Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2003, 07:51 AM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
I keep losing landing gear wheels,suggestions welcome!

Those little plastic caps aren't doing the job even on soft landings.I lost three wheels this week,Any ideas,thanks.
alvinm is offline Find More Posts by alvinm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2003, 08:54 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Put a drop of thick C/A in the cap before you push it onto the landing gear wire.

Some people also use heat shrink to hold their wheels on, but I've tried it and couldn't get it to work well for me.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 22, 2003, 08:58 AM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,189 Posts
I use a paper punch to make a 1/32" thick plywood disc. Then drill out the center to the size of the music wire then CA it on. I sometimes follow up with a little dab of epoxy or Shoe Goo. SO far so good.

Boz
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Jan 22, 2003, 09:01 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
My favorite thing to use is plastic wire insulation. By digging around I can usually come up with the perfect size and with a drop of CA they stay on.

I used to throw the strippings away when soldering wire, now I save all the little insulation pieces.

With heat shrink I usually have to use more than one layer to get it thick enough to hold the wheel, plus use CA.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 22, 2003, 09:09 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,554 Posts
On small models I use an old paper punch to make a little tinplate disc, punch a hole in the centre with a panel pin or similar, then solder to the axle. Use a thick paper space between axle & wheel and work fast with a hot (powerful) iron .. or you'll melt the wheel hub.

With carbon axles and GWS wheels I use very fine silicone fuel tube (must be clean & unused!).

Larger models use brass collets (collars), if you're paranoid you can Loctite the grubscrews and/or file a flat on the axle.

I don't recall ever having lost a wheel!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 22, 2003, 09:51 AM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
Using CA, I glue bits of 1/8 square balsa stock with a hole drilled in it onto the end of the axle, works great
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:30 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I used to be into heatshink big-time for parkies, but I found out that my favourite hobby shop (Aircraft World) has wheel collars in the right size for tiny wire on the Cessna, Tiger Moth, etc. I use them now.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
I use this sometimes...

Rough up the axle a bit where the retainer is to be, then wrap sewing thread around it tightly, apply a drop of CA using a nail point or similar, more wraps, more CA (all the while being careful NOT to CA the wheel on!), more wraps, etc., then a drop of 5 min. epoxy over your work, and paint if desired. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:43 AM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Here's a thread with a bunch more options.......

Wheel Keepers

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:48 PM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
Great ideas,some of those required a lot of time on someones hand.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:55 PM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting a small groove around the end of the wire with a dremmel or file and push an e-clip onto the wire.My on road gas cars are full of e-clips and seem to hold up to all the vibration.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:50 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
794 Posts
Try some small detent washers available at most any hardware store. They work great and you can get about 100 of them for a couple of bucks. They Only go on one way and you have to pry them off. You can put one on either side of the wheel to center the wheel on the axle.
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
Pembroke Pines Florida
Joined Jan 2003
498 Posts
Sounds good, what are those washers orgionally used for?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,541 Posts
You can use the metal retainer rings that come with the Du-Bro micro pushrod connectors if your axle is the right diameter. I think about .050 to .060. Give that a try.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 22, 2003, 06:49 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
i losted my wheel cap while building the superstar ep. I just kept on glueing on the wheel wire ends until the stuff of the glue was enough to block the wheels from coming out. this helped alot.
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special