SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2001, 04:42 AM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
Anyone Build / Fly /Own an ACT ME-163

People,

I am after some input from builders and flyers of the ACT ME-163 Komet.

The plane is basically billed as a super fast Pico Jet, and only 15 pounds ! It can be found at http://www.acteurope.com

Although it might be advisable to run the site through babelfish as it is in German only! http://babelfish.altavista.com

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.
Smifta is offline Find More Posts by Smifta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2001, 05:51 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,639 Posts
Alex

This little model has been the subject of much discussion here and in the scale modelling forums. A quick search for Komet or Me163 will yield you quite a few posts.

Got one hanging up here (unpainted as yet) awaiting a maiden flight when I gather up enough bottle. These little 'uns are seriously quick.

Having seen a couple of these in action I would say stick with the recommended 6vSp400 and 7x500AR batteries as they are plenty rapid enough on that set up and according to their pilots they like to be kept light. Apparently the C of G marked in the instructions might also benefit from some experimentation, but I can't vouch for that. Maybe someone who has actually flown theirs would like to coment?

Saw a chap in the LHS the other day being advised to stick a 480 in one on 8 cells - from what i've seen I don't believe this is necessary if the model is kept light enough (should be under 17 ounces).

I replaced the very very heavy fin with one made from balsaply. Also replaced that strange motor tube supplied with my own type made from a film canister and used a Protech Rondo type ESC mounted on the back of the motor. Hitec Superslim receiver under the wing and two HS-81 servos. I modified the top, cutting away the foam to add a clear canopy (easter egg container)and a slightly different hatch arrangement. Based on another ezoner's comment I also extended the strake underneath with some EPS to make it look more Komet-like. Did I mention that the supplied fin is very very very heavy???

Oh ... and made a likkle lightweight pilot for the office by cutting down a commercial item and making a new head that resembles the pictures of the poor suckers who risked getting melted by the T und C Stoff.

Probably too much effort for the expected four second life expectancy of the model but what the heck.

hth

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:10 AM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
I assumed that there would be other e-zoners with this model, and did do many searches on me163 and komet etc beforehand.

Unfortunately it seems that any previous post have been lost

Sorry if this thread does seem repeatitive.

Cheers to one an all,

Alex.
Smifta is offline Find More Posts by Smifta
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:30 AM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,612 Posts
Hi

Ive also built one. Havn´t had it in the air yet. Got a pic of it here: http://bornholm.adsl.dk/modelfly

SJ
SJ is online now Find More Posts by SJ
Old Jul 26, 2001, 05:51 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,500 Posts
Aaaargh!!!! The horror! The horror!

Just out of rehab, and what's the first post I see? This one! The very reason for my breakdown in the first place!

Ok now...deep breaths....calm...

ACT 163; Very small, very fast, very fragile. Needs minimal aileron, and lots of elevator movement + about 2-3mm of reflex built in. Easy to lose orientation.

When mine finally crashed beyond repair into a rock, the battery hurtled forward, cracking the receiver and pushed the Rondo Esc into the back of the motor (hard enough to total both) before the pack itself broke into 2 halves.

To sum up; would make ideal trainer for lone newbie

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper