HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2008, 11:12 PM
Joined Apr 2008
84 Posts
Question
covering any rc plane. sig 4 star kit

I am building a sig 4 star. I ordered from tower hobbies. Ok the one thing i am not so sure about is covering it. How do i do it. Also how do i do a multi colered one with stripes and everything. It looks so complicated but i just dont want just a solid coler. I wana mix 2 colors. So plz tell me how to do this???
jon1007 is offline Find More Posts by jon1007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
It's not hard.. just go slow.. and practice on some scrap pieces. To start with it's easier to have the color changes where there is support... ribs.. stringers, etc that run the length of the color change. here is a pic of mine for some ideas. The wing stripe is pin striping, the stars were stick on but I did cut the numbers using stencils and are ultracote and are my freq #.. For what it's worth, ultracote is easier to use and apply then monokote with less wrinkles, etc. On slab pieces.. start in the middle and work your way out to reduce trapped air and bubbles. in the wing... make small hole in each rib to allow heated air to escape.
This vid is a bit silly (fast) but shows you the basics.. it helps to have a gun to cover the open framed areas.
Balsa wing covering video (3 min 27 sec)(3 min 27 sec)(3 min 27 sec)(3 min 27 sec)
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Jun 02, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 08:49 AM
Joined Apr 2008
84 Posts
SO how did you do the multi colored wing?? did you first cover it all in white and then did red or just you cut pieces of red and put them on. Im really confused what you said about wing stripe.
jon1007 is offline Find More Posts by jon1007
Old Jun 03, 2008, 10:09 AM
EMB Jungle Jet Jockey
Georgetown, IN across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY
Joined Oct 2004
139 Posts
its better if you can not cover differnt colors on top of each other. It is almost impossible to avoid bubbles, especially on the 4 star that is a completely open wing struckture, i.e. no sheeting.

Im guessing he covered the wing white to the main spar and then did the leading edge with red.

If this is your first covering job I recommend one color for the entire surface, if not it will frustrate the heck out of you.

You can always go back and paint it with Lustrecote if you want to.
summerkc is offline Find More Posts by summerkc
Old Jun 03, 2008, 11:27 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Mostly... covering is a matter of acting like you know what you are doing.

Re multiple colors... you need to CLEAN the surface of the first color before applying the second. Use an amonia based cleaner... then dampen a rag with acetone and wipe it down.

Avoid fingerprints on the area you will be putting the second color. Any oils will interfere with adhesion.

This also applies to the small strips of overlap... Proper preparation will make the sams stick better and keep fuel or other stuff from getting under the seam.

The prep for Lustercoat... you need to clean with amonia based cleaner... then lightly sand (400 or higher grit wet-dry... just scuff the surface a little) then go over it with acetone... and avoid fingerprints...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 03, 2008, 12:17 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
You can do a color scheme similar to the red and white plane easily enough. Make your seams land where there is structure. Do not attempt to place a seam over an open area. Keep the design basic (where the plane pictured has white behind the cockpit on top of the turtle deck just make that red). There is checkerboard patterned covering if that is the design you want for the bottom of the wing. I would suggest making the bottom of the wing mostly a dark color with wide stripes running front to rear of your light color, I would make the stripes two rib bays wide.
Some will say this is to much overlap but I recommend overlapping the seams 1/4 up to 1/2 inch. If using the rib caps as the anchor point make the seam the same width as the rib cap.
Start at the bottom and the back then work your way to the front and top, the idea being that the air will flow over the seam so that it does not try to lift the seam.
Pin stripes really dress up the plane and can can wonderfully hide any irregularities with the seams. Tower has pretty decent prices on pin stripe tape and of course the local auto parts store has it too.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Jun 03, 2008, 02:04 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Automotive trim striping tape holds well.

Again.. CLEAN the surface before applying.

And ANY stick-on will peel eventually if exposed to nitromethane. So its a good idea to get a can of clear Lustercoat... spray into thecap and use a fine brush to apply it to the edges of trim tape. That will seal it down and keep the fuel away from the adhesive.

"Simple Green" cleaner (and some others) will also attack the adhesives of trim tape and most iron-on coverings... slowly lifting the edges of any seam.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771