Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:33 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
Build Log
DG600 Prototype(fully moulded)

I'm going to move the build log of this ship from slope to here I think as its will be more interesting to us aussie flyers . I link back to the other page but will close that thread in favour of this one . So to see where I've reached check this link. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873192
Scale: 1: 5. 5
Wing span: 3. 2 m (126")
Wing area: 40 dm2 (620 sq. In. )
Wing airfoil: s 3021
Wing loading: 42 g / dm2 (14 oz / sq. Ft. )
Flying weight: 1. 7 KG (60 oz)

SteveW bringing it back home
PS it would be remiss of me not to mention the fact that this model has been supplied by Andrew at Falcon gliders and once released will be available from him
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jul 28, 2008 at 03:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
This aircraft will represent great bang for the buck to . I'll be getting into a little more detail on the weekend and will post every mod I make to this machine . But the more I study it the less I think needs improving in the way of glass work . yes it does need to be beefed up in the keel and will still stiffen under the cock pit lip and a few strips of tow running along the sides to act as longerons ,and of course the all important compression struts at the wing root . the compression strut idea has been fomulating in mind since first unwrapping the model . I'm considering on the proto type to use 1/8 (3.0mm) Ply lightning holed of course from fuse side to fuse side running across the top of the brass wing joiner tubes for the full chord of the wing root epoxied in place . Perhaps on the released version the Manufacturewr could use 3 tubes glassed in from side to side 1 at the L/edge 1 mid chord between the joiner tubes and one at the T/edge. This would add a lot strength without a weight penalty . However I would like other peoples thoughts on it as well , May be the Ply would be just as good and may be for production purposes easier to install and cheaper to manufacture ?
The whole idea of this aircraft to me at least is value for money sorta like European quality at Chinese prices (it can be done). Well ok Thats where I'm coming from . And this is not a sales pitch far from it this is research into a better mouse trap
and the collective knowledge on this forum is better than any instruction manual.
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 10, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:19 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Georgetown, Newcastle, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
Watchin' with intent
Stuntman is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:33 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
Ok here we go

Ive made a small start this evening.
looking at the structure the glass work is very good although they always have a weak point along the keel . To help this I've layed in some 8oz Carbon tape its 70mm wide and just perfect for this application it runs from the nose back to the wing seating . I also looked at the compression struts and decided that a a 10mm carbon tube forward of the joiner tube would be the way to go .I think that on the production model the same or slightly smaller Dia would be needed on the T/edge,I'll be trying to get some thing back there on this one but not quite sure how to achieve that yet . The ply Idea whislt a good one would be hard to position and glue in adequately. So here a few shots of what happened so far.
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 11, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:31 AM
Joined Oct 2004
927 Posts
Steve,

Just curious if you were to use glass in the keel instead of carbon how much glass would you consider using and if you could access past the brass joiner would you need to extent the reinforcement much further or is the area you covered enough?

I think the carbon is the best choice though as in a production model the extra strength is very obvious to the customer.

Your compression struts are just inside the fuse but there is a tube in the rear for aligning the wings with a rod. What if that rear tube was sleeved inside the fuse with a much thicker carbon tube and reinforced on the inside of the fuse. Would this work as a rear compression strut whist still acting as the rear wing alignment?

During production would kevlar and ply be a better reinforcement in this area? Might be easy for the manufacturer to do during the lay up.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:18 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
Andrew for sure ,it would be a 100% improvement but it would still need a load spreader forward and aft of the those points as the load would only be centred around those joiner points, and the load instead of being spread through the entire chord would be localized around the joiners. perhaps ply ribs layed into the internal area and the use of your idea would be the simple answer . The load would be spread along the whole root section rather than 2 single points on each fuse side. As to the amount of reinforcement just a ply of 8 oz glass along that centre section on the keel back to the t/edge of the wing root would be ample I feel . The basic lay up is very good but the belly pan or keel is always under cooked.
SteveW
P.S just re read the last statement Andrew kevlar and ply would serve the purpose quite well ,even just a ply rib glassed in during layup would add to the strength in the wing root. It would also give a greater gluing surface area for the joiner tubes ,which at the moment even with the amount of splog on them may give way . The Joiner rod is definately to short which worries me but as the wing is moulded and for the purpose of the prototype it will work. Just like the original Osprey Andrew just wont pull to hard on this one in a turn .
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 11, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:21 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
Keeping in mind that many other manufacturers are now keeping away from carbon so that their fuses are 2.4GHz friendly, maybe kevlar would be better in the production version?
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum9
Keeping in mind that many other manufacturers are now keeping away from carbon so that their fuses are 2.4GHz friendly, maybe kevlar would be better in the production version?
Well not quite true yet still a lot of 36mhz flyers around I was goingto use kevlar as I have done in many of my scalies but wanting to keep production cost down and the quality up , so I would suggest that in the production version that the 8oz glass would be more than adequate along the keel area. The fuse in its self is of a very good quality layup .
Really the only problems I can see so far are just those 2 with the fuse ,that being the keel and the wing seating .Thought about your Idea a little more to Andrew ,but think that the joiner tube would be to far back at the L/edge to stop any compression of the wing moving forward in a hardish landing and the forward area would crush . And visa versa at the trailing edge , If they put a rear compression strut in and then the joiner tubes and then the forward compression strut during assembly it should'nt make the process any more difficult tooks me about 40 seconds to fit.
this morning resin is still a little tacky due to moisture in the air but I'm going to warm the fuse this afternoon and do a bit of post curing.
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 11, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
PRODUCTION VERSION MODS : Fuse
1. An extra layer of at least 8oz glass on the keel extending from the nose to the wing trail edge
2. Ply ribs glass sandwiched into wing root
3. Joiner tube encased in glass to form compression struts between fuse sides
4. servo well in fin for elevator connection. this should be Parrallel to the elevator suface and as high in the fin as practical and in the mid span of the fin for ease of connections , and for fairing fittment.
5. Install hinge tube in rudder to accept pivot pin through pivot hinge plates .
6. use wire fishing trace for close loop system for Rudder control.
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 25, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:30 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
Sorry for the slow down but its been a busy weekend, will get stuck into the DG600 this week
SteveW
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:12 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
we are back

Ok did some more work this evening and added the forward bulkheads and servo tray . This tray is big enough to take a standard servo for rudder and a mini for aerotow release if wanted its also where the switch will be mounted , the idea will be for the tray to be screwed to the bearers which have been made from some 1/2"SQ(12.6mm) balsa with 1/16th(1.5mm) Ply glued to the top to hold the screw thread, the the bulk heads and tray are 1/8"th 3.0mm)ply.
That way the RX, battery pack can be located beneath the tray and retained very nicely. The forward area I will create a ballast box for the nose lead .
looking at the flex above the tray of the cokpit sides I think I'll be using some carbon tow to stiffen around the cockpit edge ,I thought that the bulkheads may be enough but still a little light up front in the side area's.
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 16, 2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:54 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Looks nice Steve.

Can I request a no 6 for the production model? EDF pod?
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
I guess you could request it but its up to the manufacturer.
SteveW
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:24 PM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
I should have put a big cheesy smiley face next to that request.

Nice looking bird!
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,137 Posts
well its hard to say these day a lot of people just commit these scale machines to the torture of being motorized . Not my Cup of tea ,but what ever spins their wheels.
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 16, 2008 at 09:02 PM.