Closed Thread
Old Jun 01, 2008, 04:43 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
Build Log
A DG600 Prototype build thread

I'll be taking on a challenge of a build thread on a proto type fully moulded DG600 from Falcon gliders shortly and will be doing fully detailed build thread .And even though it should probably go into the scale forum I'd rather stay in with my slope brothers , as this will be a slope machine any way . Not sure of the exact stats on it yet but think its about 2.5 mtrs .From first views I had of it , it will need some mods in the the way of beefing up the usual under played areas of any slope machine, did I say it was fully moulded ?? and is complete with flaps and both of the different wingtip that the DG600 has ,the long flat tips or the shorter winglet version. Though this build thread I want to pick your collective slope minds on improvement and Ideas to be use in the released product . This product will relate to excellent value for a quailty mouldie at a price that wont need a second morgage to pay for . Well thats the challenge so we will begin soon with your help .
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 02, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: renaming of thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2008, 03:29 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
a starting point

Well here's the stats and a photo of the dry assembly
Specifications

Scale: 1: 5. 5
Wing span: 3. 2 m (126")
Wing area: 40 dm2 (620 sq. In. )
Wing airfoil: s 3021
Wing loading: 42 g / dm2 (14 oz / sq. Ft. )
Flying weight: 1. 7 KG (60 oz)

Span with no tips: 2685mm

Span with short tips: 2765mm

Span with long tips: 3285mm

Dry weight is 1.3kg

SteveW
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:02 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Steve, what size is the joiner and is it steel or carbon? I would do the standard upgrades to the fuselage, namely, carbon tow inside the cockpit underneath the canopy lip to resist compression/buckling loads upon frontal impact. Perhaps add a layer of 2-3oz kevlar to the inside of the fuse forward of the leading edge. I would add a compression member in the fuse at the leading edge and trailing edge to resist crushing by the wing roots should the wings swing forward or aft during impact.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:03 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Steve, how does it compare to the one in your avatar? Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
Thanks DT points duly noted Joiner bar Carbon rod at this point cant remember right now dia but think it was 8 or maybe 10 m/m, Tony the one in my Avatar is the DG1000 , although I enjoy flying the 1000 it has the built up sheeted wing and was a real dog at first till I worked out the setup ,which I fully documented over on the scale forum . However this is a totally different set up , the wing is hollow moulded the fuse as pointed out is going to need some beefing up but thats why I'm here with you guys .As this is the proto type all changes will be made to present an awesome mouldie at a cheapie price . Maybe looking around the $500.00AU price tag for an up to 3.2 mtr fully moulded Scalie , does that sound reasonable ? and no we are not talking cheap bad quality workmanship here either . Its first rate and once I,ve gone through the ideas and suggestions and make the Mods this ship is gonna rock
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 02, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:38 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,242 Posts
Looks nice Steve. I'll be watching with interest.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 02, 2008, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
DT, How about Carbon tow the full length of the fuse Like stringers if you like .Would keep the cost down as well as the weight ?.as well as the suggested stange beef ups .
the belly pan and forward fuse section could use possible a layer of 8oz cloth to beef it up . I mean I'll try it that way first , Just thinking by adding more exotic material such as kevlar we could start having pricing issues ? Although a small amount of Kevlar in the floor pan and Nose probably would not add to much in the way of cost I would'nt think . I do think that Carbon tow would be an excellent alternative as it give the required Strength is relatively cheap and easy to use . Hmmmm need more input hungry minds need to know
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jun 02, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:17 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Hey Steve,

It looks very nice. I like the DG style canopy and the longer wings My 800 (to me at least) looks a little strange with the short tip winglets on. It also has a different performance characteristics at the shorter span as well.

I'd be adding re-o to the whole thing to make 'er strong in the frong. You will need lead anyway . Do you know if it's an expoxy or polyester laminate?

Sam,
DG fan.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
Sam from the smell it seems very much like West systems so its epoxy defiantely not poly.
SteveW
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
reference documents

You can make a judgement on how close the scale is to the full size if you want . BTW the Canopy has a glass frame and you cut and fit the mould vaccum form plastic canopy inside it I'll try yo set this one up so it hinges open ala full size.But that just me .
Old Jun 02, 2008, 08:54 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Looks scale enough to me, that DG canopy/cockpit is unmistakable, love it. Must be cool to sit up there and look at the clouds between your toes . I just refit an old DG200 fuse with new wings(S3021 btw) and stab, did the the stab to scale and thought I would live to regret putting such a small surface back there but it worked out great. Scale can be tricky can't it?

EB
ps. interesting, the DG600 wing plan form looks exactly reverse to that of the 200
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
Generally my rule of thumb is if it works on the fullsize why reinvent the wheel
this is shaping up to be a very interesting build for me ,looking forward to getting on with it . At the same time I'm putting my Osprey together in the Australian forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873225
busy busy busy lol.
SteveW
Old Jun 03, 2008, 06:01 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
On hold for a few days till I clear the Osprey build of the Bench.
SteveW
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:51 AM
3Ding at a field near you!!
Cranny, Vic. Aust
Joined Mar 2008
581 Posts
Waiting with baited breath.... At around $500 thatsa a bloody good deal Steve. Hope it all works out well and you can produce a customer version shortly.
Cheers Steve
Steve.650 is offline Find More Posts by Steve.650
Old Jun 06, 2008, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
The Osprey is almost of the bench and I've already done a bit more dry fitting to the 600 I'm going to do the long tip version and note all mods that will be incorperated into the next version . Ijust like to say that the prototype is of a very high qaulity and is an epoxy layup I will be reviewing and making suggestions on hardware that need to be included in the kit , but at the moment its sitting in the box beside the work bench next in line .
SteveW
Closed Thread