HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Theres no stop in you now...and you dont need me there!!...you can handle that bird with ease, it is the most stable gyro I have ever flown and is perfect for the beginner plus it looks 'the part' in the air. Maybe you could colour it brightly on one side to help with orientation and perhaps fly it a little closer while you get to grips with it?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:48 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Rich did you pickup the lead from the field, I don't have it?

It was a large bit..lol

Do you think making the front longer will be a problem?
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Maybe you could colour it brightly on one side to help with orientation and perhaps fly it a little closer while you get to grips with it ? Rich
Very wise words there Richard ! I nearly lost my new Rotorshape on Saturday when I had to make a detour to give way to an landing glider. It got a bit too far away but when it showed me its RED side when I expected its GREEN side I quickly got it heading back towards me again

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Yes colours should help.

I found the model wanted to roll to the right or left, only slightly, and I could not tell which way she had gone, to put in corrective control.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:26 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
Sorry! I thought you were saying it was nose heavy. Yes, you could extend the engine out a little...that would be helpful.

For the orientation. Colors help and keep it close till you get used to looking at it. I fly helicopters a lot and I still get confused. Whenever I'm not sure, I let go of the sticks and tap in one direction or the other...and pray for the best!

You seem like a really good pilot. I would keep it close until you get the feel of the thing. Orientation happens to the best of us!

Or you could be like Rich and build a BIGGER DAG!
HA!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
And Rich....on the crash video......it's like the old saying, "No one likes to see a crash but no one wants to miss one!"

It's really up to Andy...but I would really like to see how hard it went down since he's looking for engine parts! YIKES!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Joe,
As far as crashes go....it was IMPRESSIVE!!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Here you go

Testing Andys Kellett Profile (9 min 59 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
flingawing
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Rich,

Have Handy Andy rotate his master airscrew gearbox 180 degrees, if he does so, it will mount in the same holes and move the point of rotation aft. This will change the Hang angle and you should need less lead. I noticed that on Post 104 it looked like the gear box was mounted differently than I normally mount mine. Hope the repairs go well. I'm happy you were able to help Andy when he needed help. We all need help with those first flights.

Your friend in Montana,

Joel
flingawing is offline Find More Posts by flingawing
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I say that orientation problems are not fun. I still find myself getting disoriented sometimes, but the key is trying not to panic. I know it is easy to say....but it will come with experience.

My other suggestion is to not to fly at dusk and keep it close. I like to fly at noon so the sun will shine on the aircraft and I can actually see it. If I can see the gyro I am OK. If it looks like a black shadow in the sky....I get disoriented.

So.......it happens to all of us Andy. Hang in there buddy!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:38 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
Dave's comment about flying at dusk is correct. It's not just dusk though, it's also days with sun and cloud were the model only appears as a sillouette against the bright background of the clouds.

My mind now flies ahead of the model, always concentrating on which way the model is pointing and checking the visual clues to confirm. A short "nudge" of rudder can be helpful to check it is going where I think it is going I also find that if I keep the rudder on during a turn I'm much less likley to get confused about orientation as the rate of turn is maintained. Sometimes in a aileron only turn I find that it can "roll out" of the turn without me noticing.

PeterO
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Joel,
Good idea about the gearbox..I should of thought of that Sunday as knowone likes to add weight. I will pass the info on to him.

Thanks
Rich
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
I agree that without Rich's help for the first few flights, and getting the Kellet trimmed it would have been disaster a lot sooner.

Hope the video helps others to see my mistake and perhaps not do the same.
Flying at dusk is not a good idea, but I thought it won't matter just one more flight.

She will fly again.

The gearbox won't be re-attached as she is also bent..

Andy
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingawing
Rich,

Have Handy Andy rotate his master airscrew gearbox 180 degrees, if he does so, it will mount in the same holes and move the point of rotation aft. This will change the Hang angle and you should need less lead. I noticed that on Post 104 it looked like the gear box was mounted differently than I normally mount mine.

Joel
I thought the rotor shaft had to be above the pivot point or as close as possible!
I will look at locating the new one further back if you all think it won't effect the handling much.

Andy
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Andy,
Your gear box was mechanically in the correct position as the main mount bolts are in front of the axle. If you just simply turn the gearbox around as suggested, the plastic master airscrew gearbox will flex as it the torque of the rotors pushes against the axle. This ususally causes the internal free running main gear to rub against the housing causing friction and then the rotors slow up in flight. I have seen a few gyro crash from simply mounting it with the bolts behind the axle instead of in front of it. This also causes the pitch of the rotors to change in mid flight and the gearbox flexes back and forth. Sometimes it will even bob up and down like a dolphin in the ocean making the gyro uncontrolable.

You can move the gear box fore or aft of the pivot point to inhance your hang angle. But the further away from the pivot....the more torque it takes to move the direct pitch.

So....food for thought as you repare you Profile Kellett.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Last edited by imsofaman; Oct 14, 2008 at 01:27 PM.