HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:32 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Just a note if the link is not working for you- it wouldn't play with Firefox but I.E. worked fine for me.
ScaleBrad is online now Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Thats great to hear Brad. I'm sure its nice just to get back in the shop to work on an old project, or look at them.

Have your plans changed for power?
inpieces is online now Find More Posts by inpieces
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:17 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,878 Posts
Hey Brad. Good to see you back! How are things health wise?

The link works for me. Did ya see Josh in the latest AMA rag? Flying CONTROL LINE!!
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:42 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,395 Posts
Still Around

Brad:
Glad you are finding some time to get on the A-10. Interestingy, as Dean says, Josh is flying controlline. He sent me a set of plans for the Fierce Arrow and had me enlarge them so he could build the giant size Fierce Arrow.

I have not gotten back to the A-10. I have been flying my EDF Falcon 120 as well as finishing up an old AMD BAE Hawk (had it for a year or so just sitting)for turbax power. I also recently picked up an old BVM Maverick (cost me $100 after I added some glow engines to the deal) and did the EDF conversion (like Racer1 did). I will get back to the A-10 later in the year. After looking at the plane, when I landed gear down it tore almost all of the internal gear structure out of the wing and fuse. The fuse is easily repairable but the only way to get the new gear in the wing is to build a new wing. The wing center section for my plane was designed around the original gear (which was in the plane and broke). This gear was badly broken in the landing and is not repairable as many of the pieces that broke are "one offs" so to fly the plane again I will need to get Robart to manufacture the gear they did for Dean's kits. The gear is out of production but Robart will make one for me. I just have to set money aside ($800+) for the gear. Also, the reason to build a new wing is that I need to get some weight out of the wing and I can do it with a new wing. The current wing weighs 17 lbs (with servos and retracts) and I think I can get about 4-5 lbs out of it. I also broke the horiz stab in half. It has been broken numerous times when the gear failed so repair is not possible. I think that I can get about 1 lb out of the horiz and vertical stab by building a new one. One pound out of the tail is really significant so I need to get the stab lighter. All in all, I really like the plane and the power I got from my converted Dynamax fans so the A-10 will fly again, just a question of time to get to it.

Revive this thread by getting back to your A-10 and post progress reports

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
a10

hello, where can I find the drawing plane a1
erikson is offline Find More Posts by erikson
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
a10

hello, where can I find the drawing plane a10
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
hello, where can I find the drawing plane a10
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,395 Posts
erickson:

Are you looking for a drawing of the A-10 or for plans for the plane?

Ed
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:28 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
543 Posts
Hi Brad, Good to see you back on the horse again. We all know how life always seems to get in the way of our modeling. After a long dry spell sometimes its just a matter of getting in the shop to straighten things out to get us building again. The good news is all the new options we have for the Byron. I have an old regal Eagle highly modified and fitted with the Byron fan and a big Het inrunner ready for spring. I also have the Hacker turnado @ 585Kv for a Miller F-4 I am working on now. Ed is also flying an old Byron F-16 with good results. Keep us posted on your progress, and welcome home.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:01 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Thanks everyone, Dean my health is fine, at least physically; I turned 40 this month so I'm preparing for my 1st mid life crisis, or maybe it's already passed.... A corvette wasn't practical so I bought a 570HP modified Mercedes sedan last year

My son is almost 2 years old and now slightly less maintenance where I can keep him in the workshop with me sometimes...

Power system remains the same for now, the Byron fans/scorpion motors, and 12S when the time comes. I saw a thread here somewhere about a large Byron sized fan with up to 12 blades but appears to be vaporware at this point.

I have been considering sending the landing gear out for electric conversion though. Down-and-locked is one company and now I hear Robart may have some conversion kits in the works.

I worked on the tail section a little bit tonight but won't be full throttle on the build until Friday.

Some off-topic pictures for now...
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:36 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Man I know about the kids. I have 3 and can hardly get anything done at the moment. Rock on!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,395 Posts
Brad:
Nice thing about our hobby is that it is something you can do with your children, as my dad and I did. My mom says his modeling with me kept him out of the bars. LOL. Interestingly enough, out of four boys and one girl in my family, I am the only sibling that took up modeling.

With regards to the power system. I have converted a Byron fan to EDF for a friend. We are getting about 16-16.5 lbs of thrust on 12S @ 94 amps. We are using a HET 800-73-590 KV. It flies the Byron F-16 very well. With regards to the thrust, my big A-10 (Harel) was 54 lbs with two Dynamax/Scorpion 630KV motors and I was getting 15.5 lbs of thrust out of each fan and it had plenty of thrust. So, I think if you can get about 15-16lbs of thrust in the plane it will fly well. Let me know if you decide to convert the Byron to EDF and use the HET motor. I can provide a few photos.

The multi blade 6" fan Dean is refering to is called the Arson fan. The project is still in process. After the project manager, Joe, looked at the first iteration of the blade/hub design he decided to redesign it. If you do a search on Arson Fan, you will find his thread on RCG. Send him a PM and he will put you on his e-mail distribution list and you will get periodic updates.

Keep plugging away and the model will be done in no time.

By the way, really nice car. Don't get any speeding tickets with it.

Ed
Last edited by A10pilot; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:33 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Making progress, the pictures don't show much yet but at this stage I have completed the final fitting and mounting points for the tail section. One final sanding and ready to 'glass all the tail parts, I hope to get one side of each piece done in the garage tonight.

I have broken up the build into several stages, and will be working on each one until it is complete, and in primer. At that point the plane will be in the "ARF" stage and only need servos and electronics installed. Looking at the whole plane gets to be overwhelming so it is more of a mental thing at this point. Basically I have to finish 3 major parts- the tail section, the wing, the nose section/canopy/cockpit.

Right now I am working on the tail section...I will be working on it until it is fully assembled, primed, and servos/linkages installed. Seeing this part done, and working, will be good motivation. It's really like building a small plane itself, with 4 servos and 4 control surfaces, let alone engineering the mounting system to attach it to the fuselage. The tail section will be removable, with 2 dowels up front and 2 nylon wing bolts holding it down.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:16 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Why do something once when you can do it twice?

I wasn't happy with the result, and after looking at the full scale A-10 I started over. Much better now. That Gorilla glue, and blue foam, is stronger than you would think

After several attempts, I ended up making a template from construction paper, and used 1/64th ply to make the filler piece.

I heard there was a football game on TV tonight?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Nice progress Brad.

Just curious though, why are you fabricating that piece? While I haven't started building mine, isn't there a molded glass piece for the tail section?
inpieces is online now Find More Posts by inpieces