Old May 31, 2008, 11:34 AM
Fire!!
Burnsville, MN
Joined Nov 2007
47 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX3 vs.DX3R

Ok i'm thinking of buying a spectrum radio for my car and two boats
What is the advantage of buy ing a DX3R over a DX3?
Kirchnerbrn is offline Find More Posts by Kirchnerbrn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
KIRCHNEBRN- The difference between the two radios is major if you are racing professionally or are you looking for a reliable radio to run your models wit no chance of interference. The 3R radio is classified as the pro radio, with model memory for 30 models, 3 built in timer functions, exponential on all channels and NO SERVOS. The DX3.0 has 4 model memory, no timers built in, a little larger transmitter in hand, But it DOES COME with 1 standard servo and 1 high torque servo. As for the pricing for the two radio systems , the DR3R will set you back $319.99 while the DX3.0 goes for $249.99. As for me this is a no brainier, but then I am not a professional or for that matter in a peeing contest. The choice is yours.
PS.-DO NOT USE ANY 2.4 Ghz radio in a submarine. The frequency is way to high to penetrate the surface of the water for any depth. Believe it or not the best frequency for a submarine is good old 27 Mhz.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old May 31, 2008, 07:09 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
99% of the people don't need the DX3R, but will instead "want it".
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:18 PM
Fire!!
Burnsville, MN
Joined Nov 2007
47 Posts
What does
3 built in timer functions
and
exponential on all channels
mean?
Old Jun 04, 2008, 03:24 AM
Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO
Joined Jun 2005
100 Posts
Means you don't need the super duper DX3R. I got a smoking deal on the DX3R and don't use half of the cool features. I actually use one of the timers so I can time lipo batteries and not burn them up. I bought the radio for my cars and was told that the hard core race guys will time fuel or batt usage, fast lap time , and total race time, so all 3 timers can be used. The Exponential (expo for short) to me is something used mostly on aircraft the most, then on car/trucks second. I will run 30% 40 % expo on my war birds to slow down the roll rate, and make a wing over look crisp. What expo does is make the neutral area of center stick less touchy on the servos. meaning less or equal movement of servo for more movement on transmitter stick/ or wheel for DX3R. If you don't see yourself having more than 4 running models at one time save the money on the DX3R get the lower model and buy more receivers. Sorry so long hope this helps a little.
BMWdriver is offline Find More Posts by BMWdriver
Old Jun 04, 2008, 11:11 PM
Fire!!
Burnsville, MN
Joined Nov 2007
47 Posts
but what if I want to buy more models in the coming days but dont want to buy the individual radios
I dont want to have a pile of radios laying around the house.
Thats my main reason in thinking of buying a Specktrum Radio.
Old Jun 05, 2008, 12:19 AM
Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO
Joined Jun 2005
100 Posts
That's tuff then. I have the DX7 for my air models and I really use most of the features and I think I have 10 or 11 different models on it. The thing is I have all my helicopters on the DX7 and they require lots of set up and tweaking to get them flying well, but I would think that if you got the DX3 that only has 4 models you could get away with Just relinking with say the 5th model boat or car you get. It would not be to hard to redo a boat as you only normally have throttle and steering(same with cars).So rotating them could be an option.
BMWdriver is offline Find More Posts by BMWdriver
Old Jun 05, 2008, 02:33 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
What is the model memory amount on the regular DX3?

I must admit that the LUST FACTOR is quite high with the DX3R!
Old Jun 05, 2008, 03:36 PM
Fire!!
Burnsville, MN
Joined Nov 2007
47 Posts
the dx3 has a 3 model memory
the dx3r has 30 model memory
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:24 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
I was talking to a tech at Horizon about 2.4 and boats and he recommended to stay away from 2.4 in boats. He recommended 75 mhz FM for boats. I have a 6I coming and thought it would work great on the water. He disagreed with me even after I told him about several guys having good luck with them. I don't know what to think.
I may give it a try to prove it to myself.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Last edited by fgroza; Jun 05, 2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:40 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Advice to anyone using LiPo batteries on NON-LiPo aware ESC's- get a LiPosaver. A few small $$ now can save your expensive LiPo investment.

Otherwise, get a LiPo aware ESC.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:17 AM
Hampshire UK
Joined Nov 2006
101 Posts
Have a look at this thread here on the Mayhem forum, it discusses 2.4 in boats and may help.

HTH
Richard
VO70 is offline Find More Posts by VO70
Old Jun 06, 2008, 12:02 PM
Fire!!
Burnsville, MN
Joined Nov 2007
47 Posts
thanks
are there any other radios that have model memory
I want to have a universal remote it dosnt have to ba spectrum
Old Jun 06, 2008, 01:55 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
As I understand it, any spektrum radio will function with any spektrum reciever, you just need to sync the receiver and transmitter prior to use.

You could have ten models with spektrum RX's and one transmitter. Three of the models would be in memory at any time, but you could swap out one of the three for a different boat in minutes.

I got this from the literature, as father's day is coming up... If this is wrong, please correct me!
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:50 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
You may be wrong, or worse yet I may be wrong. I was told that the Spektrum aircraft receivers will not work with the Spektrum surface radios and vice versa.