SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2008, 04:52 AM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Discussion
PLEASE NEED HELP!! trying to use a 3850kv brushless outrunner motor smells HELP!!!!!!

oK so here is the setup i have
Trying to put a TP 2415-07T Brushless Heli Motor 3850kv on my wild wing http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6262
and using a 60amp ESC here http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2166
i hook up everything i hear the motor beep as if its ready to run, the power is up , the servos work fine, but when i throttle up, the motor jitters, i have a video of this please take a look here
Im using a 2200Mha 11v battery thats brand new...........
why does the motor smell weird, does not smell like its burnt, as it still spins in a weird fashion, but never the less, everything works but the motor just seems to not have enough power, also the wires get really hot from motor to esc, the ESC should have enough power to power up the motor as its a 60amp UBEC, or am i wrong?
please any help from a pro would be great thanks

PS: Im using digital servos with metal gears and 6200DSM2 for my receiver and spectrum DX6i for my transmitter.

For what i know, this motor is a 3850kv which should take my wild wing to a max 100mph, is this a ESC error im having, is my ESC not generating enough amps for my motor? Is my battery not generating not enough power?

again, after runnin this motor for the first time, it has this weird smell, does not seem like a burnt as if it was, the motor would stop juttering, so its not burnet so i think.........

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
Last edited by littlephoenix; Jun 09, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2008, 05:25 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,998 Posts
You don't tell us the most important thing, which is what prop you're using and/or what amps the motor is drawing

The smell you're smelling is probably burning insulation on the motor windings, and it may already have caused some windings to short, which would explain why its jittering when you try to start, and why the wires from the ESC get hot.

With a high kv like that, the motor is probably best suited to a ducted fan rather than a direct-drive prop.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 09, 2008, 08:18 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,397 Posts
Are you barely giving it throttle, it sounds/looks like it. Try giving it about 1/4 throttle and see what happens. Make sure you hold on to it better when you do.

I have had problems in the past trying to turn on a motor with small throttle movement.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jun 09, 2008, 08:54 AM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
I bet your mounting screws are too long. they are shorting the windings. take the screws out to test this theory.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Jun 09, 2008, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
well the prop im using is 5.5 gunther but this is not a prop issue, as even without the prop it does this, also i tried full throttle and still the same thing, but i have a feeling dmiller might be right as the screw i purchased is a little longer then the one it came with, so might be the issue, let me remove it and try it again, thanks everyone for your support, will come back to let you know if it was the long screws.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller746
I bet your mounting screws are too long. they are shorting the windings. take the screws out to test this theory.
your a genius, it was the long screws, wow who would of thunk, thanks so much for the help, its spinnin like a rocket now.
one more question, when i full throttle, the power cuts off, why?
Do i need to program the esc or is there a problem with the motor.
thanks again for the help
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:10 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
My guess is it's hitting LVC, that's a pretty large prop for a motor with a 3850 kv.

You really need a wattmeter to check your amp draw.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
My guess is it's hitting LVC, that's a pretty large prop for a motor with a 3850 kv.

You really need a wattmeter to check your amp draw.
hmm how about if i use a 475,475 prop, ive read on other posts that motors like this can easily use 5x5, but im not sure myself, would this have to do with teh ESC's cuttoff mode or cutoff threshold? would i have to make changes to these?
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:32 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
LVC is when the battery voltage drops under load to a value set in the ESC. On a 3S lipo, the common value is 3v/cell or 9v. So if your LVC is set to 3v/cell and is cutting out at full throttle, this means your battery is dropping to less than 3v/cell under load. You can set the LVC to less than 3v/cell, but risk damaging your battery. You can try the smaller prop and see if the problem goes away, but if that prop is also drawing so many amps that the battery cannot deliver, then it will also hit LVC and you won't know any more than you did before.

There is no way of knowing this unless you have a wattmeter to measure the amp draw and voltage under load.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
LVC is when the battery voltage drops under load to a value set in the ESC. On a 3S lipo, the common value is 3v/cell or 9v. So if your LVC is set to 3v/cell and is cutting out at full throttle, this means your battery is dropping to less than 3v/cell under load. You can set the LVC to less than 3v/cell, but risk damaging your battery. You can try the smaller prop and see if the problem goes away, but if that prop is also drawing so many amps that the battery cannot deliver, then it will also hit LVC and you won't know any more than you did before.

There is no way of knowing this unless you have a wattmeter to measure the amp draw and voltage under load.
very cool, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation, i will have to purchase a wattmeter and see what happens, but i guess ill keep the throttle half way for now, thanks so much