HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Just looking over the V4 Altimeter and was wondering about its time response. In otherwords, to get the 1 foot resolution, how fast does the sensor respond to altitude changes? I am not talking about the data recording rate, that is fine, but if the sensor value is from the previous second in time, then that would be a problem.

My application is a bit specific ----I fly control line planes where the maneuvering is abrupt, and the altitude varies between 3 to about 65-70 feet max. I try to correlate the altitude to power levels into the engine (and rpm) and so was a little worried that there might be a delay (due to averaging or filtering in the sensor itself. This would make it hard to compare two different readings. The time scales that interest me are in the 0.1 to 0.2 second range, where I would expect the altitude to change by values in the 1 to 3 foot range.

Thanks...Also interested in the new 3 Axis accelerometer for the same application, and have similar questions about its time response.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi Alan,

There should be no issue with both sensors detecting those changes in a 0.1 second interval. They also have updateable firmware (with eLogger), so so let me know if they not working as desired.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
541 Posts
Hi,

I have the airspeed sensor, and i was wondering whether it should need correction for altitude.
It looks like it already has some kind of temperature correction, but what about altitude? I'm up to 800 to 1000 m high at home so the air density is quite different from sea level.
Furthermore, what is the real accuracy of this sensor? +/- 1 km/h? 2 km/h? ...

Guillaume
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
3rd party mode for Altimeter v4

Hi Bill, I recently bought an Altimeter v3 and was able to read the data off of it via i2c interface with an Arduino board using the code posted by turnale and nakki5...it was not in 3rd party mode, but I was able to figure out the scaling parameters to convert the raw data to height in feet.

I have since upgraded to the altimeter v4, and now the same code does not seem to work (no bytes are available to be read from the sensor). Any idea why it would work with the v3 but not the v4? (I requested the v4 be put in 3rd party mode when I ordered it, but it's not clear from the documentation whether that's even an option on the v4).

Thanks for any help...

...got it resolved thanks!
dhertzog is offline Find More Posts by dhertzog
Last edited by dhertzog; Aug 08, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: resolved
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:11 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
364 Posts
Bill, how long is the wire that goes from the altimeter to the receiver. I have a Radian Pro and I'm trying to figure out where to put your device and how much wire I need to go to the receiver. Can a servo extension wire be used if yours is to short?
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
I just measured my wire and it came in at around 5 1/2 inches.

Also, it's a 4 pin wire so a standard 3 pin servo extension isn't going to work.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
364 Posts
Thanks Stone...but I thought the wire for the standalone altimeter plug directly into your receiver. Maybe I have to go back and re-read the ad. I know the wire going into the logger was 4 wire but I assumed the one going into my Spektrum receiver was only three. Thanks for your time on this question.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
I've got my altimeter plugged into my OSD Pro so I'm only familiar with that setup. There might be another way to do it.

-Mike

Edit...

You're right! You can use a 2 pin converter cable that only supplies power to the unit and that plugs into your Rx. Take a look at the manuals here:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/manuals.htm
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Last edited by Stone1295; Aug 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Rx setup
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Hi Bill,
just a question, I have an OSDpro on my sailplane, and I would like to use this barometer to detect if I'm on a thermal. Now that you have increased the accuracy, and since I use meters as a unit, can I read full accuracy of the sensor? meaning for example 5.6m and not just integer numbers?
2. The speed is also important, how fast will I see the data on the screen is also important, so what is the delay between the the actual sensing and the updating the value on the OSD?
Thanks
Sp1k3
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
I just brought the Altimeter sensor and the reading dont seem right.. maybe its the place i was at.. how do i resset it
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Hi, there is no need (or way) to reset it. Can you give more info about the issue you are seeing?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Does the sensor read from sea level? Or when I plug it in it zero out depending where I am at?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
364 Posts
After you plug the battery in it displays the last altitude that it registered. Then it starts registering again once your aircraft had reached 60 feet. It is not registering above sea level, just the altitude from your starting point.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:14 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok sorry for chiming in so late
is eagle tree making the spektrum airspeed sensor??
Since I dont want to buy 29837923879 airspeed sensors. can I at least buy the pitot tube and some silicon tubing to swap it into planes???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
You can use the airspeed unit on any rx