HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:47 AM
What no reset button?
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Great Glue for EPP foamies

A Great Glue for these wings and other EPP foamies is "UHU Creativ" which I buy in the local craft store like "Michaels" here in the USA. It comes in a Green and Yellow tube and is made specifically for Foam.

This stuff is like a contact cement where you coat both sides, push them together, pull them apart for 30 seconds to a couple minutes and then put them back together. It sticks quite well at that point but then needs overnight to fully dry.

The key advantage is that it shrinks as it dries thus pulling things together tightly.

I used it on the Maxi Swift to put the wing halves together and then pinned them in place to dry. It will not come apart. I also use it when sticking carbon fiber to foam like on leading or trailing edge.

-Blee

Heard at the field:
"I don't got it, no wait I got it again, oh no , crunch, someone hand me a trash bag"
Bleemer is offline Find More Posts by Bleemer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:10 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Thanks Bleemer, I will pick some up. I have seen this advertised.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:46 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
An even better glue is "Welder" available at Lowe's..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:42 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Good review Dave. I saw one of these fly out at MWE down here like a month ago, and it looked like it was a lazy flying wing. Went real nice around 1/2 throttle is what the guy told me.

Had plenty of "go" though. Looked like it flew real nice too.

I was debating wether or not to get one, but the lipo and motor system seemed too pricy. Maybee some stuff from Hobby City will do....

Oh, and nice flying Dave. Looked really cool, especially with that paint scheme MS applied
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:01 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined May 2008
447 Posts
i have 2 off them for combat..
just make the motor mount out of plywood.
videocruzer is offline Find More Posts by videocruzer
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:27 AM View Post
jpwkeeper
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while jpwkeeper edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:17 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
I am going to go with a 6. Nothing really out there bad, but not a beginner plane and not a necessity to have a lot of expereince. The toss is out the realm of normal and anytime you have to toss and then coordinate the Rx that is beyond a beginner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:27 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
By the way I will work on submitting a rating of all my review planes soon and then submit that list. About 30 planes. I like your idea. As a university professor and researcher I see some holes, but I get the point. It would be great to develop a sheet that emcompasses a variety of issues and then a composit score. Like take off, landing, turns, stalls, visibility, CG response, glide slope, responsiveness, and maybe speed. Each would have say a 5 or 7 point Likert scale. 1=Strongly agree - 5 = Strongly disagree. You could use statements like, "When I turn the plane it tends to dip the wing enough I am uncomfortable", "The take is so easy I don't have to input any other than throttle", "Landings required very little correction", anyway you get the idea. At the end of the survey everyone adds up their total score and you then place that score into a rubric for each of the categories you already have developed. Those with the highest or lowest scores assuming the survey was written in the correct direction would be the most difficult to fly.

Great idea you have going.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
What no reset button?
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Rate this plane - Maxi Swift - Difficulty to fly rating -- 9 - Good 3rd plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwkeeper
Could I get you to go to this thread:

Difficulty to Fly Rating System

And rate this plane?
Jpwkeeper,
If I were to hand over the transmitter to a 2nd plane level flyer, they might be able to fly an already airborne Maxi Swift just fine. That said, it is not a simple ARF to build(limited instruction manual) it is not an easy plane to launch on your own (it is over 50 inch wingspan and you have to hand launch it), it is an elevon plane which means aileron training is necessary to fly and no self correction is present. A transmitter with Elevon mixing or an Elevon mixing circuit placed on the plane is also necessary.

While the Maxi Swift is not necessarily a good step up from a rudder. elevator plane it maybe approachable if moving from a trainer with ailerons and a flight instructor also assists with launches.

That said, I believe this is a good 3rd plane or beyond fit. In my opinion, there are much better 2nd plane choices out there so I would rate it a - 9 - good 3rd plane - on the "rate this plane scale".

Rating planes today is difficult as we have many new flyers who are joining our hobby/sport by starting out with a ready to fly park-flyer and eagerly tossing the plane into the sky with no instructor assistance. Today, this is a common way many people try the Hobby.

Some of these beginner planes are purpose built to almost guarantee a successful first take off and they are likely resilient/light enough to survive those first "landings at altitude" in tree's or on a roof. Take the little Aero Aces for example, $29 for a boatload of fun and great success for kids and parents alike.

We need to take these 1st planes into consideration today when we define what a good 2nd or 3rd plane is. It all depends on what your first plane was and what level of support/instruction you have had or will have available to you.

-Blee
Upon arriving at the crash scene, the little black boxes were immediately retrieved and taken to the lab(basement) for technical review. After a quick review of the manual, the servo's and receiver were quickly installed in the next airframe to be subjected to crash avoidance maneuvers(flight training).
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:37 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Good point Bleemer, that's what I mean as far as how we might differ, but we might as well be able to find some common wording to describe a plane flyability,
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:25 PM
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2008
49 Posts
wow.. the maxi swift.

this is one very cool wing.. we need to start a combat wing contest using these giant wings exclusively.. they are built super tough...
chirogid is offline Find More Posts by chirogid
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:22 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
All,

I had a mini swift and just built a maxi; WOW, did the mini fly nice. The mini glided like a slop glider however I have not flown the maxi yet. Thank you for the review great job.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Jul 02, 2008, 06:15 PM
What no reset button?
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Stopping the flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally
I found the foam also looses some strength over time and the wings become soggy!. Fixed it with a bit of carbon along the leading edge and also some light weight glass on ailerons really help.

Previously I noted the flex in the elevons causing control to flatten out with any speed.

Last weekend, I fiber-glassed the elevons and laid some fiber reinforced packing tape on the bottom only. While this added about 3 ounces to the gross weight, the Maxi Swift now flies with authority with what I would call mid level speed for this wing. I am not talking more than about 50MPH here, so my expectations for control authority are not way out there.

BTW, it still settles in for a soft flop landing with no slide even with the additional weight. The key is to find the correct rearward balance point. Do so and you can pull full elevator to harrier it right down to the ground.

The test flight proved to be a great improvement. I can now pull out of a dive or yank it around about 15 ft off the ground with a big grin on my face rather than the look of panic as I had with the previous control fades.

I will likely still add some carbon fiber in the main body to limit the bounciness in the EPP wing body

The best part of flying the Maxi Swift is watching the huge shadow this thing casts on the ground as you fly it in for a landing or an overhead pass.

So for you all building this big wing, there are 3 options as I see it:
1. Build it light with a smaller motor for floaty gliding

2. Stiffen it up some and put a 350-400 watt power system in it and have a bit more fun with only a small reduction in glide performance (My Choice)

3. Really stiffen it up and make a crazy huge fast flyer with 800 to 1000 watts of power on board. ( I would like to see one of these)

-Blee
Old Jul 02, 2008, 10:33 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemer
So for you all building this big wing, there are 3 options as I see it:
1. Build it light with a smaller motor for floaty gliding

2. Stiffen it up some and put a 350-400 watt power system in it and have a bit more fun with only a small reduction in glide performance (My Choice)

3. Really stiffen it up and make a crazy huge fast flyer with 800 to 1000 watts of power on board. ( I would like to see one of these)

-Blee

Any suggestions on option 1's power setup? I am curious how small you can go with this wing? I love floating my Swift II and would love to get the maxi to fly the same way. I wonder if a CDR type motor like the Tower Pro or BP 08 or 09 would push it with a 11" slow fly prop on a 3S 1500~1800mah lipo? I am sure it might want a larger pack just for the additional weight in the nose.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 05, 2008, 10:18 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
Well still no mount....for me. love a company who can't support what they sell!
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000