HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioglitch
Thanks Alex....I am glad you got a new reciever...last week or so you did not look to happy at poway...

Dave
Yeah I did an odd job for my mother and she paid me $35.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2008, 04:08 PM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Alex

Thats cool, you are all set now....

Dave
radioglitch is offline Find More Posts by radioglitch
Last edited by radioglitch; Jul 06, 2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:01 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Very nice. What are you going to do with the fuse?
Old Jul 05, 2008, 10:43 PM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Alex

I am still thinking about what to do with the fuse.

Dave
Last edited by radioglitch; Jul 06, 2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:25 AM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Alex

I am still thinking about what to do with the fuse.

I heard that the stuff in goof off will work with goop to make it like hot syrup.

and it wont melt the epp....I have some in the shop at work...I am going to test it on some epp 1st.

Do you have a way Alex you used on yours?

Dave
To thin goop out you just mix it with either Toluene or Xylene. Go to your local hardware store. I know you can find Xylene as a product called Xylol by Sunnyside. It comes in a paint thinner-like can.

Here's a link to my previous post where I talked about what I did with my Moth's fuse.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=212

What is Goof Off? I've never heard of it.

Edit: Did some quick research on Goof Off and it looks like it's some kind of paint thinner. That will not thin goop. You need either of the two chemicals I mentioned above.

By the way, I usually mix my goop to be like room temperature syrup. Hot syrup would be too thin I think.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:14 AM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Alex

You DS'ing next weekend at poway?

Dave
Last edited by radioglitch; Jul 06, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:23 AM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Alex

can I just tape my wing?? I tried econocote on my scrappy and I warped the wing a bit....another reason why i dont like to iron on covering is when I snap the scrappy wing almost in half at daves beach...I felt like god what a waste of time..I had to tear off the econocote and fix the break and then I use tape to repair the wing..lol

I think I am going to tape the wing..I feel it is easier to maintain than using a iron on covering...the manual for the moth says I can use tape if I want...

Dave
Tape is fine. I don't think econocote works well on foam. I used monokote and had no problems. You can find monokote at Discount Hobby Warehouse.

Monokote is stronger than tape because it provides multidirectional strength whereas tape is just two directions (along the length of the tape). It also leaves a smoother finish (faster!), and looks nicer in most cases. I think monokote gives you a little more opportunity to be creative with your airplanes as well because you can really get into the designs whereas with tape you are more limited to straight lines and whatnot.

Also, tape tends to be a bit more transparent - you'll end up seeing the foam underneath and the strapping tape as well.

I really think that tape is more work because there's more pieces to put down, more air bubbles to worry about, not to mention wrinkles. I like monokote because it's simple to apply and it looks real nice. My Moth was the first plane I ever did monokote on and it turned out super nice.

About repairs to the covering, just put on a patch and you're good to go!

To each their own, I suppose.

Are you going to give the Plasti Dip method a shot for the fuse? That's what Chris did on his old Moth.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:35 AM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Yes I am considering the plasti dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosta
Tape is fine. I don't think econocote works well on foam. I used monokote and had no problems. You can find monokote at Discount Hobby Warehouse.

Monokote is stronger than tape because it provides multidirectional strength whereas tape is just two directions (along the length of the tape). It also leaves a smoother finish (faster!), and looks nicer in most cases. I think monokote gives you a little more opportunity to be creative with your airplanes as well because you can really get into the designs whereas with tape you are more limited to straight lines and whatnot.

Also, tape tends to be a bit more transparent - you'll end up seeing the foam underneath and the strapping tape as well.

I really think that tape is more work because there's more pieces to put down, more air bubbles to worry about, not to mention wrinkles. I like monokote because it's simple to apply and it looks real nice. My Moth was the first plane I ever did monokote on and it turned out super nice.

About repairs to the covering, just put on a patch and you're good to go!

To each their own, I suppose.

Are you going to give the Plasti Dip method a shot for the fuse? That's what Chris did on his old Moth.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:51 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,636 Posts
Quote:
Yes I am considering the plasti dip
We went through a Plasti-dip phase a few years ago, and found it
seriously lacking. It has very little tensile strength compared to Goop.
It has less resistance to tears, and will actually chunk. It's not
an adhesive so you can't put anything over it, including itself.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
We went through a Plasti-dip phase a few years ago, and found it
seriously lacking. It has very little tensile strength compared to Goop.
It has less resistance to tears, and will actually chunk. It's not
an adhesive so you can't put anything over it, including itself.

ian
The Plasti-Dip works just fine. I did not use it in place of goop... I put Goop under and over it and have had no problems with it for over 3 months of intense use. There are a few holes but they are easily repaired by smoothing it out with some Xylene and taking 10 seconds to spray on some more Plasti Dip.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:47 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
669 Posts
Hi jack

Hey guys sorry to rain on your parade but this was supposed to be a thread on DS'ing, not a Moth build.

Dave, one of the best build threads for a Moth (IMHO) is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=241288&page=1

Mark
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:27 PM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Thanks for the link Mark.....ok guys no more..discussing a moth build that is used for DS'ing...thank you.

Dave
Old Jul 06, 2008, 07:35 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
757 Posts
Poway 7-6-08

Went to Poway today and it was pretty good. We had Mike Wade, Pismo Jim, his Brother Terry, Alex and myself. The DS was a lttle bumpy in the sheer layer, but no problems on the front side getting high enough to dive it.

I was unfortunate and broke a servo arm on my Skua and an elevon on my Moth. Neither one will be a big deal though.

I got to tell you though, both Jim and his brother appeared to be way faster than us! They were flying M60's and were ripp'in it up. Needless to say I was being a big pussy and running for cover .

None the less we all had a great time.

Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Jul 06, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Poway was ok I suppose. It was pretty much just scratchin for lift until around 4 or so.

And of course with my luck I ended up having more radio issues and broke a servo arm just as the lift was getting good.

I stuck around and took a few pictures for Mike with his camera and watched him fly his powered sailplane. What was that thing called?
Old Jul 06, 2008, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)