HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2008, 07:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
70 Posts
Discussion
What radio is the best for FPV JR or Futaba

I am a bit confuesed because i have a 7 channel multiplex cockpit sx, but i havent got a clue how to use more than 5 channels. I am looking for a new radio and I dont know what to buy. Futaba FF10 or a JR radio. I hope you all have a good advice for me. Is 2,4 GHZ a good choice if I use a 2,4 GHZ video TX?

I want to use a headtracking system in the future and i need at least two more channels for an extenal joystick until i have enough money for a HT.
Markus05 is offline Find More Posts by Markus05
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2008, 07:52 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,121 Posts
Do not use 2.4ghz RX Control with 2.4ghz Video
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
76 Posts
After investing in JR equipment for a while, I've had to switch to Futaba for my FPV project. Simple reason is the headtracking requirement: Futaba radios allow selective assignment of channels to the trainer port, JR radios do not (or at least, none of the affordable JR transmitters do). Most (all?) of the headtrackers I seen typically also come with Futaba connectors as standard from what I can tell.
NickDV is offline Find More Posts by NickDV
Old Jun 08, 2008, 12:15 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
I'll use this threaf if you dont mind to arise also this cuestion - if using 900 mhz video tx/rx, what radio is better, 35/40/72mhz or 2.4 Ghz?

I myself use Futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz and i get serious glitches somehow if i dont turn my video tx first and then radio, if i turn radio firs and then video tx my rudder servo slowly drifts to the end point and stays there...
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,274 Posts
Nick, from what I read the headtrackers are a headache )
Why not simply use pan only, tilt is not that useful, imo.
And command the pan with any of available channels equiped with a pot.
Advantage: you don't need to turn head left if you want to permanently look left long time for a reason
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:32 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
My simple "ReelHT" mechanical head tracker has been extremely reliable, and it
can be made to work with any Tx that has two available pots
that can be set up to drive two channels exclusively. That's
really the only criteria you need when choosing a Tx, if you want
full pan and tilt. My trainer port is completely open. In fact, I just
purchased a buddy box, so that if a passenger (other R/C pilots)
wants to drive the goggles and headtracker, they can fly the plane as
well, while I stay ready to take over. (I've found that me flying visually
while the passenger looks around, usually results in them get nauseous
even when I fly very smoothly)

But yes, if you want to use the off-the-shelf head trackers,
Futaba is still the de-facto standard.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 09, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 01:35 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Renatoa: Using a head tracker is much more immersive. Sure a knob on the transmitter will pan the camera just the same. But it doesn't "feel" the same. You feel much more a part of the plane when your head movements are duplicated precisely by the camera. You really fell like you're IN the plane!

BTW, I agree that pan is most important. But tilt is also nice to have. When banked in turns, you can pan to the side and tilt up to see the horizon in the direction you are turning. Without tilt, you are looking at the ground. Also in level flight, using tilt allows you to get a better idea of your exact ground location. Or just to see other things on the ground easier.

Yes, there are some issues with some of the head trackers out there. But in the end, it's worth it.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:33 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDV
After investing in JR equipment for a while, I've had to switch to Futaba for my FPV project. Simple reason is the headtracking requirement: Futaba radios allow selective assignment of channels to the trainer port, JR radios do not (or at least, none of the affordable JR transmitters do). Most (all?) of the headtrackers I seen typically also come with Futaba connectors as standard from what I can tell.
Hi Nick,
After much heartfelt soul searching I too feel the only simple way to achieve HT is to bite the bullet, dump JR and go with Futaba as a pragmatic approach.
This is still a little way off for me, as I still have lots to achieve before I kiss off the JR system. I would like to try a cheap second hand Futaba TX to try out HT. I dont know much about Futaba other than my very first R/C was a Futaba 2ch waaay back in 1972. Which tx did you buy that works with HT and which tracker did you buy?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jun 09, 2008, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2006
76 Posts
I got the Futaba 7C - I reckon it's the cheapest reasonably-featured Futuba I could get away with (the 9 was a out of my price range, and the 6 was a bit low on features). My biggest gripe are the Futaba PCM receivers - a full-range one costs about twice as much as a JR equivalent in the UK I'm planning to use the DragonOSD (delivered last week, thanks Mark! ), so I'll need the failsafe features of a PCM receiver to use the autopilot.

As for headtrackers, I have the option of using the one built into my Z800 goggles (which requires a laptop and additional hardware/software to interface to the tx) or getting a TrackR2 (which seems the easier option).
NickDV is offline Find More Posts by NickDV
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,274 Posts
What about Hitec Eclipse 7 ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:23 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Well yes the Futaba is most easiest for developers to hack to make fun stuff work, but just a tip here.... Daniel Wee of Intelligent Flight has completed his head tracker that is reported to be far more stable than any other head tracker on the market... (the first beta batch are in Mark's hands now but been busy shipping goods to all those patient people. ) with a little friendship aid from the original head tracker inventor, Kilrah of RC-TECH. Apparently no drift on all axis and we do not have to face North. Now I do know this for sure... Daniel is a JR guy. Actually he doesn't even own a Futaba TX yet. Anyhow their long range link should be just about ready as well and again... works for Futaba for sure and maybe JR.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:36 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDV
I got the Futaba 7C - I reckon it's the cheapest reasonably-featured Futuba I could get away with (the 9 was a out of my price range, and the 6 was a bit low on features). My biggest gripe are the Futaba PCM receivers - a full-range one costs about twice as much as a JR equivalent in the UK I'm planning to use the DragonOSD (delivered last week, thanks Mark! ), so I'll need the failsafe features of a PCM receiver to use the autopilot.

As for headtrackers, I have the option of using the one built into my Z800 goggles (which requires a laptop and additional hardware/software to interface to the tx) or getting a TrackR2 (which seems the easier option).
I use the Berg 7 for my FPV airplanes. It's much lighter than the Futaba receivers, and you can set it up for failsafe to enable the Dragon upon signal loss.
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
I use the Berg 7 for my FPV airplanes. It's much lighter than the Futaba receivers, and you can set it up for failsafe to enable the Dragon upon signal loss.
Hey Rob!

I always was curious about the Bergs, since I've read a few issues on their range. If I hear more good than negative on them I too would like to try out those amazingly tiny RX! Would you consider it far superior to a Futaba?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:36 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I've had a crash with the 7P. So has my buddy. I don't trust it anymore to long range flight. I've finally decided either PCM or 2.4GHz is the way to go.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:51 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
I'm really glad I found these forums before I started spending money!
I think I did good by buying a Futaba T9CAP with synth module and a R319DPS PCM Rx. I hope Daniel's HT is a plug-and-play solution with my Tx...
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310