HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
Joined May 2008
14 Posts
Discussion
Landing strip

Hey, I fly my electrics at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, CA. It is a glider/electric field. The spot is great - tons of wide open air, control board... great. The big problem is that the "landing strip" is dirt and it has been ravaged by pocket gophers. So, I am going to work with the park to try and get a paved landing strip laid down. Can anyone offer suggestions as to the dimensions that I would need to offer electrics a good runway/landing strip? Thanks.
Chargle is offline Find More Posts by Chargle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Depends on the model...

20 ft X 50 ft would be more than adequate for some...
50 ft C 300 ft would be insufficient for others.

I have electric powered models at both extremes...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old May 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Depends more on the pilot than the model..
The runway at my local county field is 400x50', and people still have problems hitting it..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
The field I fly at is 394x50, and it is more than enough for the turbine jets to takeoff and land, the lighter ones that is.

I'd say that a field about 450x50 is plenty, even for large electric models. Out at the MWE a few weeks ago, we had a large number of big electric models, and they easily took off from the field. It's about 400x20, so something of about 450x50 should be plenty.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 30, 2008, 03:18 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,549 Posts
We have a 200'x150' landing area where we fly, mostly 2# or less planes, and it's barely adequate for those. 3D's do OK, but sport flyers have a problem. The guys who fly larger planes (6# is about the largest) really have a problem. I would recommend at least 300' as a minimum if you can swing it.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 30, 2008, 04:10 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
For a landing strip i think 50metres x 50 metres should be enough for most flyiers. 400ft seems a little excessive i think. Thats over 130metres.
jrubenis is offline Find More Posts by jrubenis
Old May 30, 2008, 04:16 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubenis
For a landing strip i think 50metres x 50 metres should be enough for most flyiers. 400ft seems a little excessive i think. Thats over 130metres.
Depends on the aircraft... I have a few that are hard to get stopped in 300 ft after touch-down. If you don't touch-down at the end of the runway... you can easilly need more. And the average RC pilot does not consistently touch at the end of the runway

I only have one that needs more than 200 ft to get off the ground. Takeoff is rarely what is used to determine the runway necessary for a model.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old May 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
150x150ft. is enough for SMALL electric models, not for the entire range of electrics. If your area only permits park flyers under 3lbs. then that is fine, but other than that, it's just not enough room. My field is barely 400ft., and it seems much shorter when it takes only about 10-15 seconds to walk down to the other end to check out the new guys stuff, and make sure he is set up properly.

And for me, I only need a platform to stand on to be my runway. My 3D planes I just reach out and grab, and hand launch them, so I need very little place to "takeoff" and "land".
Old May 30, 2008, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
138 Posts
more.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargle
Hey, I fly my electrics at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, CA. It is a glider/electric field. The spot is great - tons of wide open air, control board... great. The big problem is that the "landing strip" is dirt and it has been ravaged by pocket gophers. So, I am going to work with the park to try and get a paved landing strip laid down. Can anyone offer suggestions as to the dimensions that I would need to offer electrics a good runway/landing strip? Thanks.
i've seen you fly, chargle. i'd suggest a BIG landing strip.
and maybe we could set up a "dive bomb" competition to take out those gophers.
ltbidrawn is offline Find More Posts by ltbidrawn
Old May 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
So you're saying the 8ft wide straight section of bike path that I always try to land on is too thin?

No wonder I'm always missing the darn thing!
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old May 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
Joined May 2008
11 Posts
Poll the club members and find out whose plane needs the most landing strip and use those dimensions.
The Dead Baron is offline Find More Posts by The Dead Baron
Old May 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Depends more on the pilot than the model..
The runway at my local county field is 400x50', and people still have problems hitting it..
..a
Yep .... I have a couple hundred of acres to land in and over the last holiday weekend I hit 3 trees in 3 days.

I hear that depth perception gets worse as one gets older.
Lou is online now Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
^Oh, if that's so, then I'm lucky that I'm young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421
So you're saying the 8ft wide straight section of bike path that I always try to land on is too thin?

No wonder I'm always missing the darn thing!
Nonsense! I've landed on smaller (8ft. long bench that is ~1 1/2ft. wide ).
Old May 31, 2008, 01:58 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargle
What are the rules for flying there? (how big a plane) That should be a good starting point...
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old May 31, 2008, 02:55 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
As has been said take off is not a problem, with a paved strip stopping is a problem. Perhaps you can come up with a trap of some sort both ends to stop the planes, then you could get away with a much shorter strip?
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold