HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Found it...

little and very light handlaunch colibri-v.... good flyer.

JOe

Colibri DSing at parker Mt. (0 min 51 sec)
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:54 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,450 Posts
very cool JOe!
the sound is so cool!

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I think it would be cool if we could some how calibrate size (wing span) with speed. So you could say JOe was doing OK at 72MPH but with a 36" size handicap and the size adjusted speed is XXX I think he was RIPPING!!! Maybe have the 60"er class be the default, no handicaps one way or the other and actual penalties for LARGER ships, over 60". I propose this idea to show pilots of smaller and larger ships where they are at in terms of DEMANDED skill to achieve said speed with an given wing span. I guess it would really be a skill index. It takes the same skill to fly a 72" plank at 130MPH or a 36" at say 60MPH.
I have a new 72" plank I've been flying PRETTY fast lately and it is REAL easy for me to DS at speed compared to progressively smaller ships.
Perhaps just dividing the speed, in MPH, by the span, in inches. I just ran the #'s above and they seem reasonable 1.8 skill index for the 72" at 130MPH and 1.67 for the 36" at 60MPH or 72MPH over 36" is a straight 2 on the skill index . That makes a 110" going 300MPH 2.7 on the skill index. That's not too far off either from what I know, just a bit high I think but, the extra .3 -.4 jump (total guess) could be attributed to the differences between a foamie and carbon ship because obviously a super high end CF moulie will be easier to fly then ANY foamie ever was.
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree in these areas to allow me to see all the variables involved, this is just a start but, I really like this concept just get a rough idea about the required skill level to fly ANYTHING of ANY size fast. I think using current records for all the different size ships could further help us establish a formula to roughly judge relative skill levels.
This will NEVER be a perfect system, ignoring TONS of other factors like wind speed and AUW but, I do think it would be a quick and helpful way to roughly asses speed achievements of any pilots with any ship. Just a general guide. Anyone smart enough to refine this idea any? I've exceeded my RAM already!

I had a crazy magic DS day yesterday and I posted on it in the slope forum- front range thread if you have any interest. . . a bit long winded as usual, LOL
I will do a small blerb on "how to recognize GREAT DS sites and conditions" because this is some KEY stuff to going from, Ya I'm doing it. . . barely . . . OPPS! to Was that INSAIN or WHAT? !!! The first part is to recognise that the site and conditions are inseperably tied to one another and you DS experience is completely dependant on the interaction between the two and their resultant products! Front side air (speed, lift component, degrees off angle, and general turbulence), shear (depth, height, angle and uniformity), and back side air (spills, flows, leaks, general turbulence, or calm). ALL that stuff is KEY and a bit more concerning air mass composition, pressure, temperature, relative temperatures, convection, and instability. Terrain shapes, causing leaks, back side flows, slope angle and lip shape affect the situation too. . . OMG This is ALOT of interplaying variables, years worth really. I'll do what I can to go breif and simple but, the topic is ANYTHING but simple and a complex understanding of the situation DEFINITELY has its rewards!

In JOe's video you can hear wind noise on the camera mic generally during most of his rougher laps, and less noise during his fastest passes. Turbulence is getting to the camera mic, the wind noise you hear, and JOe's plane, scrubbing off speed and slapping that little ship around, at roughly the same moment. Obviouly JOe knows how to fly a smooth circle so, we can be fairly sure about this assessment, not so easy with a rookie all over the place, since it is harder to differenciate pilot induced FUNCK and air induced funk with a shakey fingered pilot. . . .
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Last edited by The Predator; Jun 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Greg wish I could make it up to the bump Saturday, but it looks like I will be at Poway with a bunch of my San Diego friends. Would love to watch you ds the bump and get your insight there.
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Wow Predator great stuff. totally right on way to look at it.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
I'm excited I just found 25' of surgical tubing at the local medical supply store! So whether the lift is good on the frontside of Poway or not, as long as there is wind, the DSing will be great on the backside. Bungee launch, dive right in DS'ing tomorrow baby!!! There is going to be alot of giggling like a school girl (actually "boy") stuff going on. Can't wait.

