HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
Link works here as well. Sorry the end didn't go so well but the takeoff was great....better than with the old OS. .91s. Don't give up.....
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,314 Posts
Dean:

As I said, stuff happens. I agree about the takeoff, our old glow systems never accelerated like the EDF does. I will start working on a newer lighter version later this year. The real shame is that I had ordered new batteries for the plane and they were supposed to be here next week. Well, when I got home the new batteries were on the door step. Had I know that , I would have waited one more day and flown tomorrow with new batteries but it is what it is. Guess I will have to build another plane so I can use your canopies.

I broke Herb's custom landing gear in the crash. Did you use Robart in your two planes? If so, since you are soaring now, do you have any A-10 retracts you don't need?
Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,527 Posts
Link worked on my home computer but not the Ipad.
Sorry that the plane was damaged. Hope to see it flying again some day soon.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Dean:

As I said, stuff happens. I agree about the takeoff, our old glow systems never accelerated like the EDF does. I will start working on a newer lighter version later this year. The real shame is that I had ordered new batteries for the plane and they were supposed to be here next week. Well, when I got home the new batteries were on the door step. Had I know that , I would have waited one more day and flown tomorrow with new batteries but it is what it is. Guess I will have to build another plane so I can use your canopies.

I broke Herb's custom landing gear in the crash. Did you use Robart in your two planes? If so, since you are soaring now, do you have any A-10 retracts you don't need?
Ed
You still would have had to do a few breakin cycles on the batteries before subjecting them to DF use, right?

I have one set of Robart gear left but I won't know if they will be for sale till after Soar Utah this year. If the grey Hog doesn't survive the slope, they will be up for sale. If it does survive, you may have to electrify it. The first model to fly IC ducted fan, turbine, pure slope, and electric power in the SAME airframe!!!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,314 Posts
Dean:
You are correct, the batteries would have to have some break in cycles. Let me know if you have any retracts that might be for sale. No hurry as I don't think I will tackle the new/rebuilt plane until early fall.

Boy the "old Grey Hog" sure does get around LOL.

Eric:
I hope to get to work on another one that I will build from the ground up as light as possible. I will probably try to use a combination of Falcon5 techniques and a little of the structure from Josh Harels plans. I think that given the weight of my Hog, I thought the power on EDF was impressive enough to warrant another plane at a lighter weight.

Ed
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Ed, I'm not trying to be negative but I know of several instances where sky lipo batteries have not been able to hold up under higher amp draw. Sheppard tried them in his Tams F-16' he was pulling about 115-120 amps and 4000 watts and they just sagged and lost power, he used xps and nanotechs and they performed flawlessly. When you got that high ripple on the one side (.05) that tells you something was not right. Even if the voltages on the batteries seemed ok, something was not right.

I thought you were waiting on the new batteries before flying it. Hope you can get her fixed back up that, it is an awesome jet!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,314 Posts
Brian:

Not to worry about the negative stuff and I did not take it as such, however, I knew that when I reported the problem on the thread, Brian was goign to "chastise me" for not listening. . Kind of like when I did not listen to my father. LOL I have been known to be stubborn (ask my old girlfriends) and sometimes I just do not listen.

I was thinking of waiting but I got impulsive and as I sometimes do, I decided the plane was "going to fly or crash trying". The skylipos had preformed very well over the course of 38 flights (I have 6 shipsets of packs (3 per flight so I have a total of 18 of the 4S packs)) and they gave me no reason to question them. Even if I had gotten the new packs I did not have a plane to break them in on (sinceI lost my Falcon 120 a month ago) so the first flight would have been asking for full power.

Later this fall will probably start on a completely new airframe, built from the beginning as an EDF. For now I need to get the new Falcon built so I can have a large EDF. Then it wil be back to finish the 127mm BAEHawk.

Ed
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:09 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
654 Posts
A-10 Profile build

Hello you A-10 folks
I have build [needs to be completed] A-10 Profile Foam, Build was out of 3/4 in blue foam and 2 in. blue foam for the fuz.
55 in wing.
42 in fuz.
Found the plans from an old Modle Airplane mag. 1992. They used the .049 eng. inside of a PLASTIC POP BOTTLE.
Now with my many problems.
The plane is together, completed.
Not sure on the Gear. I am flying at the family farm RC strip here in north central Kansas. Russell, Ks. So not sure if I should try to use gear, or just go without gear and hand launch.
Does have rudders. [Now, not sure if Rudder is needed]
Will be trying to go with 4S batt.
Thinking about 70 mm EDF
What do I use for housing for the 70mm
Not sure on the weight at this time. Will need to weigh [as is now]
Enough for now.
Will try to attach a picture. Hope it works
SARG5 is online now Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:29 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
Nice! You need to get with Jack and slope soar it at Lake Wilson.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
654 Posts
Have had several suggest that.
NOW, EASY ON JACK. I can only go so far.
He is a great guy
SARG5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:21 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
654 Posts
Hello again A10FLYER
Have been reading the post on this thread.
Assumed if anyone could tell me what to do, it would be you

SARG5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
654 Posts
A10
Do you fly there at the lake?
SARG5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:38 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
I made the event a couple of years ago.

Don't worry about Jack and I. I've been there, (kits), and have total sympathy for him. He's OK in my book.

Dean....
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
654 Posts
Back to my concerns with this Profile build A-10.
Do you know of anyone who may have did the Profile build? Assume that I can work my way through the problems. But, if I find someone who may have built a Profile. Would sure help.
Wife will not let me go BIG TIME A-10 LIKE YOU FOLKS
SARG5
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:29 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,697 Posts
Anyone still around? Remember me? Well, it's hard to believe, but I actually worked on the A-10 last night. Starting in a few days I will have 2 weeks to myself to work on the A-10 every night and weekends. I am hoping (a lot of hoping with this project) to at least get all the wing and tail glassed and assembled. No pictures for now there's not much to see for the moment, just finalized mounting points and final sanding getting ready for 'glass.

Ed, did you make any repairs to your A-10? I was thinking, why not fly it with fixed gear for now, just to get back on the horse- and get yourself some white gorilla glue and slap the tail back together..

In the mean time, I found another build thread for a slope glider version...all scratch built and very impressive workmanship, makes my build look caveman style:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...p?th=75877&p=1
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad