HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2008, 03:48 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Build Log
Sig Riser 100 build

I started this project last August and it was put on hold so I could finish other birds but now I'm finally getting back to it. So far the wings are mostly finished and the fuse is in the works. I will put up pics tonight of where she stands right now. I have made a few modifications so far which include spoilerons and a set of spoilers under the inside wing panels. The reason for them being underneath has to do with something I read a while back which basically said that by putting
them under the wing it was more efficient in bringing the aircraft down quickly. This sounded interesting so I figured this ship would be a good one to try it out on.
jwhitacre is online now Find More Posts by jwhitacre
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2008, 04:49 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,045 Posts
Tip for the fuse, leave the last cut out in the sides in and back it with 1/64 ply from the cut out to 1" past the front of the elevator. I used 30 minute epxoy.
It is a bit weak at this point and the above fix worked for me.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 31, 2008, 05:01 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I just got everything for it out and I already cut out all the fuse holes I might just reinforce the tail section with 1/32 ply on the outsides and blend it in when sanding time comes.
Old May 31, 2008, 05:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here's where I left it last fall. I still have to make the one spoileron housing and a lot of work on the fuse. I did notice that my dowel rod reinforcements in the wing panels didn't match up Oh well, it will still do the job.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:19 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Almost done with the tail feathers (will have pics later this week) but after looking at the wing more I'm kinda wondering how effective the spoilerons will really be because of the polyhedral wing. I starting adding the spoilerons after the wing was built and don't really want to go back and tear the wing panel joints apart. Any suggestions? Keep them or dump them(only have one built in right now anyway)
Old Jun 04, 2008, 03:41 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,405 Posts
i wouldn't bother with the spoilerons in the wing tip. I suspect it will give the plane unpleasant characteristics when deployed (like not flying anymore). There's probably a reason that spoilers are seen near the middle of the wing.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jun 04, 2008, 07:22 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking I'm dumping the spoilerons and will keep this bird a RES ship
Old Jun 05, 2008, 04:37 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
I would keep the midle spoilerons , might come useful in 100 " span wing
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Jun 05, 2008, 04:38 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,405 Posts
yes I would keep the middle ones also. But i think that's what you mean.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:49 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I am keeping the under wing spoilers without a doubt, just dumping the outer panel ones
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:20 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Back on the build

I put stopped the build for a bit to build my 2M Spirit but now that it's done I'm working on this again. Finishing the fuse is first on the list and I will have some pics and updates tomorrow.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:28 AM
East London, South Africa
Joined Aug 2005
77 Posts
I built a Riser 100" about 6 or 7 years ago and she is still flying. She is a fantastic docile floater and I have a lot of fun sloping her when the lift conditions aren't so great. I'm busy teaching my son to fly using my Riser and it's a great plane to learn with.

I would definately keep the spoilers in the inner panels. The Riser was born to ... well .... rise so the spoilers help quite a bit when trying to land when the lift if good.

Wayne
Urbanarmitage is offline Find More Posts by Urbanarmitage
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here's where the fuse sits. It needs a bit more covering and radio gear installed. The horiz. stab is waiting on the elevator to be attached and the wing is almost ready to cover. I removed and cleaned up the area where the outer spoiler was but am keeping the inner ones without a doubt.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Got some more work done The tail feathers are covered and mounted plus the covering on the fuse is done. Finishing the wing will be next starting with the spoiler setup.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:56 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Finished

I've been busy at work and have only been able to work on the Riser a little bit at a time but it is done and maidened this morning It flies GREAT and the under-wing spoilers work perfectly so I'm very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I'll have some vids tomorrow.