HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 12:15 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
New Product
STANDALONE Altimeter and Airspeed Sensors, starting at $37.99

Our tiny new Airspeed and Altitude MicroSensors have two modes: they work standalone with no additional equipment required, as well as connecting to your elogger for full data logging!

For standalone mode, simply plug the sensors into a spare receiver channel or small battery (3V to 16V), install the pitot tube for the airspeed sensor, and fly your model. Then, when you land, your maximum altitude or airspeed is displayed on the built-in 7 segment LED! What could be easier?

Altimeter Microsensor V4

Altimeter Features:
• World's lowest cost Altimeter ($37.99 USD MSRP!)
• Aproximately 1 foot (0.3 meter) resolution
• Weight approx 4 grams (0.15 oz)
• Precalibrated – no user calibration required
• Metric or English units

Airspeed Microsensor V3

Airspeed Sensor Features:
• World's lowest cost Airspeed Sensor ($42.99 USD MSRP)
• Measures from approximately 2 MPH to 350 MPH
• Weight 4 grams (0.15 oz)
• Includes our new brass and aluminum Micro Pitot/Static Tube
• Accessible static port
• Precalibrated – no user calibration required
• Metric or English units

See your Eagle Tree Dealer or click here for more information.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Jul 18, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2008, 12:42 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,697 Posts
Way to go Bill! Amazing prices for a couple of cool gadgets. I'll look forward to seeing them come to market this summer.

And I sure LOVE my V3 eLogger!!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:00 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
Does the airspeed sensor work as an altimeter also? I would think it should since it is already measuring static pressure.
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jul 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Al,

Interesting idea! No, unfortunately that would not work too well, based on the way pressure has to be measured in an altimeter. I think it would provide altitude data in a fairly narrow range, but even that would take some effort.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
Bill,

On the full scale helicopters that I have worked on the static pressure line from the pitot static probe is teed to airspeed, altimeter, and rate of climb gages. Actually there are two probes connected together and there is a restrictor in the lines to smooth things out.

Al
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Al,

Yes, we recommend the same thing when both airspeed and altitude are mounted. The static source can be shared between both the airspeed and altitude sensors.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:33 AM
France, Pays de la Loire, Briollay
Joined Mar 2005
113 Posts
Hi all,

What about the availability of the V3 sensors (altitude and airspeed) ?
Are they delayed as the OSD, or are they still planed for 31st of august ?

I just received my E-loggerV3 and it's a great device, now i would like to make a kind of dashboard for my FPV easystar with the LCDpowerpanel and the new sensors (my goal is to display voltage,amp,airspeed and altitude)

Thanks
Samuel
samol is offline Find More Posts by samol
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Samuel,

We are now looking at or before 15-September for availability. So sorry for the delay. One of the electronic components that comes from China (big surprise there) was delayed due to the olympics!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:14 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Hi Bill,

Will this handle the high speed launch of a discus launch glider? Or that will mess up the calibration during the high speed launch. We radar of our guy throw and it about 70mph on a launch.

Also, how does heat/temp condition effect this? We have use some other altimeter and they are all very tricky to use.
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:37 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Helisfreak,

These sample at a high rate (100 milliseconds), so the high speed should not be a problem.

These sensors are also multi-point temperature compensated, and drift only slightly over a wide temperature span.

I think you will love them! :-)

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Ok, I will try one out when they come in stock. All of my buddies said it will not work well, however, I always like to prove them wrong.

helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Sounds great! Hope we prove'em wrong. :-)

Also, we are pleased to announce that the Airspeed Microsensor will include our new Micro Pitot/Static tube, and small diameter hookup hose.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:39 PM
Jacksonville, FL 32244
Joined Apr 2004
165 Posts
Bill,

As you may recall I emailed you about three years ago suggesting you come out with this product (something that would measure altitude, just for those who fly sailplanes).

And as you can see from your records I was one of the very first to order one when you first announced you were going to have it available.

I'm anxious to try out the altitude indicator and see just how high I fly my Sailaire sailplanes in particular, since everyone else in our club won't fly nearly as high for fear of losing eye contact. And I can't blame them because I lost a Cirrus that way several years ago! It was found a year later. It had made a perfect landing in a vacant area in the woods. Obviously the only item that was salvaged was the fuselage, which I still have.

Glad to see you will be shipping my Altimeter Microsensor V3 soon!

David
carrinsr is offline Find More Posts by carrinsr
Old Sep 01, 2008, 10:51 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi David,

Thanks your your support, and kind words! We're getting close to getting these shipped.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2008, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2006
28 Posts
Bill, is Pitot/Static tube available separately for purchase?

Yuri
yuri_base is offline Find More Posts by yuri_base