HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Discussion
Latex paint?

Has anyone used Latex house paint over fiberglass?
I have two aircraft that are getting close to pain.
I have glassed them with 1/2 oz. cloth.
what type of primer do I use and will the latex paint
flake off? should I use a clear coat? if so what brand?
It is an electric aircraft.
thanks in advance for all the info.
170flyer is offline Find More Posts by 170flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2008, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
I don't know the answer but you will probably get a lot of good advice in the composite and fab forum. ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/composites-fabrication-210/

They deal with exactly what you are doing and can offer some pretty good advice.

Remember this is a holiday weekend for the U.S. so the answer may be slow in the comming.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Last edited by Obake; May 23, 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,433 Posts
Why would you want to use latex paint over glass??? Since it is glass, you can use any paint you like including auto enamels (think pearlescents, shimmers, etc.)
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Jun 03, 2008, 12:49 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
IPFlyer- I like the wide variety of colors and the price. I build scale a/c and I am using glass for the first time, I use to use monocote. any paint you can recommend that I can match any color I need??
thanks.

LouieB - Thanks for the links, very helpful.
170flyer is offline Find More Posts by 170flyer
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer
Has anyone used Latex house paint over fiberglass?
I have two aircraft that are getting close to pain.
I have glassed them with 1/2 oz. cloth.
what type of primer do I use and will the latex paint
flake off? should I use a clear coat? if so what brand?
It is an electric aircraft.
thanks in advance for all the info.
I wouldn`t use it. It wont adhere well, and will easily flake off.
pyroarch57 is online now Find More Posts by pyroarch57
Old Jun 04, 2008, 02:29 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,252 Posts
Latex absolutely works, offers an array of colors, easy on the lungs, etc. It does require it's own set of considerations, preparation, etc. Every year at the WRAM Show one of the seminars is Latex Finishing presented by Roy Vaillancourt, a fine scale modeler who had done many a spectacular RC warbird. I'll try to hunt up my handouts from a few years back. You might also want to search the WRAM website.

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/p...ying-latex.pdf
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Nov 14, 2008, 03:34 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
My Beverly is painted with Valspar latex house paint from Home Depot sprayed over Doculam and Ultracote. You can use any brand. You can spray over fiberglass but you must first scuff the surface that you are painting with either steel wool, Scotch Brite pad, or sandpaper. Preferrably around 320 grit for sandpaper, white pad for Scotch Brite, and 000 for steel wool. Then wipe down the entire model with either denatured alcohol or acetone. After the wipe down, tack it down with a tac rag. Basically, a rag saturated with beeswax to collect all dust of the surface without leaving any residue for a nice smooth finish. You can get them at any autobody supply house or your local hardware store.

You have to thin down the latex before spraying it with windshield washer fluid. You know, the blue stuff. The cheaper, the better. The reason for windshield washer fluid is that it has a bit of alcohol which aids in the drying time and helps to relieve surface tension letting the paint flow better. You can also add a bit of "Flowtrol" which also aids in a better flow rate of the paint and helps it smooth out nicely.

The latex adheres very well once dry. Complete cure time is around 30 days to fully cure. After that, it is very durable and does not scratch off easily. Notice I said cure time not dry time. It dries in a day but is easily scratched. A week dry time is enough to let you enjoy your model without much damage.

SPasierb's tip about Ray Vaillancourt's tutorial about latex painting is where I got started. You can use flat latex or even gloss. After fully curing out for the recommended 30 days, you can also clear coat over the paint with automotive clears if you wish for an even more durable finish.

Somewhere on the web is the entire areticle from Ray Vaillancourt's latex tutorial. I believe it was with Model Airplane News.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Last edited by Rudderman98; Nov 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:33 AM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
SPasierb's tip about Ray Vaillancourt's tutorial about latex painting is where I got started. You can use flat latex or even gloss. After fully curing out for the recommended 30 days, you can also clear coat over the paint with automotive clears if you wish for an even more durable finish.

Somewhere on the web is the entire areticle from Ray Vaillancourt's latex tutorial. I believe it was with Model Airplane News.

Perry
Beautiful job! Thanks so much for sharing these pictures.

The link I posted above it the Model Airplane News article -- thankfully the link is still active. I plan to go to Ray's workshop again this winter. Will scoop up all of the handouts and scan them.

All good wishes,
Steve
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:22 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
Great paint job Perry!
Like the colors you used. What colors are those?

I think they are very close to the scheme I want to do in the Mirage I am building. I plan to paint in latex as well, hopefully it will turn up ok as this will be my first latex job.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958479

Thanks,
Gaston
gtanoira is offline Find More Posts by gtanoira
Last edited by gtanoira; Nov 26, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
I had marked Roy's article as a favorite but it looks like it was moved or deleted. I recently repainted a 95" KMP B-25 using Behr outdoor latex from Home Depot. The windshield washer fluid makes a great thinner and the flowtrol retards the drying time. The paint will go on with a slight bit of orange peel at first but will be nice and smooth by the time it dries. The plane had been painted with auto acrylic flat which made a perfect base. Best thing about it is you can have HD mix what ever color you want. Here's some pics
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Last edited by SRush99; Nov 27, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Found it!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...s_/ai_n8929737

Good luck!

-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:11 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtanoira
Great paint job Perry!
Like the colors you used. What colors are those?
Thanks,
Gaston
Gaston,
Here are the colors I used. Got the paint from Lowes. They are the brown and the tan.

Beautiful job Stuart! Thanks for the link to Roy's tutorial.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
Gaston,
Here are the colors I used. Got the paint from Lowes. They are the brown and the tan.

Beautiful job Stuart! Thanks for the link to Roy's tutorial.

Perry
Thanks Perry. I didn't know Lowes sold paint in half-pint qty.
Good option, as a quart for each color is way too much for plane painting.

Gaston
gtanoira is offline Find More Posts by gtanoira
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
The version with photos is still live too FWIW...

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/p...ying-latex.pdf
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:55 AM
n.e.michigan
Joined Aug 2006
28 Posts
latex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
I had marked Roy's article as a favorite but it looks like it was moved or deleted. I recently repainted a 95" KMP B-25 using Behr outdoor latex from Home Depot. The windshield washer fluid makes a great thinner and the flowtrol retards the drying time. The paint will go on with a slight bit of orange peel at first but will be nice and smooth by the time it dries. The plane had been painted with auto acrylic flat which made a perfect base. Best thing about it is you can have HD mix what ever color you want. Here's some pics
is the latex fuel proof?
pugstrip is offline Find More Posts by pugstrip