Old May 30, 2008, 12:21 AM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Discussion
You might be a foam junkie if:

1. You take your wife/girlfriend out to eat and you pick the place because of the type of coffee stirrers they have.

2. You are driving and see a field by the road and think “Yea, I could get my Blu-Baby in and out of there!”

3. You don’t mind fish once in a while because everyone knows that Long John Silvers has the best “gratis” epoxy mixing cups.

4. Your neighbor hates that you fly foamies because you mow your lawn (i.e. flying field) more often now and he has to mow, too.

5. You buy an item because of the kind of packing it comes in.

6. You can’t wait until the next election so you can get more signs to make flying surfaces and push rods.

7. You spend way more time on RCGroups than you do with a good book.

8. You can get a tear in your eye looking at a shelf full of colored packing tape.

9. You buy a box of Popsicles and warn everyone that they had better save the sticks!

10. You see a hawk or other big bird soaring toward you and you unconsciously move your thumbs toward the low wing.

11. You and the head of the meat department at the local grocery store are on a first name basis since you have asked for so many foam trays.

12. You actually look forward to getting the blue credit card offers in the mail that says “Your Name here”.

13. You wonder how every item you see in the store could be used to help build a plane.

14. Your wife wouldn’t let you put the greasy skewers in her purse after you had shish-ka-bob at a restaurant.

15. You see a cheese and "Nutball" and want to go flying.

These are just some of the things I can think of. Please feel free to add more! ~ ThickThumbs
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2008, 12:53 AM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
You are perusing a spot of land for a future home and your wife walks up, calls you a geek and accuses you of assessing it as a flying site... And she is right. (True story!)

We bought it btw and it IS a great flying site!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old May 30, 2008, 01:30 AM
Australia Sunshine Coast
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
Damm it I did no. 13 today and worse I nearly was going to post some motors to myself today and pretend they came from HC.

There is no cure lol.

This post is going to be huge
rudes is offline Find More Posts by rudes
Old May 30, 2008, 02:36 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Mar 2008
222 Posts
LOL...this is so true.

I was at the hospital yesterday (getting stitched up from a prop bite) and was sitting in the room by myself looking around to see if there was anything I could swipe to make planes out of.

Then While getting the stitches I asked the doctor if I could have the forceps and little sissors. He let me have them...I was so happy...lol
Hemmi is offline Find More Posts by Hemmi
Old May 30, 2008, 04:55 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Yeah, when we bought our last house, one of the requirements was flying space...

If your wife goes through your building room to find your DX7, hot glue gun, soldering iron and "little parts and pieces" to mail to you in Afghanistan so you can build a foamy, even though I currently dont know where I'll be able to fly it.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old May 30, 2008, 05:19 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Just this morning I saw a discarded kid's toy arrow (type with them rubber suction tips), and checked it to see if it could be used for rubberband wing mount sticks. I didn't like it, so tossed it back.
I tell my kids to save the popsicle sticks, too.

You might be a foamie junkie if you see a pretty babe in a bikini holding a plane, and all you notice is the plane.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 30, 2008, 06:34 AM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,469 Posts

You can cut it, bend it, shape it , sand it, paint it, you know several excellent ways to glue it and tape it but you have no idea what the insulating value of your construction foam is.

You've considered moving to a new area of the country that "is not so windy".
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 30, 2008, 06:37 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
If you're reading this ....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 30, 2008, 07:03 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
purchased fifth bundle 2X4X50 feet
three socked away for cold weather
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old May 30, 2008, 07:33 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Your a foamie builder if you are constantly renaming your model memorys.....

Thick Thumbs welcome to the scatchbuilder forum...we just love a poster with a sense of humour...
What a great thread..... this is a hoot...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 30, 2008, 07:38 AM
Registered plane abuser
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
356 Posts
You walk around with hot glue stringers and packing tape stuck to you all day.
Marty H. is online now Find More Posts by Marty H.
Old May 30, 2008, 07:48 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
A sense of humor is required around here...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 30, 2008, 08:02 AM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
You might be a junkie if you have trained your wife to look for coffee stirs when she's out with her friends!!!

I love her and she actually did come home once with a purse full of stirs!
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old May 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
My wife actually encourages me to build planes, she enjoys taking pics of them in-flight. She wants to learn to fly too. For my birthday last month she bought me a foamie B-29 thrust vector plane.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Thanks for the Welcome dekan. I have been around a while, mostly lurking. This isn't just a hobby, it is an entire subculture unto itself. I have done, or seen done, almost all of these things. I can just see Hemmi looking for tape in the ER and Marty with the hot glue stringers stuck to him (I had that happen yesterday) and Rusty, she is definitely a KEEPER!

Thanks for joining in.

Someone uses the expression "One good turn deserves another." and you wonder how that would affect the Kv rating.
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs