HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:44 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,074 Posts
moved
schumixmd is offline Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by schumixmd; Sep 19, 2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: moved to right thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
I'm having a problem with the altimeter. I place the plane on the ground, it flashes the last "altitude" and then I pick it up... now it's reading that the plane is 172 feet higher than it was on the ground...

I stand 5' 9" tall, so i'm failing to see how that could be 172 feet above ground level...
n2ocharged is offline Find More Posts by n2ocharged
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:08 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,074 Posts
altimeter is flashing higher altitude of your last flight. I will not flash your current altitude never. If you'll power off then trigger of maximum altitude will be reset, when you power on the altimeter, it will display the max altitude of your last flight again but after you will gain 60feet from your current altitude then it will start to display your new max altitude.

are you sure you are reading it correctly?

thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
altimeter is flashing higher altitude of your last flight. I will not flash your current altitude never. If you'll power off then trigger of maximum altitude will be reset, when you power on the altimeter, it will display the max altitude of your last flight again but after you will gain 60feet from your current altitude then it will start to display your new max altitude.

are you sure you are reading it correctly?

thanks
I'm sure I was reading it correctly... I did it a couple of times to make sure I was doing it correct... one flight said I was 2500+ feet, I powered down, when i plugged power back in, it read the last altitude, and that's when I picked it up (See my previous post)...
n2ocharged is offline Find More Posts by n2ocharged
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
n2ocharged,
Quote:
I'm having a problem with the altimeter. I place the plane on the ground, it flashes the last "altitude" and then I pick it up... now it's reading that the plane is 172 feet higher than it was on the ground...
Unfortunately, I think the pressure sensor has been damaged on the altimeter. I think you'll need to return it to your dealer, or open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com for replacement.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined May 2011
24 Posts
Compatibility

Hi,

Are both the Standalone Altimeter V4 and the Speed sensor V3 going to give me in flight readings on my LoggerV4/OSD Pro combo?

Alan
alan.powell is offline Find More Posts by alan.powell
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Alan,

Yes, they will.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,672 Posts
Hope this question isn't too far astray.....

Not having one in hand to gauge by, I can't figure something out so asking -- what's the best way of setting up a method of moving the airspeed system from plane to plane?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,074 Posts
I would make an mount that will fix both, pitot and sensor, as a single component. On the plane I would use some kind of velcro or something like that, to fix it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
806 Posts
Altimeter V3 Problem

Hello,

I have a V3 Altimeter that I am trying to hook up to my eLogger V3 and my OSD Pro Module. I have the Altimeter hooked to the daisy chain end of the OSD Module and when I go to "Firmware Control" to update its firmware, it is not being recognized. The computer is only seeing the eLogger and the OSD. It is getting power from the OSD and it does provide reading during flight, but they are not accurate readings.
I have a second V3 Altimeter that I also tried, (thinking that the first one might be bad), but it will not recognize that one either. I have updated the firmware in both the eLogger & the OSD, but still it will not see the V3 Altimeter.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,036 Posts
Altimeter v3's are not firmware upgradable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Hello,

I have a V3 Altimeter that I am trying to hook up to my eLogger V3 and my OSD Pro Module. I have the Altimeter hooked to the daisy chain end of the OSD Module and when I go to "Firmware Control" to update its firmware, it is not being recognized. The computer is only seeing the eLogger and the OSD. It is getting power from the OSD and it does provide reading during flight, but they are not accurate readings.
I have a second V3 Altimeter that I also tried, (thinking that the first one might be bad), but it will not recognize that one either. I have updated the firmware in both the eLogger & the OSD, but still it will not see the V3 Altimeter.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tom
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
Altimeter v3's are not firmware upgradable.
Thanks for your response.
Are there any tricks to get the altimeter sensor to be at least close to accurate?
If not, does the V4 version work better & more accurately in determining altitude?

I'm new to the Eagle Tree OSD system and so far have been very disappointed with the support from Eagle Tree Systems. They have extremely limited hours for phone support and during those hours nobody will answer the phone. Dozens of calls over the past week or two have all gone to voicemail and the messages I've left have gone unanswered. I'm still waiting for a response to the emails I've sent to them.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi tkeeg,

First, sorry you have had trouble getting in touch with us! The last couple of weeks we've had a very high number of support calls, as well as the other Christmas craziness, and phone support has suffered a bit, though we've remained mostly caught up on web tickets.

I've looked into your issue, and it looks like you opened a web ticket with us on the 19th, but that had ".met" instead of ".net" as the suffix your email address. We responded to your ticket on the 20th, but the response bounced, as it had the wrong suffix. We noticed this today and have now responded to your ticket after correcting the email address.

Please let me know if I can help further!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi tkeeg,

First, sorry you have had trouble getting in touch with us! The last couple of weeks we've had a very high number of support calls, as well as the other Christmas craziness, and phone support has suffered a bit, though we've remained mostly caught up on web tickets.

I've looked into your issue, and it looks like you opened a web ticket with us on the 19th, but that had ".met" instead of ".net" as the suffix your email address. We responded to your ticket on the 20th, but the response bounced, as it had the wrong suffix. We noticed this today and have now responded to your ticket after correcting the email address.

Please let me know if I can help further!
Thank you for your response.
In regard to the Altimeter V3, I now know that I had it hooked up correctly and am amazed at how inaccurate the readings are most of the time. Is the V4 version significantly better in terms of giving accurate readings & if so why? Your advertisement says that the V4 Altimeter is accurate to within 1 foot, whereas my V3 module has been off by up to 50 ft or so on most flights. Why is that?
Thanks,
Tom
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Tom,

The altimeter v4's sensor is much more advanced than the V3's sensor, in terms of resolution and temperature compensation. That said, 50' seems more than typical variation with the V3. Is there a lot of temperature variation during the flight (moved from a warm car to cold environment without time to adjust?). Also, one thing to note is that variation in barometric pressure will cause readings to change over time, with large variations occuring when the weather is changing.
Site Sponsor