Chris
Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
Sooo,

What is the latest on Poway access?
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End
Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End
Sooo,

What is the latest on Poway access?
According to my Weight Watchers Online Points Calculator, the Poway hike earns 2 "Activity Points", which is equivalent to one large banana, one Yoplait Light yogurt, or one string cheese.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
According to my Weight Watchers Online Points Calculator, the Poway hike earns 2 "Activity Points", which is equivalent to one large banana, one Yoplait Light yogurt, or one string cheese.

How many "activity points" for picking up your plane from the backside... running from rattlesnakes?

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
I am a bad boy, and just pop the gate at the top with weed wacker plastic string (.065"). I have not been hastled for a long time. Just try and keep it low key and respectful. Also with the rattle snake danger, I don't want to be huffing myself all the way down the hill if I got bit. Have not seen a snake yet out there, but I am sure they are around.

That's my excuse, what's yours? )
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I'm going for a mini bungie launcher too, eventually. I have a few lead sled ships that are pretty marginal in light front side air but, they REALLY get going if I get just get that first dip into the back going!
No more ideas on a skill index?
I have not seen a single snake this year either, and now I regret even saying it! Here they come!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey Predetor, I hate to say it that even though I am an accountant, I am terable at doing math in my head. Also, since I am so new to dsing I have never even dsed with a radar gun around.

That said, I think wind speed would have to be factored in. But maybe not since I guess your factoring in is based on the fact that a smaller plane going 50 is the same as a large plane going 100. I have not read anything on that principle, yet I have heard people mention it. I would be great if you could explain that perspective or throw up a link that does.

On the fun practical side. If you are at the slope with someone with a radar gun. The 60"er's speed would be the base and have a zero factor and everyone else could use your factor to see who is really going the fastest based on plane size. Is that what you are refering to? I think that would be cool.

Love the educational side of this thread.

Chris
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Ok I'm out of here, the blinds on my bedroom window are blowing , which means the wind at the coast is starting to blow. So here is the day's plan.

Load up planes and head to starbucks. Get my quadshot over ice in a venti cup (where my Quadshot handle comes from)

Go to Daves Beach and do a little coastal slopin. Also, cg my restored weasel for ds bungee fun.

Hook up with Mark (Freeglide) and head on out to Poway and DS till sunset with the DS Junkies.

Video camera is charged, so footage to follow.

Surf and Turf day!

Everyone have a great day flying/dsing. Let us all know how the day was.

Chris
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:55 AM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Greg wish I could make it up to the bump Saturday, but it looks like I will be at Poway with a bunch of my San Diego friends. Would love to watch you ds the bump and get your insight there.

I'm probably not going to make it out to Poway today 'cause the GF is leaving this evening for a week and she wants some "quality" time together.
However, I'm getting all the planes charged up for some fun somewhere tomorrow... I'm thinking of either Blossom or Bill's Hill (Pala).

Any non-fathers available for some DS time tomorrow too?

-James
didn't go to santa barbara
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Just got back and cleaned off the Poway dust.

Had a good time today. Met up with James, Chris, Mark and Mike. Mr Robert was just leaving as I got there and another guy left when I showed up. Not much wind but fun enough.

Chris' bungee is a hoot, radared at 73 mph on launch.

James P-51 DSed at 46 mph, HP did 50 or so.
Chris' Bird hit 73, Weasel hit 50, Mini Weasel 23, miniswift was too slow to radar.
Marks M60 was in the 60's, Mini Destiny DNF, Miniflow ???, Weasel 49.
All I brought was my race weasel and hit 50 mph my offical radared PB.

We must have set some records:

Fastest Foamie P-51, Fastest MiniWeasel, Miniswift and Miniflow DS speeds

and most Weasels on the backside at the same time.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member