SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2008, 11:47 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
You might want to share a few more details some time. "On my local flying field" doesn't help to reconcile one set of data with another
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2008, 01:52 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
You might want to share a few more details some time. "On my local flying field" doesn't help to reconcile one set of data with another
My homepage is no secret, and here you can find my local flying field:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de...h&z=13&iwloc=A

Range test performed with tx antenna approx. 1m above ground and rx antenna 1.5m above ground.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
OK - I took the time to look. It's not at all obvious from the satallite how flat the ground is. Also it looks like you must have had to cross a number of field boundaries in the course of that test. Is that true?
Old May 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
OK - I took the time to look. It's not at all obvious from the satallite how flat the ground is. Also it looks like you must have had to cross a number of field boundaries in the course of that test. Is that true?
The area is completely flat. While the tx were standing upright on a table in the preparation area, all I had to do was driving South East on "Die große Heerstaße" (which goes a lot further than shown on the map). The only "obstacle" is a high power line running from West to East approx. 400m South of the field.

Jürgen
Old May 29, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
So you have clear line of site with a minimum 0f 1meter clearance above the hight of the crops/weeds/grass for the whole line of site? The only other obstruction is the power line - right?

If you are inclined, this:http://www.tapr.org/ve3jf.dcc97.html is a very good read and explains the prapagation effects behind range variability near to the ground.

You drove with the receivers and then what, placed them on a table or similar?

Regards and thanks for taking the time.
Last edited by teamdavey; May 29, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,489 Posts
Quote:
So you have clear line of site with a minimum 0f 1meter clearance above the hight of the crops/weeds/grass for the whole line of site? The only other obstruction is the power line - right?

If you are inclined, this:http://www.tapr.org/ve3jf.dcc97.html is a very good read and explains the prapagation effects behind range variability near to the ground.

when we do a range check --it can be as long as one can see.The field is level -like a billiards table - really
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
No issues with wet grass there - then
Old May 29, 2008, 09:43 PM
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
when we do a range check --it can be as long as one can see.The field is level -like a billiards table - really

Did you "forget" that it was concrete, or did you like to keep the suspense going?

TeamDavey, is right, no issues with wet grass there.......unlike my field You are lucky....

Edit: no pun intended, the suspense thing was a joke
TheFlyingAce is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingAce
Old May 30, 2008, 03:55 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:

At the time of testing, there was only grass and empty fields.

I drive away from the transmitter while holding the rx outside the car approx. 5ft above ground. When I reach the max. range, I also get out of the car and walk back and forth with the rx, holding it approx. 5ft above ground to check exactly when contact is lost and regained.

Jürgen
Old May 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingAce
Did you "forget" that it was concrete, or did you like to keep the suspense going?

TeamDavey, is right, no issues with wet grass there.......unlike my field You are lucky....

Edit: no pun intended, the suspense thing was a joke
Actually flatter than concrete - it is salty mud which "floats" with groundwater at night - then dries perfectly level in th sun
part of the saltflats you may have heard about - miles of perfectly flat surface.
When I first started flying RC-I saw that few guys could land where they wanted to -because you simply reduced power then let it land wherever it may -it was all runway -
I had to learn to land when I moved to a city with a 10x100ft runway -
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Actually flatter than concrete - it is salty mud which "floats" with groundwater at night - then dries perfectly level in th sun
part of the saltflats you may have heard about - miles of perfectly flat surface.
When I first started flying RC-I saw that few guys could land where they wanted to -because you simply reduced power then let it land wherever it may -it was all runway -
I had to learn to land when I moved to a city with a 10x100ft runway -

Wow, I must say, you had me going there, it looks like concrete in that pic, but does it look like concrete in person?
TheFlyingAce is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingAce
Old May 31, 2008, 02:50 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
DX7 range...

As most people will say, you will not find a specific number but from personal experience with my DX7 and receivers ranging from the AR6000, AR6100, AR6200 and AR7000 I have flown my planes away from me until they are specs but am not able to take it any further because I'd lose orientation on them. Vertically I have taken them up so far I have lost sight of them, wait until I can see it again and then take control once again. I would say that you should feel pretty safe that it will go farther than you can actually see your plane safely. These experiments have been done with small foamies like the Funjet and as big as a 55+ inch wing span balsa plane. So, I wouldn't worry too much about how far you can take it. It will be out of your sight range before you will lose it. Just my 2 cents.

jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingAce
I'm not looking for an specific figure, but rather a good estimate, because I can see the model 1/2 a mile away and it not be operational if it's out of range.

Can anybody give me a good estimate, or average, because I want to try and do some long distance flying (at least a mile) with an fpv setup (the cam is well over 3 miles, so that's not the problem, it's the radio's range I'm concerned about) 8D

Thanks to any help.....
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old May 31, 2008, 03:04 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
Jurgen - thanks