Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 01, 2008, 02:16 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Discussion
RTR Severn Class Lifeboat

I just bought the 'ready to run' Graupner Severn Class Lifeboat. I'm pretty sure it is the same as the one offered in the UK.

I would like to fit 'real' R/C to this model. I have already done this with a couple of the low cost toy category boats currently available and have been very pleased with the results. Unfortunately this does not appear to be a simple task on the lifeboat as there is only a small access hatch for the batteries

Does anybody know how to remove the superstructure ? I have done some exploratory prods with a screwdriver and it seems that the top is only clipped on, not glued. I tried a little force, but chickened out to avoid causing damage.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hampshire UK
Joined Nov 2006
101 Posts
Hi

The superstructure is screwed on from underneath, you have to remove the deck first.

There is a lot of information on the Mayhem site, have a look here to get some ideas.

HTH
Richard
ps mine's in bits waiting new motor etc......
VO70 is offline Find More Posts by VO70
Old Jun 01, 2008, 03:37 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Richard

Go to the top of the class and assume hero status.

That's exactly what I needed.

Many, many thanks.

Chris P
Old Jun 01, 2008, 04:27 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,103 Posts
I didn't realize that Graupner was the manufacturer of that little model.

Is it propellers and rudders or is it dual propeller with differential steering?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:34 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
I didn't realize that Graupner was the manufacturer of that little model.
Is it propellers and rudders or is it dual propeller with differential steering?
Well, yes and no; Graupner has it made in China and is the distributor.
It has the 'dreaded' tanksteering if I'm informed correctly.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:05 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
it is pod drive, but easily converted
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,380 Posts
Glad this popped up! Please keep us updated on progress. I am very interested in how the project goes togerther.

I was considering trying to modify one this winter but RC SCALE MODELS here in the US ran out of stock and I couldn't afford the hefty bill to get one special ordered. Thought about having one sent over from the UK as well but.....plans change

Ghost - have you converted a Severn? What type of glue/goop/adhesive would one use on a plastic hull to secure shaft tubes and rudders?
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:18 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Well, yes and no; Graupner has it made in China and is the distributor.
If I'm not mistaken, the UK model has been out for a couple of years and the Graupner model is fairly new. I assumed that Graupner was not the instigator of the model, but maybe I'm wrong.
Ghost - I don't know the term 'pod drive',but I can confirm that the rpm's change on one side when the stick is operated.

I have read the Mayhem site a few times and taken a good look at the model, but I'm not sure how to remove the deck. Is it glued on ? Does anyone know ? I just don't want to break anything.

On a different note - one person's comment on Youtube about this model was that his model sank. When you see the size of the gap between the deck and superstructure it's not surprising. So there's a real interest in doing the job properly.
Last edited by ChrisP; Jun 12, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:21 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy
Glad this popped up! Please keep us updated on progress. I am very interested in how the project goes togerther.

I was considering trying to modify one this winter but RC SCALE MODELS here in the US ran out of stock and I couldn't afford the hefty bill to get one special ordered. Thought about having one sent over from the UK as well but.....plans change
Andy

I'm in similar circumstances. All I really need is for someone to tell me how to remove the deck and I'll work out the rest myself. In any case, I never did a kit bash in the past the same as anyone else.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:37 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy

Ghost - have you converted a Severn? What type of glue/goop/adhesive would one use on a plastic hull to secure shaft tubes and rudders?
nope, however to secure the various tubes that pierce the hull, treat it like a regular abs kit and use regular epoxy glue, (eg araldite).
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:40 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
Ghost - I don't know the term 'pod drive',but I can confirm that that the rpm's change on one side when the stick is operated.

I have read the Mayhem site a few times and taken a good look at the model, but I'm not sure how to remove the deck. Is it glued on ? Does anyone know ? I just don't want to break anything.
I have a gutted NQC 'Pelican' that had the same pod drive and ran on 6 penlights, quite high up in the hull, causing an 'adventurous' CoG, making it sway from side to side.
I replaced the penlights by a 6V SLA deep down in the hull, which made for a much smoother ride.
Eventually the sealing on the pods started to leak badly and the motors rusted solid, I pried them out , but they'll never run as before...

The deck was fixed witn numerous screws, hidden under rubber stops and (how devious) deckfittings, I nearly broke the thing trying to find the last few.

So I'd try to remove all deckfittings. stancions, deck housing to locate the screws, you'll get there eventually.

Question from my end: what did you use as glue to keep the new propshafts in place, my hull is the type of plastic, nothing I have will stick to...
Very frustrating, as I have the parts for a refit with 'normal' radio gear at the ready.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hampshire UK
Joined Nov 2006
101 Posts
The deck is screwed down, the screws are under the black plugs on the deck. In the pictures one of them is under your screwdriver. The deck is sealed with a large o-ring which fits all round the top of the hull, so be careful when you remove deck.

I can dig out some pictures if it helps

HTH
Richard
VO70 is offline Find More Posts by VO70
Old Jun 01, 2008, 01:04 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO70
I can dig out some pictures if it helps

HTH
Richard
You bet it would !!!!!

As there seems to be some interest, I would be quite happy to go ahead and report on my build progress.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 01:14 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501
nope, however to secure the various tubes that pierce the hull, treat it like a regular abs kit and use regular epoxy glue, (eg araldite).
Yes sir, way to go !!!

I just bashed a toy cabin cruiser and used nothing but 5 minute epoxy.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 12:13 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
OK - I removed the five rubber plugs and the corresponding screws underneath them and the deck came off a treat. I found the mentioned seal / O-Ring and treated it with due respect.

I now understand what is meant by the term 'pod drive'. Yes, it has pod motors.