SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2008, 12:42 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
Question
MAX E6 Digital Lipo Charger

Has anyone tried the MAX E6 Digital Lipo Charger yet?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I just got one... I don't have a real similar model to compare it against, but right now, I'm not 100% happy with it. The screen was scratched up pretty well right out of the box and the balancer adapter was sealed in shrink wrap that needed to be cut around the connectors to work. The software runs, but crashes after an hour or so. LogView kinda works, although it crashes sometimes if you stop the charger or the charger stops for whatever reason. Discharge is limited to about 5W - 0.4A on a full 3S, increasing to 0.5A as it runs down.

The display is clear. The fan is a little loud and the unit runs cold even when discharging. It appears to balance cells tightly and at the end of charge, read 4.19 to 4.20 on all cells with a VOM.

But here's something that really scares me: When discharging, it tries to take the entire pack to 3V * (the number of cells) or 9V for a 3S. I'm thinking that's very low. I put a full, balanced pack on it and let it go. When I come back later, it's got one cell down to 2.5V and the other two are around 3.3V. At 2.5V, I think so fail-safe cuts in and prevents it from discharging any further. That just seems too low. And the difference from 3V to 2.5V is something less than 1% of a cell's capacity, so it will be easy to run down this far even will well balanced packs.

There doesn't appear to be any way to change the cut-off voltage. If I could, I'd set the individual cell cut off at 3V and the pack cut-off around 3.3-3.4V per cell.

Also, there is a timer-limiting function down in the user menu. I believe it was set to 120 minutes as a default. 120m seems like a reasonable time for a charging cut off, right? Well, it also applies to discharging. Why would you ever want to cut off discharging based on time? If I did, wouldn't I want that to be a separate menu item than the charge time cut off?

Does anyone know if other comparable units have programmable discharge limits? I'm scared of killing the batteries.
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old May 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,076 Posts
why are you discharging your lipo's?

thanks for the review!
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old May 29, 2008, 07:32 AM
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Discharging them to measure capacity. I have some that aren't living up to their ratings. There also seems to be some debate about "break in" on LIPO's and I thought a cycle or two at a low rate when they're new couldn't hurt.

I've tested a few different lipo packs and on every one, one cell got discharged under 2.7V. After some rest, they all rose to over 3V, but I'm not sure that's good.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I got one recently and overall I'm happy with the value. Like the other poster said, the one feature that doesn't make sense to me is the Lipo discharge function set at 3V. I don't even use this, but instead use the Nimh or Nicad discharge menu to discharge my Lipos to the level I choose. The other issue with this unit is the discharge rate is too low at 1A. That comes out to like 400ma for 3S batts. In it's defense, I have yet to find a budget charger (<$100) that did everything I wanted.

I still use my GP Triton on Nicad setting for discharging lipos as it will maintain a rate of 1.6-1.7A for 3S.

For the money, it's still the best value I've found in a charger/balancer.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 04, 2008, 09:09 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Mar 2001
105 Posts
I have tested this charger yesterday and it has the same functions as iMAX B6 and the similar clones (same software?)

but AT LAST, a clone that balances well!!!
I don't know know how they managed it. Better resistors? Better calibration? but all cells are within 0,01V and bellow 4,2V

The fan does not kick in when a thermal threshold is passed. It is working all the time (sound level approximately to a laptop fan) . I will try the USB connection next weekend and report
pnikifor is offline Find More Posts by pnikifor
Old Jun 04, 2008, 11:59 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
Thanks for the report pnikifor. I want to get one of these chargers if Hobby City ever gets them in again.

Did the temperature probe come with it? If so, could you run a test with it? I want to attach it to my MiMH batteries so the charger will cut off at around 100* F (38* C) or so if the peak detection fails for any reason.

Bill
Old Jun 04, 2008, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I've used the USB interface and it work OK with LogView. A friend tells me that LogView will be updated with english support sometime in the next couple months.

FWIW, I was kinda stupid when I got the thing out. The shipping plastic over the screen fits so tight and is cut to match it so well, that I didn't figure out that it was there. DUH! After taking it off I found a nice looking screen underneath.

It seems to work quite well and the balance function does match the cells up very close.

