HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Discussion
Multifun "upgrade" (with vid.)

The original Multifun I built seemed just a bit toooo light with very little penetration even in the lightest winds.

So I sanded the EPP "slab" tail feathers into more of an airfoil shape, adding some 2mm carbon rod reinforcement; extended the carbon wing spars to the wing tips, then lightly spackled and covered in polyester heat shrink.

Including rebalancing, this took the wing loading from~5oz/sq.ft. up to ~7.5oz/sq.ft.

Re-maidened it (if it's possible to re-maiden something ) today.

The wind was a bit more than expected at around 15 mph.

But as the video shows it penetrates well yet still is lightly loaded- worth the few hours mod. and the covering film was left overs anyway.

http://www.vimeo.com/1150435

If you have registered on Vimeo the quality is better by clicking the url and viewing from their site.

Cliff

(Music by Razorlight)
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Last edited by cliffhanger; Jun 10, 2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Music by:
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:34 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
403 Posts
Hi Cliff,
I was interested to know if a "covering job" on a Multifun would produce results and it's nice to see that someone has taken the plunge.

Looks like it now flies faster and is less affected by gusts - more stable.

Having recently maidened my stock M/F I can confirm it is a different flying experience to my Guppy ( I believe you have a "Le Fish" and can confirm??) - although they are roughly the same size and type of model, the heavier Guppy can retain momentum and perform "Big" manouevres in good air whilst the Multifun can be a precise flyer that can stay up in the lightest of lift days.

Why compromise - Buy both!

BTW, with your covering job (especially with the "new" canopy area) it is now apparent how close the Multifun shape is to my old Chris Foss Phase 6.

Clive.
Clive Henry Jones is offline Find More Posts by Clive Henry Jones
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:25 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Hi Clive- yes it's almost like a different model now.

With that extra energy retention, together with its ~60mm elevators, ailerons~one third the wing chord and large rudder it's a good little 48" aerobat.

Amazed at how well it flies inverted with not much forward pressure, considering that the airfoil is almost flat bottom.

It responds as well to flapperon (4-axis) control as the Wasabi.

Cheap Hitec hs 55 servos and HFS 05 Rx, makes it exc. value for money

Cliff
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:31 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Hey Cliff, almost missed this one, some threads move down the board so fast!

I'm also really glad to find someone who took the plunge with this idea as well. I'm getting really frustrated with my MF: there seems to be a one-quarter-knot difference between not enough lift to keep her up, and overpowering her to the point where she just gets blown backwards. Yesterday I was flying with a group in very light conditions, and was busy struggling to keep her aloft, when a slight gust hit, and she flipped backwards and hit one of the flyers on the noggin.... You can imagine the mental shock he must of got seeing a plane about to hit you, not knowing in that split second whether its a 4 m scale ship or a little foamie like the MF!

So, I think I must definitely try your idea, rather than assigning her to the bin !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Good grief Chris- don't bin 'er!!

Worth the effort of adding some carbon as mentioned, and covering ( no taping involved )

I flew mine today in a 18 mph slightly off slope wind- I reckon 20 mph would be the max. and ~ 12 mph ideal.

Not quite your Miraj, but flies like a different model to the original!

Cliff
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Very nice video, Cliff! Love the smooth transitions and the roll rate. This is the style of flying that I think challenges every aspect of one's creativity. Really enjoyed it...Good music too.

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,591 Posts
Another quality Cliffhanger covering job to boot!

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:09 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Thanks fellas.

N.T.-the secret is to start drinking the beer after you finished, not before you get started (ask me how I know)

Paige-looking fwd. to starting the Suraci build next week.
Can't resist a bit of kit bashing and have got a couple of minor mods. in mind.
If they work out I'll drop a post.

Cliff
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger
Thanks fellas.

N.T.-the secret is to start drinking the beer after you finished, not before you get started (ask me how I know)

Paige-looking fwd. to starting the Suraci build next week.
Can't resist a bit of kit bashing and have got a couple of minor mods. in mind.
If they work out I'll drop a post.

Cliff

Kit bashing never bothers me. If someone can apply their skills and experience to a design and improve its performance...more power to them. I tend to look at this community as an opportunity for collaboration.

I feel that the Axis 50 from FSD incorporates the best of the Suraci with some improvements in a lighter frame. Perhaps some of the improvements I made are similar to the "bashing" ideas you have.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Excellent kit mod Cliff!

Your MF looks like a sweet flyer... very slow and smooth, but still having some energy to play with.

