SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:38 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Video did not come out that well with the new camera. I was shooting to low, and did not have the best resolution settings. Hopefully, I'll get better video tomorrow.
quadshot is offline Find More Posts by quadshot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Bummer about the video. I'd still like to see the video that you got of me DSing even if it isn't so great. I won't be able to make it up there until I can find a way to get some cash for a new receiver. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Glad to hear that Dave found his groove. I'm jealous about today though, I want a radar gun tracking my plane - it'd make me work harder! :-p
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:46 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably
James, I want you to know that i really enjoyed watching your video. I even watched the Keys View video. And that looks like a great location. Any back to Keys view? And where is it?

Thank you John, I'm glad you enjoyed the video... though I wish I had some footage of you flying as that would have made the video shine no matter what

Key's View is in Joshua Tree National Park, like Alex said. But what Alex said about it not being worth the trip is NOT true, but more based on the fact that he crashed his plane there during his first visit in less than perfect (but still good) conditions. If you've ever been to the park you'll know what I'm talking about... if not, besides the natural beauty of the whole place that leaves you in awe, the flying at Key's View can be outstanding with huge lift everywhere like Cajon on steroids. It's just the landing part of things that gets kinda' tricky, especially if you're flying some of the big composite birds (I've still only flown foam there).
The spot I've been DS'ng at Key's View (only on two occassions) is mighty shallow with some rough turbulence from the not so smooth lip. It's also the extreme opposite of Weldon's nice "sandbox" backside, littered with spikey plants and rock everywhere else. There is a backside further up the hill from where I've DS'd but I've yet to try it out. On the topo it looks steeper and deeper, I just need to make the extra couple hundred yard hike up there.
Next time I go out there (in the fall 'cause it IS to hot in the summer) I'll shoot you a message to let you know.

Here's another thread from my first time flying the frontside up at Key's View.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697019

Thanks again for the props!
-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,059 Posts
Keys View

Thanks James,
I may try it when the desert cools down a bit. I was in Joshua tree in the 70s, but then i wasnt thinking of gliding.
Indubitably is online now Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Key's
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:05 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Well another awesome day DSing was had by all again at Poway.

Mark, David, Robert, Ray, and some other guy who joined us.

What can I say, Robert DSing his Cobalt, Mark with his new JW, Ray with his Halfpipe 60, and Dave with his wings.

First thing that was cool was Dave who was the designated DS virgin yesterday threw off first and instantly improved overnight. He was gooving his wing like he had been dsing for years. Made all us other guys wondering why it took us so many days to get the ds groove going. Anyway, he is no longer a DS virgin, but I'm afraid he will be the desigated ds slut like the rest of us if he is not careful with his reputation. LOL

Then Robert tosses his sexy Cobalt and starts making noises that I had not heard a foam plane make. Awesome watching that thing scream.

But then Ray shows up with his burly covered halfpipe 60, and starts ripping curcuit like my carbon bird does. Big huge fast curcuits. Amazing him getting the top speed of the day at 70mph.

Mark decides to fly the used JW60 he is buying, and dives into the backside right away. All you hear is wow, cool, wooh, this thing is so smooth... This is from the M60 master.

Finally, this guy and his girlfriend show up and he starts dsing his wing (rader) and showing us all up. He was gooving that wing with the best of our ds planks. He has definitely been dsing before!

My bungee was still there from leaving it yesterday, and it sure came in handy when the wind switch and made the frontside so hard to get dive in height.

I still suck at taking pictures with my new video camera, but getting better as I learn how to point it without a viewfinder. I just set up a Vimeo account and uploaded a video (23 minutes), but it says I have to wait in line 60 minutes and they will email me when it is ready. So I will try and get you all something when it is available.

Hi my name is Chris and I am a content DS junkie!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:25 AM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
DS'ing At Poway June 28 2008

Video coming online soon...

Thanks Chris for upgrading me to DS slut, I feel relieved lol

I had a awesome sat and sun with you and the rest of the other DS sluts...

Later

I am working on the other 10 videos and have them posted this week...

Hi my name is David and I am also a content DS junkie like Chris!!
radioglitch is offline Find More Posts by radioglitch
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:36 AM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Ok here is one video so far....enjoy....I was praying not getting hit by Chris and James lol...

Hi my name is David and I am also a content DS junkie like Chris!!

Dynamic Soaring #2 (1 min 36 sec)
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:14 AM
Joined Apr 2007
584 Posts
Untitled (1 min 47 sec)
Last edited by quadshot; Jun 30, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshot
Well another awesome day DSing was had by all again at Poway.

Mark, David, Robert, Ray, and some other guy who joined us.....

Finally, this guy and his girlfriend show up.......
you forgot add his "Hot Trialthete" girlfriend. but the guy was smooth with the wing - and who says chicks dont like guys that fly RC.

Robert has got to have the Cobalt DS record (possibly because he's the only one to have DSed one) at 60 mph.

When Dave gets more lead or a plank he'll be showing us up.

Chris consider keeping a list of Poway DS "Speed" records just for us amatures. The other DS records sites start too high for our speeds to be even acknowledged.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Happy Thanksgiving All.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
Santa Rosa,CA
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
I notice I was crashing more because of her...I kept looking at the eye candy instead of flying my wing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
you forgot add his "Hot Trialthete" girlfriend. but the guy was smooth with the wing - and who says chicks dont like guys that fly RC.

Robert has got to have the Cobalt DS record (possibly because he's the only one to have DSed one) at 60 mph.

When Dave gets more lead or a plank he'll be showing us up.

Chris consider keeping a list of Poway DS "Speed" records just for us amatures. The other DS records sites start too high for our speeds to be even acknowledged.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:59 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
758 Posts
Next time we get some big wind, I'll bring out the Thorn. Gota beat 70!

Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:01 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioglitch
I notice I was crashing more because of her...I kept looking at the eye candy instead of flying my wing....
Hah! That's classic. Wish I could have been there...darn receiver.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:33 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,623 Posts
Chris,

Here are the speeds and planes I remember from Sunday:

60 MPH Cobalt Mr. Robert
54 MPH Raider New Guy
44 MPH Raider Radioglitch
69 MPH M60 Freeglide
50 MPH Moth Mr. Robert
64 MPH JW60 Mr. Robert
50 MPH Weasel Quadshot
XX MPH MiniJW Quadshot
XX MPH Skua
70 MPH HP60 Rockbus

From two weeks ago
50 MPH Weasel Quadshot
50 MPH Weasel Rockbus
49 MPH Weasel Freeglide
XX MPH Foamy P-51 James
70somthing MPH Carbon Bird Quadshot

Fill in the speeds or correct them if you remember.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:36 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Robert
Next time we get some big wind, I'll bring out the Thorn. Gota beat 70!

Robert
If we ever get 15 mph over the peak, watch out. I'll bump that speed up and you'll never catch me
RCG Plus Member