HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Question
A perfect lunch-hour flyer?

Howdy fellow flyers,

I'm on a quest to find the perfect "lunch-hour" flyer! I'm wondering what the rest of you are packing in the trunk of your car and sneaking out to fly during your lunch break?

My ideal plane would be bigger than a micro (i.e. Parkzone Cessna), but small enough to fit in trunk (i.e. smaller than an EasyStar). It would also need to be big enough to handle a gentle breeze (5 to 7mph), and would be at least 3ch (preferably 4ch and no thrust vectoring). I'm not too concerned about a sporty/aerobatic performer, but some gentle manuevers would be nice! Lastly, my flying space at lunch time is about the same size as a soccer field - so not very big.

I've got an EasyStar (a sweet plane), but it's a little too big for a soccer field. The HZ SuperCub is also nice, but just a tad too big.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmpls
Howdy fellow flyers,

I'm on a quest to find the perfect "lunch-hour" flyer! I'm wondering what the rest of you are packing in the trunk of your car and sneaking out to fly during your lunch break?

My ideal plane would be bigger than a micro (i.e. Parkzone Cessna), but small enough to fit in trunk (i.e. smaller than an EasyStar). It would also need to be big enough to handle a gentle breeze (5 to 7mph), and would be at least 3ch (preferably 4ch and no thrust vectoring). I'm not too concerned about a sporty/aerobatic performer, but some gentle manuevers would be nice! Lastly, my flying space at lunch time is about the same size as a soccer field - so not very big.

I've got an EasyStar (a sweet plane), but it's a little too big for a soccer field. The HZ SuperCub is also nice, but just a tad too big.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Superfly or Hyperflea is perfect to fit in your trunk. Stay with a 2S battery and the soccer field would be bigger than you need. Check out the flying video on their site.

Go to video #3
http://www.superflyrc.com/SuperFly/s...y%20movies.htm
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:39 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
YardBird RC YB-22... pusher jet... flysfast or slow, can handle 10 mph winds fits inthe trunk, cheap, easy to repair and can be built in 2 hours... and slower her down and you can flyer her in about 1/2 the soccer field....

www.2dogrc.com

I fly mine on a 3s 1320 or 3s 1500, a friend flys his on a 3s 2100....
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 09, 2008, 04:14 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
micro telemaster (highly recommended); stevens aero diddlebug/diddlerod; tiny tiger moth from powerline hobbies.
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jun 09, 2008, 04:43 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Mountain Models Dandy Sport, Switchback Sport or EZ Scout. The latter is now my keep-it-in-the-car plane, displacing the Dandy Sport that lived there for over three years. If the surface where you fly is suitable for a tricycle geared airplane, then their Tyro would also be worth a look, though I don't have personal experience with that one yet (kit on hand).

Alternatively, if you have access to fanfold foam or 6mm Depron, several variations on the "Blu-Baby" as much discussed in the foamies-scratchbuilt forum are worth a look. I'm finding the original 33 incher with the undercambered wing (three channels) to be a very relaxing flyer in a small space and with 50 watts or so of cheap brushless power amazingly aerobatic. It can also handle more wind than such a lightly loaded undercambered wing would be expected to. Both it and the EZ Scout are riding around with me these days.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 09, 2008, 06:08 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Flat foam sport or 3D model. You can always adjust for less throw on the controls if you want it tamer. I like the E-Flite Funtana, or Sobre. Or build one yourself. I fly my Funtana in some wind without a problem.
I also have a Cox micro Warbird living in my trunk, but they are getting hard to come by.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Jun 09, 2008, 07:33 PM
Kennesaw, GA
Joined Jan 2008
53 Posts
Mine has always been My trusty PZ Decathlon. But if I had to replace it I would get a PZ Cub BL
nytestalker is offline Find More Posts by nytestalker
Old Jun 09, 2008, 08:40 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,388 Posts
FunJet! Made of epp, durable & fast.
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jun 09, 2008, 08:49 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
GWS J3 Cub with 800 mah lipo. Here is one flying in a parking lot...
GWS J3 Cub (1 min 44 sec)

This cub is a much lighter and more agile than the Super cub..the one in this video is 10oz with a small lipo. 40'' ws can loop or fly inverted or hover with the rite prop..this one has a 300\370 motor with "B" ratio simple prop change and it goes from a floater to a plane that can hover. Very versatile and lite weight airframe for its size. Use a 8.60 to got fast..a 9.47 for best all around flying and a 10.47 for slow power flights.
modfly is online now Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 09, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:32 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,113 Posts
The one thing that concerns me about the concept of a "keep it in the car" plane is heat. The inside of a car on a sunny day can get really hot. Not an ideal environment for coverings and batteries....
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:35 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Yea..thats why I like that 800mah lipo..very small fits in the pocket. Leave it in the desk until flight time.
modfly is online now Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jun 09, 2008, 10:49 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Lately, I've been having alot of fun with the Sumo, a scratch build foamy. Flies in a very smalls space, blucor works great for the build, cheap gear, perfect for in the car. Mines 22" so its very portable, durable too!

Might be one to consider.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Jun 09, 2008, 10:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
I'd go with my trusty little Hobby Lobby YAK55/400XT outrunner combo ($40 for both when on sale). It can fly anywhere, hand launch, drop it down on a small patch of grass or weeds, etc. On low throws, flies like a sport plane... on high throws full 3D. Probably the most fun for the least cost of any plane I've built.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:29 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
FunJet! Made of epp, durable & fast.
Mike,

He said his flying site is a soccer field. Funjets are bit fast to fly in a soccer field.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:59 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
Get a GWS Tiger Moth! It's small and cute and has practically attained cult status in RC Groups
Sunfire is offline Find More Posts by Sunfire