HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:33 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,445 Posts
here is a clip of my LEG p-51 at parker.

you tube resolution murdered it though!

LEG p51 ds (0 min 25 sec)

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,209 Posts
I just love ds combat! Thats some real fun,,,That and the sound of about 6 J-dub's ripping it up..Oh yeh and warbird ds is fun too...well as long as its ds it's gotta be fun.

N
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:24 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
Here's a little footage from yesterday's 'slope flu' substitute for work I added 6 oz of ballast to my JW 54 and she went from 'fun' to ballistic on the back in 20 mph winds. Tempted to add another 6 oz.

Marty - you're right about Youtube compression thrashing vids. I'm going to look into Vimeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9Q_8h-ktY
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
i found an old video fo me dsing a handlaunch plane?... dont really know the purpose of it but its the Colibri-V from arthobby.com.... i'll post it later.

JOe
I remember that Colibri video. I had an ArtHobby Falco at the time and after watching the vid I tried DSing it too - all the way up into the mid 40mph range (no radar, LOL)
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
nice vid it should be better res

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtMc
Here's a little footage from yesterday's 'slope flu' substitute for work I added 6 oz of ballast to my JW 54 and she went from 'fun' to ballistic on the back in 20 mph winds. Tempted to add another 6 oz.

Marty - you're right about Youtube compression thrashing vids. I'm going to look into Vimeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9Q_8h-ktY
email or post it in hi res and I will put it on the jw page on rcspeeds

chris@rcspeeds.com if you email vid keep em under 60mb
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:25 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I'm STOKED. I was starting to think I was basically a lone FREAK doing this stuff! Love the vids! I am so happy to know that unconventional DS of MANY types is not just some silly concoction! I wish we were all closer together!
I wear flip flops on cactus strewn, rattle snake infested desert ridges and slopes TOO, LOL! It helps me stay WAY cooler but my feet come home SOO dirty the shower floor may never be the SAME! On a practical note. Rattle snakes ARE a reality for many of us. Whenever I have a wing in my hand and I'm hiking in snake country, I always keep a wingtip low and in front of my feet regardless of footwear for a foam shield and decoy for the snakes to munch on! LOL, SERIOUSLY though!

If the ships are going INSANELY fast over head I have to make the call. Foam shield for the head back and neck, or snake shield. Usually I cover my head! ESPECIALLY if Nick is around! I still have that video of HIS PSS Design DSing at Jones too, that was CRAZY!

He and I have had some of THE NASTIEST DS arco combat EVER last fall! 28 ozs Predator ZomBee-asts (Full burrly coat covered) Ripping DS arco to set up for shear line entry/exit heads! Tails were lost, ships were crashed. It was SWEET! We LAUGHED! Maybe not something to do in a crowd though?

I've been learning copious amount about DS and design of DS wings and planks for the last year or more. If you guys are interested, I'd like to offer up some of this experience and, I was thinking site selection and analysis would be GREAT info for us amateurs to have. Hopefully Nick and Ian will chime in with some of their experience too! It is some serious work for me so, I want there to be interest if I'm going to do it.

What chu all tik, Brothers? This type of knowledge lead me to one of my favorite and most dynamic DS sites, right in my back yard too! I'll toss in some ideal weather conditions too since it is inseparably related!
I LOVE the spirit of this thread! Makes me feel that excited anticipation again, like being a high school VIRGIN, LOL! Or maybe part of it is from the HIGH I'm still on from yesterday's SESH! OMG!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Had a lot of fun DSing my LedSled P51 Mustang at Norco

Man that thing was fast,,, it was great till I got it a little low on the back side, what a crash. AND at 4 or five pounds, only two servos and ultra thin wings she was a bit to handel on the landings... lol

Got a new 4+ pounder, DS, led sled now,, te he just for Weldon. I'll make sure I get Video.

MAN the Led Sleds are so fast, look cool, sound cool but a little hard to DS at those speeds,, what fun!!!!!!!
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:50 AM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtMc
Vimeo is WAAAAYYYYY better than YouTube... make the change, if not for yourself, at least for those of us who like to watch the vids. Though, as with all the video sites, the quality of your video in the first place is what really matters.

I love the P51 DS footage and that site for the JW looks nice. Keep 'em comin'

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
144 Posts
the "bump"

Anyone interested going to the bump SAT. Here is a vid of one of my first DS attemps last OCT. 60" is a little challanging. Now with 115" and loving it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgmGC2Gi6I
GreggB is offline Find More Posts by GreggB
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB
Anyone interested going to the bump SAT. Here is a vid of one of my first DS attemps last OCT. 60" is a little challanging. Now with 115" and loving it.

Is the bump a secret spot? Or could you give directions?

Not sure but I might be able to fly Sat--
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB

I totally want to go there!! What, do you have a whistle on that shark?

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Hey everyone, Great stuff. I am glad everyone is so stoked on this tread. I just knew there were others out their like myself.

You guys crack me up. Looks like I am going to get inspired to reserect all the planes in the MIA pile. I have a colibi that needs a little TLC and would be really cool to DS, as well as my Apache, Scrappy, Zipper, Weasel... The weasel will be ready this weekend, and I can't wait to dive her in.

Mr Predator, great idea of using your plane as a rattle snake decoy. Never even thought about that, and have been a bit stressed with the news here in San Diego saying that the strengh of the venom seems to have increased and that over 20 people have been hospitalized this year already.

Also, I would love to hear your research and insights about DSing in this thread. I have only been DSing for a couple months and would love to see your wisdom on the subject.

Oh well lunch time is over, back to counting beans. I can't wait to get home to watch all the new video on this thread. Work has the video links blocked, but at least Rcgroups is not.

Keep the faith!
Chris
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:38 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
144 Posts
The bump is actually in the city of Winchester. Winchester Rd and Benton are the major cross streets. Just north of that @ Winchester and Pourroy(not sure on spelling). Cant miss it from there , road cut into face of hill. For anyone wanting to come up please post for better directions. Sat shows to be perfect for DS. *****PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY ON DIRT ROAD NEAR HOMES*******
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
Beyond Soaring
Joined Mar 2005
255 Posts
Hi GreggB

Is this the location that your‘re talking about, nice little bump, does it works well with a south-west wind?
I wish you could fly at Diamond Valley Reservoir up at the vista point that over looks the west dam, would be a neat place to fly also, If you could, I don’t think MWD will give you permission too.

John
EagleOne is offline Find More Posts by EagleOne
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:42 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
144 Posts
You've found it. SW winds are perfect for DS here. I went up yesterday and today and it was great. 10-15 on front = about 80-100 on back. I live about 2 miles from hill and go up after work when its good. This weekend should be about the same.
And yes , whistle on the Shark. Kind of cool but gets irritating after a while. However this was my first few learning days and to tell you the truth it really helped out finding the sweet spots when conditions were light like that. you could easily hear when the plane would speed up and give you the confidence that you would make it back up.
Wind usually builds up by 2PM till about 7PM