HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2001, 06:24 AM
Norco, CA
Joined Jul 2001
1 Posts
Looking for high wind tips for ZAGI

So I am building my first ZAGI after being totally floored by the ones sailing around Kite Hill in Aliso Viejo, CA.

I have the 3C model (all EPP with an "A" frame of carbon spars). Yay. I have it most of the way complete and getting ready to cover the sucker in black Econokote. I took one look at the puke green tape they sent and said "H### NO".

The question: Anything in particular I should do for HEAVY winds? I live at the top of a hill with HARSH daily winds. Like >40mph sustained every day in the summer. In the winter when the Santa Ana winds blow, it can be >50-70mph sustained. No lie. I am concerned the durability because I noticed that there is a fair bit of turbulence at the edge of the hill.

The predator birds (and swallows) love the hill area because there are ground squirrels, rabbits, snakes etc below and enough wind to keep them hovering in place for as long as they like. There is an owl that does the same thing when the winds good enough at night. On bright nights its nice to watch the owl surf the wind... How bout a glow in the dark ZAGI? ok - its 4am and Im avoiding getting back to coding. Thanks in advance for any advice.
P A L A D I N
PALADIN is offline Find More Posts by PALADIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2001, 01:55 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PALADIN:
The question: Anything in particular I should do for HEAVY winds? I live at the top of a hill with HARSH daily winds. Like >40mph sustained every day in the summer. In the winter when the Santa Ana winds blow, it can be >50-70mph sustained. No lie. I am concerned the durability because I noticed that there is a fair bit of turbulence at the edge of the hill.
Yeah, epoxy Coroplast winglets on a cinder block and fly that.

If you fully intend to fly your little Zagi in a gale like that I'd still use Coroplast for the winglets and be prepared to chase your plane to Hawaii.

Only partially kidding...

mw

Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 25, 2001, 11:45 PM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Well on a really windy day I saw a guy duct tape a pair of pliers to the bottom of his wing. It flew pretty well. I left my Zagi in the car.....
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt
Old Jul 28, 2001, 10:40 PM
South San Francisco
Joined Jun 2001
67 Posts
I've flown my Zagi 3C in 40mph winds. As long as it isn't gusty and changing directions it will fly OK. Although landing it is a handfull! If it is gusty I hate flying as the wing seems to flex and jump up and down. Not very fun.

My favorite days are steady 20mph days. Beautiful!

There is a plane made locally in SF. It's called a Panther. Most of the guys put lead in it until it weighs about 36oz's. This thing has so much inertia that it flies through rotors and the airfoil is stiff enough that gusts don't seem to bother it.

I'm thinking of picking one up, that is, if the old lady gives two thumbs up.

[This message has been edited by dano (edited 07-28-2001).]
dano is offline Find More Posts by dano
Old Jul 28, 2001, 11:43 PM
tyler, texas, united states
Joined Mar 2001
639 Posts
if all else fails, launch upwind, not downwind I've found that this works a little better....
barn buster 50 is offline Find More Posts by barn buster 50