HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you like DW Foamies planes?
Yes 76 63.87%
No 6 5.04%
They're ok 2 1.68%
Never tried them 35 29.41%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 03, 2008, 07:32 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Poll
DW Foamies owners thread (poll)

Since I've seen several forums about DW Foamies, I thought I would start one about the insane planes, that are just a blast to fly. Tell us how much you like them.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2008, 08:05 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Heres a pic of mine,got the stuff to finish it up saturday and it should fly by the weekend. So far i really like the hinge system on this large one(55'' span),got the landing gear to but i'll fly it without the gear first,construction and hardware are really good.. all the depron was cut really well. Cant wait to fly it.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:12 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
So far, I've built and flown:

55" Yak
38" Yak
24" Yak X3
Juka Pro Milled
24" Gen X
38" Extra

Every one of them is a gem. So far, I have to say my favorite is the 24" Yak. Just fantastic performance. I also like that I can put one together in about 1/3rd the time of an Ikarus, and almost as fast as an Eflite foamy. Also, Mike is one of the good guys in the hobby.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:16 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
I have to agree that Mike is one of the good guys in the hobby. I've talked with him on the phone a few times, and through email a few times, and he is always happy to help out.

So far, I've flown a Yak JR, Gen X JR and the Juka Pro, and all three are an absolute dream to fly. Like Ben, I've found I have a soft spot for the Yak JR. Since I started flying it, I've had a hard time flying anything other foamy. Great for indoor and out!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Last edited by NumbSkull; Jun 03, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:49 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I've owned the 55" BAF Yak, two 38" Yaks, a 38" Juka, and since it's raining I might start building my Yak Jr tonight.

I just ordered another 38" Juka because with the tricks you'll try you'll want one standing by. And I wanted to try Mike's power package. How can you beat it for $109?

The Yaks are awesome, and the 55" version is a unique plane, everything happens in slow motion.

The Juka is a 3d monster. Crazy spins, fast snaps and roll action. It's the Velox of foamies.

Here's a few shots of mine. As you can see it's been 'flown.'

BTW, those are the GWS E-starter decals on there which fit perfectly.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Jun 03, 2008, 10:34 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
I have the 38" Yak , is kinda sluggish to me. Maybe it's all those holes, who knows.
I do like the build though,

RC
rcdrum is offline Find More Posts by rcdrum
Old Jun 04, 2008, 10:30 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Just flew the 55'' baf gen-x.. +1 happy owner that will be adding more dwfoamies to the hanger .

Heres video from the maiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7d5LKWvrow
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Jun 04, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added video from maiden
Old Jun 04, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdrum
I have the 38" Yak , is kinda sluggish to me. Maybe it's all those holes, who knows.
I do like the build though,

RC
The holes in the ailerons and elevator and rudder are supposed to be an aerodynamic feature, that also gives greater controll authority. If Mike chimes in here, then he can tell you exactly why he put them there.

Also, what power system are you using? And how much controll throw do you have nputted into the controll surfaces? And weight is another cruical thing too. How heavy is it?

I've had 4 of the 38" Yaks now, and I have no complaints about them. They all flew great on my Himax HC2812-1080 motor. Now that I'm using 25C lipos, it just balls out power, and has unlimited vertical, that I'm still even impressed with.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
It's pretty much agreed that the holes are drag-creators. That's their purpose on indoor pattern planes, anyway.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Oh. Anyways, they make the plane look more distinctive, and more attractive, rather than just a boring flat plane (hehe, kinda like the Juka, lol).
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:35 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
It's pretty much agreed that the holes are drag-creators. That's their purpose on indoor pattern planes, anyway.
Maybe I'll try covering up the "drag-creaters". I really prefer a crisper handling plane, everything seems to happen in slow motion with thw DW Yak.

RC
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:49 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Here are a few pics of the 55'' BAF Gen-X I am reviewing here on RCG.

Review should be finished within the next few weeks!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Jun 04, 2008, 09:38 PM
Arcadia, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
153 Posts
I've had both the DW Foamies Yak 54 and the Charger-RC CR-1 and I prefer the CR-1 hands down.

But, I guess I'm in the minority...

-Phil
TBPlayer is offline Find More Posts by TBPlayer
Old Jun 04, 2008, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdrum
Maybe I'll try covering up the "drag-creaters". I really prefer a crisper handling plane, everything seems to happen in slow motion with thw DW Yak.

RC
No so sure you will want to do that. The Yak 54 is a slow flight foamie, so no matter how much you try, you're not going to get it over about 20mph.

Well, it's all about peoples opinion here. Some like the DW Foamies (19 now), and some haven't tried them, or didn't like them, if not at all (5 now).

Plus it might also be a matter of availability. A lot of the owners of DW Foamies live down here in San Diego county. Plus Mike can deliver directly if nessessary.
Old Jun 05, 2008, 12:16 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
No so sure you will want to do that. The Yak 54 is a slow flight foamie, so no matter how much you try, you're not going to get it over about 20mph.

Well, it's all about peoples opinion here. Some like the DW Foamies (19 now), and some haven't tried them, or didn't like them, if not at all (5 now).

Plus it might also be a matter of availability. A lot of the owners of DW Foamies live down here in San Diego county. Plus Mike can deliver directly if nessessary.
Crisper handling has nothing to do with airspeed. I also never said I didn't like the DW plane, it's just differs from what I'm used to.

RC