HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Get Real, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Discussion
Hat Cam How To Video Section

I get asked from time to time in threads and pm's about the noggin cam and have been meaning to post some detailed info all in one place for shooting video without a camera person so anyone can learn or try this method out easily.

The two most common questions:

1.What type of cam is it?

Its made by FlipVideo and i use the 30 minute ultra series versions,there 5 ounces and take 2 aa batteries and can be mounted easily on a hat,rc planes and other vehicles or hand held for shooting video of various types. You can find them at kmart,walmart,bestbuy and a whole lot of other places. The 30 minute versions go for $99.00 and sometimes less and $129.00-$149.00 for the 60 minute versions.

2.Hows It Mounted?

Ive used it a couple of ways to shoot video while i fly. The easiest to duplicate is on a standard baseball cap mounted on the visor. Youll want to angle it upward slightly because it points where your head points and not where your eyes look.. you fly less with head movment than eye movement so having it angled up slighly keeps the plane in frame during verticals etc a little easier. A velcro strap or rubber band can be used to get it angled for your flying style... ie the further you keep the plane out the larger the cameras field of view and if you spend most of your time flying a countinous pattern the plane will stay in frame.

As long as you have a point and shoot camera that wont strain your neck wearing it on the visor of a hat you dont need a new camera.. point and shoots with video recording ability will work just as good.

Ive seen noggin cam videos before and results vary.. I just hit record and make sure its recording then put on the hat and fly and try to keep the plane within range of the cam.. this isnt to much of a problem because i like flying closer in most of the time if its not to windy.

The flipvideo cam is really nice for this type of video capture and many others do to its light weight and small size,ive used it for airiel video with rc planes,on nitro off road trucks,in the car,on the job,and for various other types of video documentation. The divx compression format it uses is very high qaulity without using lots of storage and is easily compressed and converted to wmv format for uploading in a universal format for windows users and server uploading using windows movie maker 2 software which most have already on there computer(its a free download for windows users if you dont have it but mm1 works to)for editing and conversion,theres also flipvideo software for editing built into the cam if you choose to use it,i use windows movie maker 2 for the editing,compression and conversion to wmv though. The cam is easy to figure out and use and comes with a built in usb port to quickly upload videos to your computer and audio video cable to play directly on a tv as well.

The noggin cam works well enough for me and sometimes i use a second tripod mounted camera to mix footage.. its always better to have more cameras for additional angles and perception of the flying if you have the means. Hope this helps any with questions about the videos i post,feel free to ask questions here or in pm if theres anything i didnt address in this post that i may have forgot.

Video qaulity is higher prior to being compressed for smaller size in wmv format for server uploading.

Sbach 342 Epp Backyard Flying! (5 min 3 sec)

GRX-v2(48'' Wingspan)Crashes After Breaking Off Elevator 7-4-2009 (7 min 33 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Last edited by Get Real; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Updating Post
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:23 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
GR, that is cool. I thought that you had to have a hard hat or some type of a helmet for the Noggin cam for sure .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:06 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
another choice

http://www.spygadgets.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

While surfing the web I came across these. Kind of pricey for me but someone might be interested. Not sure how well it records at a distance though.

Mike K.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Oct 16, 2008, 04:26 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
BoneDoc,yep thats the way ive been shooting the ''Noggin Cam'' Vids almost from day one.. the first time i tryed a more rigid mount on the side of the hat though.. the current way i attach it seems most consistant though for field of view.

Heymak,Those are cool..ive seen video shot with those before. There about 3 times the price of the flip video camera but probally a lot more convienent to wear while flying.. and you wont get blinded in bright sun as well,would have to pop the lenses out though for night flying probally .

Heres a couple more recent videos.. one in better lighting then the original in post and one in night time lighting.

Techone Spirit EPP First Flights! (7 min 28 sec)
Last edited by Get Real; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 04:02 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Noggin Cam Dual Perspective Video Shot 11-2-2008

Because i knew this little camera would work well for the purposes i had in mind i got two of them.. got a really good deal and after some testing with the first one i bought a second. Using two you can make videos with dual perspectives.. i do this from time to time and heres one of them below. I recently replaced my ebt.. the original was lost do to being in a hurry and not checking the radio programming,this video was shot on the second flight with the new one. The EBT is great for ap and video.. gentle flight characteristics,self righting,good power to weight and payload capacity for cameras etc with its big wing.

53'' EBT Fun Flying AP 11-2-2008 (6 min 54 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:05 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Some More Dual Perspective Videos

Multable cameras are nice,you can get cool video from each cam and mix it together from scene to scene or start with one perspective from one camera and finish from another cams perspective. Heres a couple more videos.

Started with a stationary camera and went to the noggin cam view.
Techonehobby Piaget Backyard Flying 2-8-2009 (5 min 55 sec)

The trex 600,mixing videos from the heli and the ''Noggin Cam'' together.
Trex 600 (Dual Perspective Video) 6-29-2008 (8 min 24 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2A8o...e=channel_page
Last edited by Get Real; Feb 15, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Get Real,

I ran across your thread tonight and was glad to see it. I made a noggin cam last weekend and used a mount on a baseball cap that is similar to the mount I use on my AP plane.

TaSaJaRa here on RC Groups came up with the basic design for AP planes so I decided to use a modified version for my noggin cam. It is very stable and easily adjusted.

Actually it works quite well and I can mount either my Canon DC20 video camera or my Pentax Optio S5Z camera with video capability. I like the Pentax better because it is lighter and a little more compact. Here are a couple of images of the noggin cam and the video.

I hope more folks post info and pictures to your thread.

Mark

NOGGIN CAM USING THE PENTAX OPTIO S5Z
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:47 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
The noggin cam set up works well for many on here,especially if you fly alone most of the time. Your video came out really well,seems to work best for people that fly close in. Feel free to add more video or info on your set ups.. it will help others that are interested or unaware of other ways to shoot video of there flying.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:52 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Apr 2008
1,069 Posts
Here is another short video clip using the noggin cam. It is a picture in picture view. The main screen is the noggin cam and the video at the lower right hand corner was captured by leadfeather on RC Groups using my Canon DC20 video recorder.

Mark

EPP YAK55 FILMED WITH THE NOGGIN CAM
Trouble Maker is offline Find More Posts by Trouble Maker
Last edited by Trouble Maker; Mar 10, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Heres another video,this one brings the plane in pretty close at times and i might as well put it in here,green grass,nice blue sky and good lighting. I see more noggin cam videos popping up in the threads so i guess this helps method of filming helps some out atleast.

3DHobbyShop 51'' Slick OOPS 5-10-2009 (4 min 38 sec)
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
A few Hat and Head Band Camera Mounts

I have made two camera mounts for my head so far, and may make another as I collect various mini DVR camera. The first was the head band project using car dash mounting parts the camera came with. The mini camera has since stopped working after the very tiny flash card missed the slot when I was trying to reinstall it. When I opened the camera case, I discovered one of the tiny wires from the LiPo battery pack had come loose. I still don't have proper soldering equipment to fix such a tiny connection. I will have to get another camera like the first to put the head band back in service.

The US Air Force hat is my latest hat cam project. The mini DVR camera is at least 50% larger than my first mini camera. It is made by Turnigy, or marketed by them, and are the same folks that market all sorts of RC parts and pieces for model aircraft. I still need to design an eye piece to help ensure proper tracking of an RC flyer, but the battery is tiny like a very tiny cell phone LiPo pack. It looks like spares can be purchased and a charger may be available for the battery packs. It also uses the tiny flash cards.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Aug 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling ...