SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
458 Posts
Hi billpa tkeeg (Tom),

I was going to ask a similar question. I have been using altimeter microsensor V3 for couple years now. I have to tell you that I wasn't impressed very much. Most of the time, I get very unreliable readings. Like I take off (I fly heli or multicopters) from a spot when it reads around 0,1, or 2 feet and when I land at the same spot it reads -20 feet. I always let it sit so it can adjust to outside temperature but it doesn't seem to help much.
I know this unit is sensitive to sudden temperature changes but whether or not the temperature changes significantly in the air is beyond my control.
Now, I got altimeter V4 and I am hoping that this will work better. We will see...

Bill, On V4, I see that the pressure sensor is under the clear shrink wrap. There is no direct opening to outside.
On the other hand, V3 models had pressure sensor enclosure that has a direct opening (a hole similar to pitot tube) to outside.

Is this the main difference between the 2 versions? Are the pressure sensors same or different?
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Hi billpa tkeeg (Tom),

I was going to ask a similar question. I have been using altimeter microsensor V3 for couple years now. I have to tell you that I wasn't impressed very much. Most of the time, I get very unreliable readings. Like I take off (I fly heli or multicopters) from a spot when it reads around 0,1, or 2 feet and when I land at the same spot it reads -20 feet. I always let it sit so it can adjust to outside temperature but it doesn't seem to help much.
I know this unit is sensitive to sudden temperature changes but whether or not the temperature changes significantly in the air is beyond my control.
Now, I got altimeter V4 and I am hoping that this will work better. We will see...

Bill, On V4, I see that the pressure sensor is under the clear shrink wrap. There is no direct opening to outside.
On the other hand, V3 models had pressure sensor enclosure that has a direct opening (a hole similar to pitot tube) to outside.

Is this the main difference between the 2 versions? Are the pressure sensors same or different?
Hi Iskoos,

I'm glad to see that I am not the only person with a V3 altimeter that works inaccurately! Not only one of them but both of my V3 altimeterís are substantially inaccurate.

Like you, I also ordered a V4 altimeter, hoping that that it will work better. It should be arriving within the next day or two.
Please post how your V4 works for you.

Regards,
Tom

PS: Bill, thanks for your reply to my earlier question.
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
iskoos, the barometric sensor used in the altimeter V4 is far superior to the one in the V3. I think you will be delighted with its performance.

In the last 2-3 years, there's been a revolution in mems sensing technology and cost. We should all have a shrine in the corner to cellphone manufacturers for driving costs lower and performance higher for baro sensors, gyros, accelerometers, and magnetometers.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:56 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
458 Posts
Thanks Bill. I haven't tried it yet but I am glad the pressure sensor is much better in V4. This will give me hope)) I got your reply to my other post on how to switch from V3 to V4. I will do as you recommended and give it a shot. I am hoping that I will see some improvement.

And Tom, I will post my findings here once I do the test flight. I have the unit in my hands already
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:42 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
916 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I haven't tried it yet but I am glad the pressure sensor is much better in V4. This will give me hope)) I got your reply to my other post on how to switch from V3 to V4. I will do as you recommended and give it a shot. I am hoping that I will see some improvement.

And Tom, I will post my findings here once I do the test flight. I have the unit in my hands already
Iskoos,
I had a chance to test out the altimeter V4 module and I must say that I am very impressed with it. It is a HUGH improvement over the crappy V3 module. This V4 is accurate enough to make me happy!
I loosely wrapped it in a bit of porous cloth & stuck it out of any direct airflow and it seems to be accurate to within a couple of feet in most instances and sometimes is seems to be accurate to the exact foot.
Tom
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:47 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Quote:
Hi billpa tkeeg (Tom),

I was going to ask a similar question. I have been using altimeter microsensor V3 for couple years now. I have to tell you that I wasn't impressed very much. Most of the time, I get very unreliable readings. Like I take off (I fly heli or multicopters) from a spot when it reads around 0,1, or 2 feet and when I land at the same spot it reads -20 feet.
I am confused. I thought that you had to fly to at least 50' before it would register and provide a new reading? Whenever I power mine on it shows the previous reading, so theoretically it will never show a reading below 50' anyway....

Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:44 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl3vml View Post
I am confused. I thought that you had to fly to at least 50' before it would register and provide a new reading? Whenever I power mine on it shows the previous reading, so theoretically it will never show a reading below 50' anyway....

Mark
Mark,

I am a novice with Eagle Tree Products, but a few years ago when I used to use the V3 altimeter as a standalone unit, (without the OSD Pro), it would immediately show the top altitude of my last flight as soon as I powered it up. I don't remember if I had to go past a certain altitude for it to register my current flight.

With the V4 altimeter hooked up through the OSD Pro, every flight starts off at, or near, 0 feet.

I donít know why someone from Eagle Tree didnít answer your question as this thread is in their Vendors Section of RC Groups.

Tom
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Oh. OK. Thanks for that info Tom. Does the V4 start off and show 0' in stand alone mode as well or does it need to be hooked up to the OSD unit for that?
I use them in my Vintage models and they work great in stand alone mode so I don't need the OSD units, but it would be great for them to start off at 0 each time.
Mark
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Mark,

The V4 has the same behavior in standalone mode as the V3 (reset at about 50 ft). This is to help ensure that max reading doesn't get inadvertently erased. Is the issue that you sometimes fly where your max altitude is less than 50'?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:25 AM
Sir Jasper
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Nope, just curious since I want to get another unit and was not aware of the added functionality.
Thanks for the info.
Mark
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:06 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Iskoos,
I had a chance to test out the altimeter V4 module and I must say that I am very impressed with it. It is a HUGH improvement over the crappy V3 module. This V4 is accurate enough to make me happy!
I loosely wrapped it in a bit of porous cloth & stuck it out of any direct airflow and it seems to be accurate to within a couple of feet in most instances and sometimes is seems to be accurate to the exact foot.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Finally past Saturday (Jan 12th), I made the switch per Bill's directions
(it is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795907).
The switch went through w/o a glitch. I then took my multicopter to a test flight. It is like you and Bill said, this V4 altimeter is lightyear ahead of the V3 altimeter. Accuracy is within a few feet (or even better in some cases). There is no more sudden fluctuation/jump in this V4 sensor. The altitude value increases or decreases uniformly. And when you land at the spot you took off, you don't see crazy difference like I would with V3 altimeter.
So now the question is What to do with the V3 Altimeter?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:03 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
I wanted to change the unit of measurement of Altimeter V4 (ft vs meters) and I made ​​the mistake of making this connection (wrong).

I'm correct, I made the right procedure and the right connection, and now the first flash I "1" and then flashes twice "0".
I also tried to read the OSD Display the values ​​and look right.
What harm could I have done?
goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Gory, as long as the altimeter is still functional with the OSD/eLogger, it was not damaged. I suspect it will be ok.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:10 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Gory, as long as the altimeter is still functional with the OSD/eLogger, it was not damaged. I suspect it will be ok.
"Fiuu....", thankfully! Now I have to try it in flight and then tell you. Thank you
goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:04 PM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
I just bought the Altitude Microsensor V4 and IMO it is not working good (or my misunderstanding).

When power it on and look on the PC Data recorder and move the sensor up and down 15 meters I don't see any movements on the gauges or graph in live mode.

Even the display on the sensor is only blinking a zero.

Question, is the unit defect or is it only showing something above a certain height??

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T