I just really wish I could raise the discharge cutoff voltage. That was the reason I bought this toy and I'm afraid if I use it, it'll trash my lipos.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 06:22 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Mar 2001
105 Posts
hello,
I have tested the lipo discharge function and its obviously having problems
one cell got under 2,85V, other stayed at 3,65V
The manual is wrong in saying that the charger is monitoring the voltage of individual cells during discharge. It's only measuring the total voltage and cuts off when the preset 3V x Number of cells voltage is reached. There is no discharging through balancing ports.
In fact I have tried discharge without the balancing ports connected and the charger does not complain, no error massage, (indicating that balancing is not working during discharge).
Note that I always get an error message when trying to balance-charge without balancing ports connected.

The above problem is common to another xx6 clone that I 've tested (exactly the same functions-software)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12618

so it must be a generic problem of all xx6 clones like iMAXB6, GTA6, RC-Power BC6, and the like.

Anyway this is a minor problem for me. I see no point in discharging-cycling lipos and I wouldn't use this function unless mark963 reported his problem.

The good news are that it is the first xx6 clone reported so far to have absolutely no problems in balance-charging lipo cells.
It's also the second cheapest in the market today, including all sorts of connectors, temp probe and USB connection.

I have tried temperature probe for Sir Raleigh and is working fine, cutting off NiMH charging above 38 C degrees (as set by Sir Raleigh's inquiry, manually).

I still don't like the fan working all the time. Most xx6 clones can handle those 50 watts without any cooling fan so I think it's an "overbuilt" feature.

I couldn't open the box to check the insides because it uses those weird "torx-star-hexagon with a pin in the middle" socket screws apparently present to any device that the manufacturer does not want to be opened by consumers.

So far well done to Loong Max, a company that is probably here to stay, so we can hope for future upgrades.
Last edited by pnikifor; Jun 07, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:47 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
Thanks for the temperature test pnikifor. It looks like this is the charger I'll be getting if Hobby City ever gets any more in.

I don't know what you have in Greece, but here in the US hardware stores usually carry a tool to take those screws out.

I was just wondering if it's really that important to discharge a Lipo battery like that? I can understand discharging and charging (cycling) Nixx batteries, which this charger would seem to do.

Bill
Old Jun 08, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Mar 2001
105 Posts
It seems that a new generation of improved xx6 clones is expected.
looks like the membrane touch keys and torx screws will be the standard

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1905727
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:28 PM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
I got one recently and overall I'm happy with the value. Like the other poster said, the one feature that doesn't make sense to me is the Lipo discharge function set at 3V. I don't even use this, but instead use the Nimh or Nicad discharge menu to discharge my Lipos to the level I choose. The other issue with this unit is the discharge rate is too low at 1A. That comes out to like 400ma for 3S batts. In it's defense, I have yet to find a budget charger (<$100) that did everything I wanted.

I still use my GP Triton on Nicad setting for discharging lipos as it will maintain a rate of 1.6-1.7A for 3S.

For the money, it's still the best value I've found in a charger/balancer.

Doubletap
Is the balance output basically the same as a Polyquest balance plug? I'm thinking of going with this charger over the Turnigy Accu6 because this one has USB, temp sensor, and lots of extra connectors. I want to use this charger and buy UH's 6s to 3s splitter. I have two same size lipos with Polyquest balance plugs and two with Align plugs. I'm trying to see if I need and how many balance connector converter cables. ...and which ones...

Thanks for your help!

Also, do you connect to your computer while it's charging or do you download the data to your computer later?
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:20 AM
The Netherlands, Kampen
Joined Nov 2005
3 Posts
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but hey, better than opening a new one.
I am considering to buy this charger at hobbycity and I will mostly charge lipo's with it. So is this charger a good deal? I would also need an adapter 12v 5A at $15 witch comes to a total of 75 dollar excl shipping for this charger.

Or can I better spend my money on something else? (examples please)

The problem is I dont have so much money to spend becouse I'm still young
danielsan is offline Find More Posts by danielsan
Last edited by danielsan; Oct 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:23 PM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Mar 2001
105 Posts
I think it's the best buy at this price range. All the "usual" functions for handling lipos.
Next step would be iCharger 106B at 116$. More power for faster charging/more cells and many more features. Needs a more expensive power supply though.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:30 AM
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Oct 2007
142 Posts
Max e6 fan problem

Hi fellas,

I have a max 6 fan problem..it does not work anymore. I have tried opening the charger and tap on the fan..it sometimes work but when i close it with all the screws, it does not work anymore. The charger still functions well with out the fan but im worried that without the fan, it will overheat in the future.

Thanks
mikeramos is offline Find More Posts by mikeramos