Your inverted/outside skills are looking good!!! Nice flying. I especially liked the spin to loop sequence a the 49 sec mark and the almost tail drag at 1:45. I would like to see some more "pollen level" flying.

And WOW what a beautiful flying site. Can it get any more scenic than that?

Thanks for the Video Cliff... keep 'em coming. I am hoping to post a Warbird video if Vimeo will do its part.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho
Hey Cliff, almost missed this one, some threads move down the board so fast!

I'm also really glad to find someone who took the plunge with this idea as well. I'm getting really frustrated with my MF: there seems to be a one-quarter-knot difference between not enough lift to keep her up, and overpowering her to the point where she just gets blown backwards. Yesterday I was flying with a group in very light conditions, and was busy struggling to keep her aloft, when a slight gust hit, and she flipped backwards and hit one of the flyers on the noggin.... You can imagine the mental shock he must of got seeing a plane about to hit you, not knowing in that split second whether its a 4 m scale ship or a little foamie like the MF!

So, I think I must definitely try your idea, rather than assigning her to the bin !
Chris
My heavens, someone linked to this thread from another forum.

I'd completely forgotten about this incident!

I realise now that it contributed to me being publicly labelled as a "dangerous" flyer here in Ireland, where my flying skills (or supposed lack of them) were ridiculed in a personal attack on a thread on a public forum .

This was just one of those events where I had no control over the gust of wind that came through, and the resultant behaviour of the MultiFun. This little sliver of foam was hardly going to do anyone any harm! But instead of having the courage to have a quiet word to my face (if they thought that I was causing problems), the people concerned waited until an appropriate moment to open fire for the first time on a public forum.. .
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:38 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
What's wrong with that?- It's a well known fact that a raw epp Multifun is a dangerous piece of flying machinery, and that the right way to complain/attack is behind the barriers of a forum

Y're average flyer would have just laughed it off.
There are countless numbers of petty small minded people the world over- guess you just found a couple of them

Cliff
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger
What's wrong with that?- It's a well known fact that a raw epp Multifun is a dangerous piece of flying machinery, and that the right way to complain/attack is behind the barriers of a forum

Y're average flyer would have just laughed it off.
There are countless numbers of petty small minded people the world over- guess you just found a couple of them

Cliff
Lol, you got it spot-on, Cliff!

Problem is, there are so few glider flyers here, that certain tiny fish start imagining they are beeg fish, forgetting how small the pond is... Nemo rules, OK!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:45 AM
East coast of Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
55 Posts
I agree a public forum was perhaps not the place for my comments and do not wish to drag it into this forum.

Just to say, you said yourself and I quote

"I'm deeply aware that my flying at fly-ins has been bad enough at times to get myself labelled as a "hazard", and maybe even be banned from such events"

With regards to the Multifun incident. That little sliver of EPP left the man in question with a black eye. I would imagine he is has put it behind him by now. I'm sure an apology would have helped matters though. As far as I know no direct apology was offered at the time.

Sorry for the off topic post but, I felt it was needed to add a bit of balance to above comments.
thesenator is offline Find More Posts by thesenator
Last edited by thesenator; Oct 23, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:08 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesenator
I agree a public forum was perhaps not the place for my comments and do not wish to drag it into this forum.

Just to say, you said yourself and I quote

"I'm deeply aware that my flying at fly-ins has been bad enough at times to get myself labelled as a "hazard", and maybe even be banned from such events"

With regards to the Multifun incident. That little sliver of EPP left the man in question with a black eye. I would imagine he is has put it behind him by now. I'm sure an apology would have helped matters though. As far as I know no direct apology was offered at the time.

Sorry for the off topic post but, I felt it was needed to add a bit of balance to above comments.
Wrong: a most emphatic apology was immediately given. Please do not publish untruths.

As to my own statement quoted above (from a thread that was not dealing specifically with this incident): I reckon 99% of forum members will agree with the unwritten rule that it is entirely acceptable to denigrate your own skills, but it is wholly unacceptable to attack others flying skills on forums.

I am not the best flyer, as I am still a learner. I was, I think, one of the most enthusiastic slopers out there, I used to live, breathe and eat sloping. Due to where I live, I fly alone 99.9% of the time, so I have very limited experience of flying with others. The only way I can gain such experience is to fly with others, there is no other way. I tend to go a bit to pieces at meetings as a result, and don't fly in the way I know I can. Instead of being encouraged and guided by more experienced pilots I have been subjected to this. Very disillusioning. I wish I knew what the motive was.

Chris
who is not as enthusiastic as he once was