HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2003, 03:55 AM
Phuket Island, Thailand
Joined Oct 2002
102 Posts
M-IFO one thing I may have forgotten for my build...

Well the problem is that I am on an Island on the Andaman sea coast of Thailand... Lovely place but damn its hard to get even the most basic of modeling supplies...

I was very graciously helped by Andy Marjama of the mini speed wing (I cant say enough good things about this guy... What a trooper, if anyone is looking for a 24 inch wing and truly exceptional assistance consider him) in assembling all my miltiple US purchases, advising me re-entering the hobby, and figuring out all those incedentals that I may need and would have forgotten...

Well my big box arrived with Li-poly's / chargers / a M-IFO / a MSW / servos / Rx's / plugs / cables / etc and I have that kid at Christmas grin...

Going over the M-IFO instructions there are a few references to CA accelerator to be used on all CA joints... Does this do only what it sounds like and can I get away without it ?? Can I carefully build giving it adequate drying time without it ??

If not I guess hoping that anything that is common in the home can make an adequate substitute is too much to ask ???
Phat Phreddy is offline Find More Posts by Phat Phreddy
Last edited by Phat Phreddy; Jan 23, 2003 at 03:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2003, 06:44 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
You can do without the accellerator, but your hands wull get tired

I used accellerator on about 2/3 of the joints while building mine. I switched to thin CA, and didn't need it on many of the joints. Just use a couple coats, instead.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 23, 2003, 07:15 AM
Phuket Island, Thailand
Joined Oct 2002
102 Posts
I have thick and thin CA... this may sound dumb but how much acceleration can CA have... Is the fix not instant (I have not built anything in 10 years) it sure seemed damn instant when I stick my fingers together ??

I dont suppose there is any common garden substitute I may pick up in a hardware store is there ??
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:15 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I built my first regular IFO with no accelerator. Just bind the joints togther, then hold them there with pins or fingers and put the thick CA on them. It'll take a couple of minutes to harden, but it's not that bad.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:24 AM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
I use thick CA with the accelerator on the mini--I have more important things to do than to watch glue dry.
Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:38 AM
Phuket Island, Thailand
Joined Oct 2002
102 Posts
Well it turns out I need to go up to Bangkok anyway tommorow and will be there for a few days at least... I had hoped to build over the weekend but I will trawl the web to see if I cant find a model supply store and look up some CA accelerator...
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:09 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nowell York
I have more important things to do than to watch glue dry.

I agree
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Jan 23, 2003, 04:56 PM
Lompoc, CA
Joined Jan 2003
52 Posts
baking soda will accomplish the same task and also act as a filler
lompocgreg is offline Find More Posts by lompocgreg