Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Speed ​​variation

This is my first post in this forum. I hope excuse the translation with google translator.

I have a problem for 2 weeks. My airspeed in the absence of wind (inside my house) indicates a value of 2 km/h to 8km/h.

2 weeks ago down when the plane was on the ground without air was 0km/h.

What could have happened?
Pere_gs is online now Find More Posts by Pere_gs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, with what ET equipment are you displaying the airspeed?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
8 Posts
Power problem with Altimeter V3 connected

Hi,
When I have my altimeter (v3) connected (anywhere in the daisy chain from datalogger > OSD > LCD) it causes the LCD screen to dim when the numeric display on the altimeter lights up. The displayed battery voltage also starts to fluctuate excessively (up to +- 2volts on a 3S LiPo). Checking the battery voltage with a multimeter it is solid on 12.0V. When I remove the altimeter from the chain the LCD shows a solid battery voltage of 12.0 (+-0.01V).

I'm running the ET logger (v3), GPS (v4), OSD Pro and LCD as well as a KKmulticopter controller from a HK Plush 40A ESC BEC. It should have a 3A BEC which I would have thought would be enough to power all this? Have I miscalculated?

I can post a video if this is not making sense...

Cheers
Ross
roscoaus is offline Find More Posts by roscoaus
Old May 14, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi, with what ET equipment are you displaying the airspeed?
My ET equipment is the eLogger V4, OSD Pro, GPS-V4, Altimeter-V4, Airspeed-V4, micro-temperature in temp1, and Rssi in temp2.
The airspeed worked fine tree weeks ago.

Thanks,
Pere
Pere_gs is online now Find More Posts by Pere_gs
Old May 15, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Will the altimeter work being in a seal container?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old May 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Ross, with the eLogger V3, and that list of equipment, you probably need to use the battery backup harness that should have been included with the V3.

freshment, if the container is completely sealed, it won't work.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
I received my altimeter today and tried it out this evening. I just have one question I want to make sure is clear - when I turn it on/plug in the battery, does that read your altitude from where you turned it on? For instance, I turned my electric glider on and flew and it read 702. Is that 702 feet from where I turned it on or from sea level?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I turned my electric glider on and flew and it read 702. Is that 702 feet from where I turned it on or from sea level?
This must be at Your local ground (powered on) level.
The barometric altitude measurement works only on diff. There is no absolute and fixed "ground pressure" on Your site - and also no fixed pressure for "sea level".
Yes, there is some *average* pressures, but they vary - and if You power on the altimeter, and left it on the table for hour, then You can also read some altitude on it
cuprum is offline Find More Posts by cuprum
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuprum View Post
This must be at Your local ground (powered on) level.
The barometric altitude measurement works only on diff. There is no absolute and fixed "ground pressure" on Your site - and also no fixed pressure for "sea level".
Yes, there is some *average* pressures, but they vary - and if You power on the altimeter, and left it on the table for hour, then You can also read some altitude on it

Uh, I'm still not clear on this. But I think you mean the altimeter told me I was 701 above my ground level.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
349 Posts
That is correct...the reading is "above ground level". It will always flash the 701 until your next flight that's above 60 feet, then it resets itself so to speak and reports your next flights highest altitude.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Uh, I'm still not clear on this. But I think you mean the altimeter told me I was 701 above my ground level.
Yep. Very shortly... The baro-altimeter alone can't tell You other numbers, than a difference from "zero point".
cuprum is offline Find More Posts by cuprum
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Free Falling
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
I'm curious what most people are doing to power the altimeter sensor in standalone mode...

Are you using up a spare RX channel or using some type of battery. If a battery, which type are most using? Does using the RX channel add much drain to the main battery.. I'd imagine not?

I'm down to one free RX on my 6 channel micro receiver.. overtime i may need at least 2-3 more I think.

Thanks
markm75 is offline Find More Posts by markm75
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I'm curious what most people are doing to power the altimeter sensor in standalone mode...

Are you using up a spare RX channel or using some type of battery. If a battery, which type are most using? Does using the RX channel add much drain to the main battery.. I'd imagine not?

I'm down to one free RX on my 6 channel micro receiver.. overtime i may need at least 2-3 more I think.

Thanks
Use a Y lead to power from a Receiver channel thereby leaving you full access to that channel for another servo or airspeed sensor or whatever.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
On the Airspeed V3, my darling "other" who is a pilot and I are having moments!
He says its temperature compensated but not altitude compensated so in order to get a true airspeed if your flying your rc plane say at 5,000 ft msl, you would need to add some to the value shown in the display.
He says on his"plane" what his IAS says at sea level changes and becomes greater as we climb. Meaning if we indicated 150 mph @ 7,500 feet, its a true airspeed of 165 mph or so.
So, is the V3 airspeed altitude compensated?
Thank you sweetie!
Queenbee is offline Find More Posts by Queenbee
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,345 Posts
Queennette,

if you could "undo" the temperature correction then you could do a normal ICET to get true airspeed. So if the conversion methds was known, it could be reversed to get the uncorrected value.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave