HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2008, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum claims the DX7 has full range....does anyone know the actual range in ft?

Does anyone know the actual operational range of the dx7 in ft or miles (if it goes that far) of the dx7? I've never gotten it farther than a couple hundred feet, do I've never tested it to it's capabilities.
TheFlyingAce is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingAce
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2008, 06:08 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
I rather doubt you will find anyone willing to state a specific figure. Too many variables - terrain, antenna location/orientation, even atmospheric conditions. Accept "as far as you can see the model" and you will be fine.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old May 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
I'm not

I'm not looking for an specific figure, but rather a good estimate, because I can see the model 1/2 a mile away and it not be operational if it's out of range.

Can anybody give me a good estimate, or average, because I want to try and do some long distance flying (at least a mile) with an fpv setup (the cam is well over 3 miles, so that's not the problem, it's the radio's range I'm concerned about) 8D

Thanks to any help.....
TheFlyingAce is offline Find More Posts by TheFlyingAce
Old May 26, 2008, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2007
5,991 Posts
They have been privately checked at well over a mile - the problem with ANY radio is that in actual use the immediate enviroment (the model) affects this range. even th 6100 which has been blasted roundly by some " expert" works out this far --provided nothing blanks or reflects the incoming signal
In real world use , the manufacturer says " NO!" it is designed for and made for small in close foam flyer stuf - and in that enviroment - nothing even remotely approaches it for light weight and simple use . I have flown my 6100s - as far as I can see the model attitude (40"span models ) but this is a bad idea - the little models are really best at up to a couple of hundred ft.
But modelers being the group that they are - will try stuf till it quits -- even tho forewarned --
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,442 Posts
Here you go - real world range tests ON THE GROUND (so air will be further)....

1.7-2.8 miles - sounds pretty full range to me!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783753

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2008, 10:01 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
3,500 feet and still had complete control. The on board altimeter verified this on numerous flights. That is far enough for even turbine operations. Flew the DX7/AR9000 setup over 85 flights in my BVM KingCat and NEVER had a frame lost.

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old May 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
I did some range tests at my local flying field. Tx approx. 1m above ground, rx approx. 1.5m above ground. Max. range with European DX7 (100mW peak power) approx. 470m, US DX7 approx. 700m, Futaba FASST approx. 1030m. All tests done the same day under identical conditions.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2007
5,991 Posts
Once more -- the POSSIBLE range may not be the range you will see due to your own installation.
Spektrum /JR offers a excellent receiver diversity arrangement for models where blanking or reflections etc., MAY cause reception fading
these have up to 4 receivers .
If you have a special installation - contact Spectum support and ask about it. We also tested a model with on board altimeter - to 1300ft and the model looks very small at that range. If you intend to do out of operator sight flying - (fly via onboard TVfeedback) you could easily get into trouble.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:35 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,838 Posts
These flights were made with the DX6 and the AR6000 receiver. Traces are from a ZLog altimeter set at zero at take off.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old May 27, 2008, 10:56 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,724 Posts
Note that the DX6 Tx output is less than the DX7 by a significant amount - don't have the time to remind myself of the exact figure right now.

Also, if you dig around you will find that Jurgen's numbers represent very much the low end of anyones published figures.

Way back Larry Hilgert checked out a DX6 at way over a mile as underwritten by these http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783753 tests for the DX7.

My own field checks confirm that a 2:1 ratio in (close to) ground test results can result from the local ground conditions so the range of data you see is not surprising. Note also that Jurgen got only 1030 meters for a FASST which others have seen over 2km. Personally I think Jurgen has some sort of personal RF absorber built in but, hey, your milage (literally) may vary
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old May 27, 2008, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
It is good upto visual ranges. Beyond visual ranges? Why do you care?
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 27, 2008, 03:03 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Jurgen also has a Euro spec radio, so the power is reduced. He did at least one test between full power and Euro power.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 27, 2008, 03:08 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,724 Posts
Yes - I know. He posted both above. My point was that he gets figures that are the lowest published that I have seen.
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old May 27, 2008, 06:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
5,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theacekid
Does anyone know the actual operational range of the dx7 in ft or miles (if it goes that far) of the dx7? I've never gotten it farther than a couple hundred feet, do I've never tested it to it's capabilities.
"full range"-- means operation should be good for any distances we use --
This claim has been shown to be quite accurate by recent model meets where the number of operational DSM2 (Spektrum) radios exceeded the the suggested maximum of systems to operate at one time - other 2.4 systems were also working tho only in token representation (one or two examples .)
Basically , not only is the range excellent - the the system functions well even in what some would view as a saturated model enviroment
I would call that "full range"
Old May 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=9840778

Since you have downlink... how about flying a "Flight Log" capable RX,

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM9540

And watching the number of antenna/frame losses? You could easily see when you are hitting the limit of range before any problems occur.

You can verify range for all of us! (For you site/aircraft/conditions, of course)

You'd need the Flight Log (or an Eagle Tree that plugs into the same spot, or similar) and an AR9000 or AR7000 with the new firmware.
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes