HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2008, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2008
11 Posts
Build Log
SCRATCH Avro Lancaster Design & Build

After much deliberation, have finally decided to start a Scratch design and build project. Many aircraft considered, XP55 Ascender, XP54 Swoose Goose, Typhoon MkV, Mosquito to name a few. Was looking for something approachng a 3 meter wing span and decided on a 1:12 Scale Avro Lancaster. Foolish i guess, considering this is my first attempt at power scratch design and build and choosing perhaps one of the more complex WW2 Aircraft, (4 x IC engines - Mmmm?).

Am giving myself a year to complete, at the end of which, i could see it trashed within seconds of getting into the air but i guess that's the thrill of it.

General specification at this stage is that it will follow as close to the scale detail as possible with lots of working features. Full Control Surfaces, Navigation and Bomber Formation Lights, Moving Turrets and Guns, True to Scale Undercarriage and fully operational, working Bomb Doors and Bomb Release, finite internal detail, aluminium skins individually panelled. Tall order but someone has to do it. May as well be me.

Using a huge resource collection i have gathered over the past 4 months, will be modelling each and very Former and using Solidworks 3D modelling software to develop the model, allowing me to design, draw and virtually build the entire model before i start manufacture. For those that are interested, will be posting progress. Why bother? You may find it interesting and have a crack at the build yourself once i release the plans, (assuming the thing works of course).

Anyway, i wish myself good luck and feel as if i'm entering a new stage in my life, somewhat reclusive perhaps given the task that lies ahead, but one that hopefully brings great satisfaction. Or, should i just not bother?

Don't know whether i should just complete the entire design first and then build, or, complete one section at a time, ie: design, detail the Nose, draw up internals, then build the section and skin. Once complete, then go onto the Cockpit Section. Also, is 1:12 a good scale for it, or should i go bigger? Don't really want to go smaller.
RCAP is offline Find More Posts by RCAP
Last edited by RCAP; May 23, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2008
7 Posts
Hi , how's the work going on, I'm working the enlarge the plans of a B-17 bomber to a wingspan of 3,5m, hope I got the guts to start building when I've draw all the plans. Hope to see some update of your lanc when you build it.

greetz rom Belgium
Gino's is offline Find More Posts by Gino's
Old Jan 25, 2009, 04:44 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,125 Posts
What ever happened to this project?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303