HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2008, 05:30 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
579 Posts
Discussion
Sixty four years ago today...D Day.

Anyone else here have relatives who were involved?

My Father landed at Juno Beach, was wounded but managed to stay in the fight. "A bad bit of business" is how he described the landing.

T.D.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/photogalleries/dday/index.html
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 05:48 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
I have an uncle who made the landing as a medic. Apparently because he pissed off his boss, and they needed to send someone.

There's a fictionalized account of his experience in his book: And Youth Was Gone.

If you like that, his book Civil War Sergeant (link) is even better.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jun 06, 2008, 06:37 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
My uncle was there. He would never, ever talk about it. He died in the late 1970's, when I was an enlisted AF Weather Observer in central NY.

In 1990, my wife and I got to visit Omaha and Utah beaches, whilst I was assigned to an airbase in Germany. That's when I understood why he didn't want to talk about it. I'm truly sorry I wasn't able to show him our pictures of the beaches and, even more so, of the smiling Norman French who still like Americans (much more so than the rest of the French).

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 06, 2008, 06:39 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,446 Posts
my grandfather was wounded before it went down. stopped to pick up rations that someone else dropped after they got hit...

my other grandfather was a conscientious objector and got to empty bedpans for the duration of the war.

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 06, 2008, 08:08 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
My father and an uncle. My uncle, along with eleven others, was later captured in the Ardennes where the Germans lined them up in a ditch, and cut them all down with a machine gun. Rest of the family was in the Pacific.
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Jun 07, 2008, 03:05 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
My late father landed on Juno in the afternoon, driving an ambulance off an LST. It was only a few weeks before he passed away that he told me of having to drive off the ramp into shallow water, red from the blood of his fellow Canadian soldiers, whose bodies were floating all around him. He broke down while relating that much, and wouldn't say any more about that day. I hope his resting place in a military cemetary, among his comrades, is now peaceful.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
My dad's outfit, 216th FA, 35th Infantry division landed on July 5, which was I expect a walk in the park, with the nifty floating dock thing they built. He drove a 6x6 for delivering ammo to the artillery, so I imagine he drove that bit old thing right onto the beach. I think they first saw action at St. Lo. My uncle, my dad's brother was in a tank, not sure which outfit he was in, or when they landed. The two brothers met up a couple times during the war.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jun 07, 2008, 07:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,411 Posts
Slightly off topic by a war, but yesterday on the UK TV news, Britain's oldest man and a WWI veteran, celebrated his 112th birthday.

Link - WWI veteran

"Henry Allingham is also the last surviving original member of the Royal Air Force - formed 90 years ago."

My thanks go out to those who died, and those still alive, who fought trying to protect us and others.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 07, 2008, 09:39 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Jul 11, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 10:06 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Thanks to all of those who served, to all of those who fell and to all of those who lost loved ones on that June day 64 years ago.

My late father-in-law was one of the "D-Day Dodgers", so on 6/6/44 he was in Italy.

This is the page from his diary for that day- it simply says "2nd front started today" - it was partway through what was his fifth year at war overseas, from North Africa, to Burma, to Italy.

He once told me that he knew that the end was near when he saw the massed ranks of Flying Fortresses heading up the spine of Italy.

They were remarkeable men and women, for sure.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:19 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Interesting Leccy, according to the diary a full moon. I have heard a lot about the weather influencing the date of the invasion, but not of the moon's phase. I wonder how that was discussed as to its significance. Seems the light would aid the paratroopers, but allow them to be more easily seen as well.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:25 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
The moon was probably more important for navigation by the ships and landing craft, avoiding the beach defences etc. That's why the first wave went in not long after low tide- so they could see the obstacles and defences, even though it made for a wider beach to cross.

Also- since the invasion was postponed because of weather, it wasn't originally planned for the full moon anyway, just with sufficient moonlight to see.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 07, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
I had an second-uncle (grandmother's little brother) who went ashore on D-Day. He ended up getting killed in April of 45. I'm not sure on the details of how he died, but it must have been a fairly significant sacrifice for my grandmother has a certificate from the government saying they renamed a lake in Northern Manitoba for him.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer