SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:02 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jan 2003
329 Posts
Discussion
what are some nice floaty backyard flyers for this equip?

i have this motor:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=304
2s 800 polyquest packs
thunderbird 9
spektrum 6100e

i originally bought this combo for a e-flite funtana 300 however i think im going to hold off crashing it for a little bit.

i used to have a moth and it was great fun, looking at other similar style rudder/elevator floaty backyard flyers that might work with this combo. something nice and floaty for the street/large backyard.

i would be running 2s and the 10x4.7 prop, so 11oz thrust at 23mph

things i have though of:
- tigermoth or lite stik should be a good match the motor may be a little heavier than normal for it.
- yard stik or slow stick i think this setup might be a little enemic for this setup what do you think?
- dusk stik?

any other high wing, or rudder/elevator kits that would be a good match, i dont mind kit building either.
unsped is offline Find More Posts by unsped
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
I would recommend the SE5A from http://www.alphafoamies.com My setup is exactly the same as yours except my motor is the Eflite Park 250.

Ricky
My Hangar
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:53 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jan 2003
329 Posts
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...t-p-19590.html

i just noticed the gym-e is back ... tempting

i like the alpha fokker, they seem pretty pricy. but epp and aileron option in that size seems otherwise hard to find anywhere else.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sebastopol, CA, USA
Joined Dec 1996
541 Posts
MissStik or MissStik Jr. They don't come any floatier. Inexpensive, all stick construction, but fun and easy to build. Reviews of both on this site. Enjoy!
wahrhaftig is offline Find More Posts by wahrhaftig
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsped
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...t-p-19590.html

i just noticed the gym-e is back ... tempting

i like the alpha fokker, they seem pretty pricy. but epp and aileron option in that size seems otherwise hard to find anywhere else.
They are expensive, but I've run mine into all sorts of walls/goals/bleachers and it keeps flying. I had ONE bad landing with my depron shockey and it never flew again.

I call these epp foamies my "front yard" flyers. I just step into my front yard and fly all over the place. Keep in mind that I live in Fort Worth in a subdivision that I can stick my hand out my window and touch my neighbors house (its an exaggeration, but you get the point)

There is no time commitment with these. I don't have to 'get anything ready' I just take my plane in the front yard and fly. Its great fun. Plus it fits into my "one battery to rule them all" mentality. The same 2S 800 flies my Blade CX,Pico Stick(30 minute flight time with stock brushed motor!), HyperFlea, & SE5A.

Ricky
My Hangar
Old Jun 03, 2008, 11:51 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jan 2003
329 Posts
true, it would be really great if i could use the 2s800's the alpha guys seemed to think they were a bit heavy, my brushless is a little on the heavy side too, maybe if i went with a eflite 250 or similarly lighter brushless. or go up to the stearman which has more wing surface. i really like the DR looks though! hehe

i ordered a pico stick also, cant go wrong with that for 10 bucks

i used to run 1020 kokams in my TM and get 45min flights it was crazy.
Last edited by unsped; Jun 03, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
857 Posts
I LOVE my pico stick and 10 bucks is a steal! And with 30 minutes of flight time, I never sit down in the gym. I won mine in a raffle several years ago, everything is stock except for the AR6100 and the 2S 800 lipo.

Jimmie is all about performance and weight. He told me the same thing about SE5A. I didn't want mine to hover or do anything special, I wanted it as a trainer so I wouldn't look so stupid trying to fly indoors and running into stuff all the time. In fact, I mixed the rudder stick and the aileron stick both to the rudder servo in the plane. Coming from glow planes, I didn't use much rudder. After a week of solid flying, indoors is a piece of cake.

Now I'm trying to get the hover and inverted thing down with my EPP contender. I don't know how the guys do it with the rudder being COMPLETELY backwards. The elevator isn't so bad, and the ailerons "go the right way" but its the rudder that kills me.

Ricky
My Hangar