberately slowing down. . ." comment out. But we're not HUGE idiots! LOL are we? Come on!

I think you'll be one of the best DS/DS acro pilots around Steve, find your place, then listen and work to emerge at the top with your videos. I've been working at it like that for years now; it works. Biting a hand offering good advice only hurts you. I cling to my mentor like cellophane and that has become VERY rewarding! I'll post a video I made for him once I'm sure he had the debut showing, mentors are GOLD! also few and far between, especially this close to the top! Let's share respect for one another, all of us, and we'll be better for it. There NEVER will be a Best pilot in anything but many special ones will be out there! and that is our unchosen brotherhood, for better or for worse. Let's make the best of it! Please.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
I think he was having a laugh matey, dont forget the british humour!
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:26 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
Indeed... I was messing with ya... think about it, what would be my motives behind being critical? I'm in this hobby for the luv of it, not to p!ss people off.

I do resent your dig at me RE my comment "I was deliberately slowing down", I'm not one of those bull s**t ego maniacs, I say it as it is. On that day if I'd gone much faster I would have fallen over through my knees shaking so much.... ask Hexo, he could see tham shaking through my trousers!

Try not to be so defensive and reactionary.

Now give me a hug!

Wheres the kiss smiley?

Steve
Last edited by Thepasty; Jan 05, 2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:08 AM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,591 Posts
I am not at all understanding how this has developed into a disagreement.

Two nations divided by a common language.

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:15 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2006
2,459 Posts
more missunderstanding than disagreement I'd say.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:35 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
I think we should call Thepasty Shakin' Stevens from now on

And I agree with Pasty that if you go to fast and loose control on that site, there is a big possibility of killing yourself on retreval so we have to be careful.

We were so happy that day had a nice smooth dark side so we could do some slow controlled aeros!
Old Jan 05, 2009, 10:15 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I know I can be a PITA. . . I'm sorry.

I'm not the easiest to work with till I get out on the slope and demonstrate the value of my points while earning credibility with them, "live". I hope to do it with video more now. I'm kind of a stranger to being doubted or questioned in person where I have tools to support my points clearly. I love being wrong on technical stuff though, that means I just learned something and improved. This is a different venue, not in person, and I should treat it as such and will try.

I'm sorry I doubted that you were slowing on purpose. I doubted it because I never want to slow down in a big strong nasty groove like you were that day, slowing reduces control authority and aerodynamic stability making a rough groove an impossible groove much of the time here at home.

At Jones Pass, a super monster rough groove at times, the first circuit can be the worst if you do not dive in with lots of speed because of the backside turbulence so, we dive in at max speed and try hard to keep it up despite the scary, verticle wall of a cornice and steep loose rocky slope below, not really deadly though, just a longish tumble of a digger if you go down and a rough hike back at 12+K' MSL either way.

More speed improves our odds of making it out of that crap, that may not be true for you guys yet but, I think you'll see it soon as you adjust to the new speeds with extended exposure.
Check out this video, the dark side is a line of big broken cliff faces. . . often covered in snow and ice. The groove is rough and unfamiliar as I am flying it in the opposite wind direction then is normal to us. I fight to keep my speeds up, hug the "fun" cliffs and at the end I make a tough save after trying too hard to show off for the camera, the speed allowed the save by giving me a second chance to cross the shear. The assumption is that I won't crash. During the second 1/2 of that clip I'm consciously working hard to dive deeper down the cliffs to find better air but, I keep getting deflected off a shear bubble, then I finally punch through it and gain more speed flying real low, commence leg shakes, I honestly commented on my shaking legs to the camera man once he finished shooting.
I'll post the video when Vimeo has it uploaded.

Personally- I'd rather have moderate conditions with smooth air for acro too Hexosex, especially with a Rebel or my new Fiend wing with a pull crazy dedicated DS airfoil, it really goes fast in not much! Ideally, I'd like mega smooth power at a huge site so I can haul . . . and simply extend my circuits if I need more time or space to complete any said maneuver. Jones is truly unreal for that. There is no limit to the space for SCARY speeds and wild moves. The tough part, trying to get nice video of a 48" ship going 120MPH and covering over 1/2 mile of ridge while doing wild acro with a stationary camera. I have tons of it and most of it kind of sinks, even in HD.

Thanks Steve . . .we'll get to know each other and I think the misunderstandings will be fewer as we do.
Thanks brother!
. . .Group hug. . . well almost!
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:56 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
Unfortunately Shakin Stevens never made to this side of the pond.
I have to admit he was a guilty pleasure in my early years thanks to Dave Edmunds. Bubblegum was so much better back then.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
So its all good if you appologize, but not when someone else does. I see how it is.
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:21 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I tried to PM you right away Vic. You had me blocked from communication via PMs after you told me to "F. . . off dude!" was the verbage used as I recall so, I did what you told me to do.
Steve and I never started swearing at each other or anything like that. We worked it out maturely. Many of my best friendships began with heated debates such as that and the conclusions reveal much about our good character.

Anyway, here's that vid
Bat Man, Zion DS East (1 min 36 sec)
. Just a shorty. I suppose I'll just try keeping the big mouth shut for awhile. It's supposed to be windy for a few days anyway.
Please us a PM if you'd like to chat on private/personal matters.
I'll be shaken it too! I had no idea, LOL
Last edited by The Predator; Jan 05, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
Now that the beans are spilled, why go private. I appologized to Karl for some remarks that I made about his mentor that were offensive, and his response was something like...stay away from my business, oh and by the way, your planes will never go faster than 160 cuz you dont know your RE#S so dont make and ass out of yourself by cutting a 60 kit for bill. So I told him to f off. I felt that was out of line to cut someone down in such a matter that was making an attempt to appologize. Definately not cool.
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-